Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of signings.

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
Its very quiet on the transfer front, I am not expecting the rush of signings that we had this time last year, but with the players reporting back for training in a littl eover 2 weeks I am hoping something may happen soon, having said that, I think contracts end at the end of June, so we may have signings wrapped up but not able to announce them until the end of the month!

Comments

• Options
    Don't panic!
  • Options
    i go on holiday next week, always make our signings when i'm away.
  • Options
    not just us though is it?

been very few signings anywhere tbf.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    i go on holiday next week, always make our signings when i'm away.
    Yep, me too on both counts so that must be a cert

AFKA pointed out how valuable early signings were here - http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/48167/new-article-the-ten-reasons-charlton-won-the-league-part-1

We had 3 in by now and 10 by end of June
  • Options
    Maybe we are having the old troubles of signing who we want and have moved into 'second choices'?
  • Options
    It's very different to last year though. Last season we were looking at starting off our pre-season with one (useless) centre back, one keeper, no left backs, one striker and not a great deal of anything else. Aside from BWP and Jackson we didn't have anyone who was a recognised stand-out performer for our league. We absolutely had to get players in quickly then, now not so much. We've got a well-stocked, settled, title winning side and I think we can afford to take our time and make sure we get the best value for money possible.
  • Options
    It's very different to last year though. Last season we were looking at starting off our pre-season with one (useless) centre back, one keeper, no left backs, one striker and not a great deal of anything else. Aside from BWP and Jackson we didn't have anyone who was a recognised stand-out performer for our league. We absolutely had to get players in quickly then, now not so much. We've got a well-stocked, settled, title winning side and I think we can afford to take our time and make sure we get the best value for money possible.
    Chris Solly?
  • Options

exactly ! Still 2 months before the first game too
  • Options
    Chris Solly?
    Was an unknown quantity to even us at the time. Always liked him but he'd made something like 10 league starts before this season over a few years. No-one could have identified him as a proven performer for our league this time last year - some people on here even wanted Francis ahead of him
  • Options

I know, but I just think we can't say on the one hand getting early signings in is critical to success when we do it and then say it isn't when we don't.

I wouldn't say I'm panicking but it would be great to see some movement. But hey, it could all be going on behind closed doors.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's been very quiet, with hardly any signings in the Championship, even the likes of leicester seem to have bought nobody yet
  • Options

I know, but I just think we can't say on the one hand getting early signings in is critical to success when we do it and then say it isn't when we don't.

I wouldn't say I'm panicking but it would be great to see some movement. But hey, it could all be going on behind closed doors.
    Hopefully all of our targets are still at the Euro's :)
  • Options
    It's been very quiet, with hardly any signings in the Championship, even the likes of leicester seem to have bought nobody yet
    They've signed 3 players already - including Jamie Vardy !
  • Options
    It'll be early July before it really gets going.
  • Options
    Plenty of stuff going on behind the scenes, no need to panic.

Only two real points which I personally see as important:

1. When pre season training starts, and
    2. When they go on their pre season jolly.

Anything before 1. Is largely irrelevant.

If a few key signings haven't been made by 2. Then it is obviously proving harder than we thought.
  • Options
    I forgot about him se9, blame the BBC website for not carrying on the front page stories going back that far!
  • Options
    I'd say getting the signings in early was critical because we were building a whole new squad, therefore time to gel was key. This year we are going to be making far fewer signings, there won't be the same issue with over a dozen strangers having to gel very quickly. We should just be tweaking the squad and strengthening where necessary. Therefore it's not as critical to get the signings in as early. It'd be nice, but nobody else is making signings yet, so I think talk of missing targets and moving onto second targets, etc. is extremely premature, and talk of panic is just plain ridiculous.

I've noted it on other threads, but the level of hyperbole on this board recently is easily the worst I've ever seen on any board in the world ever! ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Here's a Championship transfer tracker. With the exception of 2 or 3 clubs, there aren't many confirmed deals as yet.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~2787341,00.html
  • Options
    So true- why do some seem oblivious of this simple fact?

• Options
    there are lots of deals there that have been agreed but obviously not confirmed till july 1st though. I.e Gardner to Wednesday. Martin to Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Messi to Charlton
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    so i have heard we have 5 in the pipeline which cannot be publicised untill their contracts expire at the end of the month, this is from a source with contacts within the club.
  • Options
    Plenty of stuff going on behind the scenes, no need to panic.

Only two real points which I personally see as important:

1. When pre season training starts, and
    2. When they go on their pre season jolly.

Anything before 1. Is largely irrelevant.

If a few key signings haven't been made by 2. Then it is obviously proving harder than we thought.
    Chris Powell said last year that having the majority of the signings in place for Lepe trip was vital, you cannot under estimate the effect this had on team morale! Pretty much agree with both points.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Afka I trust.

Until he officially announces time to panic, I am in chillsville.
  • Options
    Just go on the rumor rumor thread or FR, according to them we've already signed 100 teams worth of players.
  • Options
    so i have heard we have 5 in the pipeline which cannot be publicised untill their contracts expire at the end of the month, this is from a source with contacts within the club.
    Heard something similar about five players in maybe Solly and Waggy out.
  • Options
    Heard something similar about five players in maybe Solly and Waggy out.
  • Options
    interesting to see fleetwood replaced vardy with jon parkin on a free haha
  • Options
    And Messi to Charlton
    Thats Mikkel Messi I assume ... he's not Messi, he's his brother!

• Options