Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey Cricketer Dies age 23

Comments

• Options
    He was killed by Wimdeldon Park Tube station.My wife is a pratice manager near the scene. The Police were following his BMW in which driving all over the place. When they tried to pull him over he took off at high speed. Dumped the car and ean down Aurther Rd. Climbed over fences to escape the Police.When he ran down the grass bank in which is met by the tracks of the undetground.Very sad for his loss,but if this was a normal 23 year old driving drunk in the early hours and trying to escape the local police would everyone on here be as sympayhetic??
    I think most people would feel sad at the needless loss of a young life whilst simultaneously recognising the alleged wrongdoing you mention.

As you state this was not "a normal" 23 year old but one with a rare talent which sadly will not now be fulfilled. That is sad even if he is partly to blame for what happened which we still do not know for sure.
  • Options
    Jeez there's some heartless buggers aroud. The poor lad's body isn't even cold and one or two are looklng for reasons to have a sly dig......
    a bit of respect please guys.
  • Options
    Jeez there's some heartless buggers aroud. The poor lad's body isn't even cold and one or two are looklng for reasons to have a sly dig......
    a bit of respect please guys.
    I don't think you'd be describing him as `a poor lad' if he'd just run over a member of your family...

The bottom line is the bloke was up to no good, was perfectly aware of it and brought it onto himself. I think you'll find `respect' a little thin on the ground on this one.

• Options
    He was killed by Wimdeldon Park Tube station.My wife is a pratice manager near the scene. The Police were following his BMW in which driving all over the place. When they tried to pull him over he took off at high speed. Dumped the car and ean down Aurther Rd. Climbed over fences to escape the Police.When he ran down the grass bank in which is met by the tracks of the undetground.Very sad for his loss,but if this was a normal 23 year old driving drunk in the early hours and trying to escape the local police would everyone on here be as sympayhetic??
    Finally some sense,
    RIP
    Utterly stupid and dangerous behaviour indeed.

But it is also evident, given the warnings he had already received by Surrey and that he can't have been in the right mind thinking that by running away from his own car he wouldn't get caught, that he had issues that needed addressing.

A tragic loss of life and something that his family will never get over.
  • Options
    Stunned by this news. It's unbelievable that only a few hours earlier the lad was playing in front of a big crowd at Beckenham and then he meets this tragic end.
    The assumption is that he was drink driving and no one is going to condone that, but surely we can all mourn this senseless waste of a young life.
    A great loss for the game and, more importantly, a tragedy for his poor family.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I saw him play on Sunday at Beckenham, his first game back after missing Surrey's previous two T20 games for ''disciplinary reasons''.

He was disciplined because on day three of the recent four day game v Sussex at Horsham he spent the night in Lola's in Brighton and turned up on the final morning - when Surrey needed to bat all day to save the match -much the worse for wear and sporting a black eye.

Surrey CCC officially claimed he had sustained the black eye in a car accident; but then it emerged that as a result of the incident he had been disciplined and left out of the squad so the innocent accident story didn't quite stack up.

He was a troubled young man with a known drink problem and you have to wonder about Surrey's handling of the situation.Having just returned to the team yesterday after a disicplinary procedure, he was presumably on some kind of last warning... and so when he got pulled over for drunk driving, did he reckon he was going to get the sack and that contributed to his stupid decision to do a runner?

Should Surrey have handled it better and as well as disciplining him, insisted that he got treatment? Given he was only just returning to the team after the previous incident, should he not have been mentored/accompanied by a senior player that evening? Given his known problems , could Surrey have done more to ensure that he wasn't driving his high performance car around west London while off his face at 4am?

I'm not lumping all the blame on the club, but these are questions the coroner will have to ask. Certainly, young and virile pro-sportsmen on a mission to get pissed take some thwarting. But football clubs have got quite good at managing this sort of thing (although I concede that the Joey Bartons of this world show it doesn't always work). I suspect county cricket is some way behind professional football in knowing how to manage these situations.
  • Options
    Fair points there, have to say the above is a very thought-provoking post.

Whatever the idiocy of the circumstances, thoughts with Tom Maynard and his family. RIP.
  • Options
    I saw him play on Sunday at Beckenham, his first game back after missing Surrey's previous two T20 games for ''disciplinary reasons''.

He was disciplined because on day three of the recent four day game v Sussex at Horsham he spent the night in Lola's in Brighton and turned up on the final morning - when Surrey needed to bat all day to save the match -much the worse for wear and sporting a black eye.

Surrey CCC officially claimed he had sustained the black eye in a car accident; but then it emerged that as a result of the incident he had been disciplined and left out of the squad so the innocent accident story didn't quite stack up.

He was a troubled young man with a known drink problem and you have to wonder about Surrey's handling of the situation.Having just returned to the team yesterday after a disicplinary procedure, he was presumably on some kind of last warning... and so when he got pulled over for drunk driving, did he reckon he was going to get the sack and that contributed to his stupid decision to do a runner?

Should Surrey have handled it better and as well as disciplining him, insisted that he got treatment? Given he was only just returning to the team after the previous incident, should he not have been mentored/accompanied by a senior player that evening? Given his known problems , could Surrey have done more to ensure that he wasn't driving his high performance car around west London while off his face at 4am?

I'm not lumping all the blame on the club, but these are questions the coroner will have to ask. Certainly, young and virile pro-sportsmen on a mission to get pissed take some thwarting. But football clubs have got quite good at managing this sort of thing (although I concede that the Joey Bartons of this world show it doesn't always work). I suspect county cricket is some way behind professional football in knowing how to manage these situations.
    Thanks for that insight, IA. I had no idea of the events around the Sussex match.

Friend told me at lunchtime that she'd heard a newsflash stating a 23 yr old batsman who'd played at Beckenham on Sunday had been killed by a tube train but couldn't remember his name. My initial thoughts were which Kent youngster could it be.....and then found out it was Maynard. Hard to take in that this young man was at the crease in front of us only 12 hours prior to his tragic demise.

Fame, fortune & youth - a heady mix which, sadly some find SO hard to cope with.

• Options
    very very sad situation RIP

but remember the reaction to the goalie who is coming out of jail, so i can understand some peoples bitterness to this horrendous situation
  • Options

but remember the reaction to the goalie who is coming out of jail, so i can understand some peoples bitterness to this horrendous situation
    this

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to hear of any 23 year old losing their life due to a stupid mistake. There can't be many who can't hold their hands up and admit that they haven't made a silly mistake at some stage of their lives. I know I did my fair share of driving under the influence in my youth, but attitudes to drink driving were very different 35 years ago and people are now far more aware of the dangers and potential consequences to others.
    RIP
  • Options
    Sad to hear of any 23 year old losing their life due to a stupid mistake. There can't be many who can't hold their hands up and admit that they haven't made a silly mistake at some stage of their lives. I know I did my fair share of driving under the influence in my youth, but attitudes to drink driving were very different 35 years ago and people are now far more aware of the dangers and potential consequences to others.
    RIP
    Well said that man.
  • Options
    His dad had a huge drink problem here in cardiff when he was just starting to break into the england team. Very sad though.
  • Options
    very sad, better I suppose that he killed himself rather than someone else.
    RIP.
  • Options

The goalkeeper killed people by driving into their vehicle. Different scenario. We can all say "what if" and, if we are honest about our lifetime experiences, "there but for the grace of God."
  • Options
    I think whatever your opinion on Tom Maynard, I think we can all agree it was a terrible waste of a great talent and most of all, do NOT drink and drive. Ever.
  • Options
    I think whatever your opinion on Tom Maynard, I think we can all agree it was a terrible waste of a great talent and most of all, do NOT drink and drive. Ever.
    Most of all, do not run across electrified railway lines (especially if they are live rails) :-(
  • Options
    It's a shame that some are finding it hard to be sympathetic. Yes, he acted in a bad way. Yes he could've caused damage to others, but he didn't. The lad is 23 years old. He hasn't lived yet. I mean, the majority of people his age are trying to find a job after leaving university. He had a talent and it's been wasted. His family and friends are all distraught.
  • Options
    A young man who fell into a situation that many do

Sad situation all round
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's an appalling waste of a life, and my sympathies go out to his relatives and former colleagues, but you can't help thinking that if a young upcoming footballer had done something similar, there would have been far more of a 'moral outcry' in the media about the 'moral depravity' of football etc
  • Options
    The guy has done a x
  • Options
    Meant to say a c
  • Options
    Meant to say the guy has done a couple of drugs that half the people on this site have probably done at some point

Terrible waste of life

Rip
  • Options
    Yep and that some proberly still do

Its a social issue and one that wont go away
  • Options
    Yes, tragic. RIP
  • Options

Meant to say the guy has done a couple of drugs that half the people on this site have probably done at some point

I suspect the drug taking wasn't the problem with most people. The drink driving on the other hand....

• Options

Terrible waste of life

Rip

On more occasions than you care to remember but you know what I was never that stupid to get in a car at the same time. No sympathy from me.
  • Options
    ......for me the 'stupid' thing is the drug taking! No sympathy from me generally for anybody whose quality of life is diminished through drug-taking. It's the lives that 'druggies' ruin in the process (e.g. Kids) that angers me.
  • Options

Terrible waste of life

Rip

Is that really the case? The number of people regularly taking cocaine and MDMA isn't that high, apart from anything else a coke habit isn't cheap.

The guy clearly had a serious problem, but the 3 of them sound pretty unprofessional, going out drinking until 3 in the morning. These are meant to be professional sportsmen in the middle of the packed cricket season. It's hard to believe a cricketer could regularly take recreational drugs without the other 2 players knowing about it, as cricketers spend a lot of time together during the season...