Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Party Planning, ICE, Food

edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
Having a party in July for about 50-60 people. Hoping it is a nice day so thinking i need to buy ice, any tips on keeping drinks cold?
Thinking i will buy party food and hoping to keep it simple but i do tend to overcomplicate things and subsequently end up stressed!! so any tips gratefully received. Only planning so far is buying 2 strips of bunting and 3 bottles of pims - help

Comments

• Buy some cheap big plastic tubs from one of the pound shops and keep filled with ice / water and lots of lovely bottles of beer.
  • Get one of those blue builders barrels and fill it with as much water and ice as you can, then sling all the bottles in there.
  • Rather than paying for ice in the local offy, go to mcdonalds and pay about a tenner into the charity and they will give you a big old bin liner full of ice
  • Buy some cheap big plastic tubs from one of the pound shops and keep filled with ice / water and lots of lovely bottles of beer.
  • Get one of those blue builders barrels and fill it with as much water and ice as you can, then sling all the bottles in there.
    Make some large ice cubes in ice-cream sized containers, about 4-5 and it will keep the drinks nice and chilled.
  • Great thanks for this.
  • Big tip. Put the drinks in the tub first and THEN pour the ice on top.

I am in Oz, where having ice cold beer is a religion, and the amount of freshly arrived Poms that put their ice in the Esky first is amazing.

I am in Oz, where having ice cold beer is a religion, and the amount of freshly arrived Poms that put their ice in the Esky first is amazing.
    Serious question. Why ?
  • Fourth law of thermodynamics!

• I am in Oz, where having ice cold beer is a religion, and the amount of freshly arrived Poms that put their ice in the Esky first is amazing.
    Never understood the term 'pom'. I know it means .. 'Prisoner of the Mother Country', but surely Australians should be called it beings the country was populated with our criminals ?

• Sponsored links:

Serious question. Why ?
    Fourth law of thermodynamics!</

Nope. You're gonna have to do better than that. I reckon it can't make any measurable difference ?

• Sometimes waiting for the beer to cool down in the fridge just takes too long, especially when you have friends over. The best way to cool beer real fast--in literally a few minutes--is done with common house hold items. These include salt, water, a bucket or container, and ice.
    1. First put the beers in the container and fill it with ice and water until all the beers are completely covered with water and ice.

2. It's best to cover the beer with ice first and then pour in water. It helps if the water is already decently cool.

3. Once that's all done put in about two cups of salt, which seems like a lot but it'll speed things up.

4. Then stir all of that in the container to make sure that the salt is spread out evenly.

5. If you have a fridge, stick the container with the beers and ice water mixture into the freezer. Take it out in a couple of minutes. Don't keep it in there too long.

Now take it out and the beer should be ice cold.

To explain how this works:
    The salt lowers the freezing point of water so the ice melts but stays below the freezing point. The water is necessary because it has a greater surface area and surrounds the beer better than the ice alone would. Ice has a rigid shape and would only touch small parts of the beer cans.

Now another trick you can do if your outside:
    If you spin the beer can(s) in the chilled salt water, you can cool the cans to a tolerable temperature in about a minute. The moving liquid inside helps transfer the heat rapidly out of the can.

I also heard that using a fire extinguisher on beer can cool it real fast....but I wouldn't try that.

Published by saltair
    View profile
  • Harder to dig bottles into ice than pour ice over bottles surely?
  • If you spin the beer can(s) in the chilled salt water, you can cool the cans to a tolerable temperature in about a minute. The moving liquid inside helps transfer the heat rapidly out of the can.
    I have a little gadget that does this and it works a treat. If we ever get some good weather, I'll dig it out.

Another little tip, cover the tub with the ice and beers with a towel. If you are outside make it a wet towel, but for obvious reasons, you might not want to do this indoors.
  • I usually go to majestic and buy some ice there and also hire some big tubs and glasses (hire is free, just have to pay a deposit). I also tie bottle openers to the tubs so they don't get lost.