Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Elliott made CBE

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
Ex Charlton defender Paul Elliott is made a CBE in the queens birthday honours list for his work in kicking racism out of sport..... congratulations Paul

Comments

• Options
    Great player, great man, well deserved, congratulations Mr Elliot CBE.
  • Options
    Was more naffed off when he left thani was Paul Walsh. He always speaks well of CAFC and seems to be a genuine nice guy. Great shame his injury. cut short his carer.

I think he has voted best overseas player when he played in Italy and was Septics player of the year with them.
  • Options
    Excellent news. Thoroughly deserves it. Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    Well deserved.

Bumped into him in the Ramblers Rest in Chislehurst some years back and he took the time to have a chat.
  • Options
    Nice bloke...shame he couldnt have stayed at the club. Quite funny guy as well.
  • Options
    Great guy and well deserved. For a worthy cause as well.
  • Options
    Well done Paul. A credit to his profession.
  • Options
    Was at the Valley last game of the season
  • Options
    I think he must live up Blackheath, seen him up there a couple of times (going back 2-3 years though).
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Chislehurst I think
    Well deserved award for a good man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's easy to get cynical about the award of honours. When some sycophantic oaf gets a medal it makes me cringe, but when a thoroughly decent person doing something useful gets one, it all seems to be a good system.
  • Options
    Well deserved.
  • Options
    I had the pleasure of his company for a good few hours recently on a tour of the Olympic park. Incredibly nice chap.

On the board of tons of things but spoke very well of Charlton, SCP and Alex Dyer.

Said Peter Varney insisted we get SCP in order to come back to us - board preference was some little menace.

He said his dad had nothing when he died but gave Paul 3 bits of advice.

1 buy a property in blackheath when you can afford to
    2 buy a property in chislehurst when you can afford to
    3 buy a property in keston when you can afford to

He now owns several in blackheath and Chis but lives in Keston
  • Options
    Yep very well done to Paul ;)

Great to see recognition from the highest quarters for all his efforts to `make a difference' as he puts it. He's clearly a top bloke with a heart to match and we are blessed to have him representing the club in, well, any capacity really. He's an example to us all.
  • Options
    Lovely man who always has time, to talk Charlton. When he had his academy we did a bit of work for him.He gave my dad one of his Chelsea shirts which we still have in the shop. Well deserved and along with Rufus one of two best centre halves I have ever seen where a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Have Paul lined up to come to Bromley Addicks next season.
  • Options
    ...along with Rufus one of two best centre halves I have ever seen wear a Charlton shirt.
    THAT is a very good shout I reckon. I'm struggling to think of anyone to challenge those two.

• Options
    Great news.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Top class, and then he'd put on his dreadlocks and play under the alias Ruud Gullit!
  • Options
    The highest honour yet given to any player from the Premier League era. Thoroughly deserved for Paul who always comes across in a very humble & dignified manner. As mentioned above, it was his loss to Luton rather than Walsh which I felt worse about and would love to have seen what a centre half pairing he would have made with Richard Rufus.

Thoroughly deserved upgrade (from his MBE).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (Preparing myself to be shot down in flames as this is only my opinion and observation) but feel no affiation towards the guy. Left as soon as he could and is only back working for the club as he's not "legend" enough for the spoilt chelsea fans anymore.

Nothing against him getting the CBE though as it seems he's certainly deserves it.
  • Options
    (Preparing myself to be shot down in flames as this is only my opinion and observation) but feel no affiation towards the guy. Left as soon as he could and is only back working for the club as he's not "legend" enough for the spoilt chelsea fans anymore.

Nothing against him getting the CBE though as it seems he's certainly deserves it.
    Consider yourself shot down in flames. : - )

Left as soon as the Club sold him. Not as if he forced us to sell him.

Been involved with the Trust for years. As far as I know he doesn't do any paid work for the club but has long supported the good work CACT does and backed the Club in its anti-racism work as well.

Yes, he is often seen on TV as an "ex-Chelsea" player but that is Sky's angle not his. If they want an articulate ex-chelsea player to do an interview they ring Paul. What is he meant to do? Demand equal questions on Charlton, Celtic and Parma (was it them he played for?)

Come along to the Bromley meeting next season and hear him for yourself, then judge.
  • Options
    Well said Henry. Paul's Italian club was Pisa and he was also with Villa for a while. Whilst we didn't have him for long enough, he played 63 games for us and only Luton had more games out if him at 66. It was the club that "packaged" him & Walsh up for Luton. We were desperate for cash and think we also got Steve White in part-ex...
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well said Henry. Paul's Italian club was Pisa and he was also with Villa for a while. Whilst we didn't have him for long enough, he played 63 games for us and only Luton had more games out if him at 66. It was the club that "packaged" him & Walsh up for Luton. We were desperate for cash and think we also got Steve White in part-ex...
    Thanks, I knew Parma wasn't right but couldn't think who it was.

Interesting that he played relatively few games for each of his clubs and that Charlton were the club he played most for after Luton.

Must be strange for some younger fans to read that Charlton would sell a player to Luton because the Hatters were in the top flight and we weren't. And we think we've had it bad over recent years.

• Options
    I seem to recall we played a friendly in Pisa as part of the Paul Elliott deal. I remember being shown a photo of Steve Gritt by the leaning tower.
  • Options
    Just been sent a message that he was doing a meet and greet at my work this lunchtime, ran down there but he's just left, missed him by moments !
  • Options
    Hugo he left us for Luton so I don't think the mid 80's friendly was part of the deal although I do think he played for Pisa against us in that game .

As a player he is in the original Carlisle promotion pictures although he made his debut the following season .I think he was lucky to have the legendary Welsh International Leighton Phillips as his defensive partner ,they complimented each other well .

Like Richard Rufus I think he was unlucky with a bad injury at his peak which meant he never played for England , he certainly deserved to.

As for affinity with the Addicks he commented on the weekend of the Northwich Cup game that he was going to see Charlton his 'first love' and that he always returns to the Addicks.
  • Options
    Paul lives in Keston Park. Great bloke who uses very long words out of context.
  • Options
    Just to throw a spanner in your congratulatory love in, why doesn't he come clean with who made the 'coon flakes' comment. Without having the bollocks to name and shame, he's tarring our club with a racist brush. Put up or shut up Elliott otherwise that statement about a CAFC employee means fuck all.