Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cambodia - Any experience

edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
I am of to Cambodia in a few weeks, anyone been there and able to make recommendations?

Comments

• I think @Chunes lived there for a while
  • He was there 8 months before he got chased from the country.
  • Went there for out honeymoon. Absolutely loved it. Bear in mind our perspective is one of a couple rather than a backpacker. We loved Siem Reap. The town and temples are amazing.

Angkor Wat Sunrise

Also recommend if you go to Kep, then go to the local orphanage and take them some rice. Same if you go to Kampot.

Aspeca Orphanage - Kep

In Kampot I recommend Bokor Hill mountain before it's modernised. There are some impressive abandoned buildings up there at the top.

At the top of the world

Phnom Penh was a bit too manic for me but it still had a lot of charm.

The people are friendly, and if you can get past getting harrassed by kids to buy stuff then you'll be fine.

Just avoid the Durian fruit. It really is as smelly as people say.
  • When I was there I tried some of that Pol Pot, I got smashed out me nut!
  • Amazing country , spent 2 months backpacking there about 8 years ago . All of blackheath addicks advice is spot on . When in Siem reap ask about for a little privately run land mine museum ( can't remember name ) great character that runs the place . Ankor watt is a must , one ofthe most amazing places I have ever visited . Also on a completely different note the killing fields and death camps at phnom penh are an experience you will never forget .
  • I think I can help! I spent a few weeks there a couple of years ago.

Siem Reap is a must to see all of the Temples. The best are Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm. Get yourself a motorcyle tuk-tuk and guide. You wont need to spend more than three days there. The town Siem Reap is quite touristy, but that means you have loads of bars and restaurants.

The capital Phnom Penh isn't very pretty, but the museum, the killing fields and Tuol Sleng/S21 (headquarters, torture chamber and prison, all set in an old school) are worth a visit but very harrowing.

Sihanoukville is a coastal resort where the Gary Glitters of this world are rumoured to hang out, but its nice and laid back there, and you can SCUBA dive there if thats your thing.

Don't bother with Battambang.

On the whole, the Cambodians are amongst the loveliest in South East Asia, and are very friendly and giggly, and aren't constantly trying to rip you off. It's a bit like a poorer thailand if you've been there. Kyhmer curries are good, so are the spicy salads, and Angkor beer is cheap and plentiful! Have you got hotels sorted? If not, I'll try and remember where we stayed, but it was mainly hostels. Kings something-or-other place maybe? in siem reap was good. One final note, don't get a haircut there. I ended up looking like Friar tuck
  • The Dead Kennedys only had good words to say about it
  • I was in Siem Reap last year - just to see Angkor wat although I thought Angkor Thom was more dramatic with the forest taking hold. Wonderful smiley happy people (B42) but poor. Also went to the floating village - absolute must do. Ive made a note to myself to teturn and spend more time there.
  • Went there a couple of months ago, and others have said -Siem Reap and Phnom Penh are a must. I thought the people in Siem Reap were a lot friendlier and more laid back than in phnom penh. It was very moving visiting the killing fields, and angkor was amazing - only got the one day ticket myself - although if you really like ancient architecture you can get the 5day/week pass i do believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was disappointed by the temples, but I am very much the typical backpacker whose highlight of the country was 35p beers on Siem Reap's Pub Street.
  • The Dead Kennedys only had good words to say about it
    Can't hear the name Cambodia without thinking of that. Don't forget to pack a wife.
  • I was disappointed by the temples, but I am very much the typical backpacker whose highlight of the country was 35p beers on Siem Reap's Pub Street.
    If you've spent time in Asia, there is definately such a thing as temple fatigue. And tourist market fatigue. But curiously, not cheap beer fatigue.
  • Yeah I used to live there. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Pete. People above have summed it up pretty well already. I'll just add:

If you go to Sihanoukville, which you should, go out and spend a few days on one of the islands. I'd highly recommend Ten 103 Treehouse Bay, run by a friend of mine's brother. You'll sleep in a treehouse, eat amazingly fresh food caught and picked that day, basically have your own private island and beach. Makes you feel like a billionaire.

You will get hassled on Occheuteal beach. A LOT. Not bad hassle, as it's just kids trying to sell bracelets and a lot of them are really funny. Most people enjoy talking to them but some hate it. If you're looking for a more peaceful life, stay on Otres beach. It's a paradise. Occheuteal has great night-life... Depends what you're looking for.

If you're going to be looking for somewhere to stay then I can put you in touch with a few guesthouse owners who have great places right on the beach. Both with beautiful wooden bars that are suspended over the sea.

If you end up travelling through the country close to Ban Lung, I'd recommend making a stop off there. It's kind of out of the way, but they have a crystal-clear volcanic crater lake there that looks like this:

Amazing to swim in.

I'll be back with more but I have to go out now.
  • Went there in 2008, only for a couple of nights, just to visit Ankor Watt, very impressive and if you did nothing else but visit this place you wont be disappointed. Also remember a music band made up of 5/6 amputees and of course cheap beer as well...have a good trip.
  • go shoot some cows if thats your thing
  • Yeah I used to live there. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Pete. People above have summed it up pretty well already. I'll just add:

If you go to Sihanoukville, which you should, go out and spend a few days on one of the islands. I'd highly recommend Ten 103 Treehouse Bay, run by a friend of mine's brother. You'll sleep in a treehouse, eat amazingly fresh food caught and picked that day, basically have your own private island and beach. Makes you feel like a billionaire.

Totally agree with this. Some of the outlying islands off Sihanoukville are amazing.

Is Ten 101 the place run by a cool Texan called Joel who wears a sarong and bakes delicious bread in a brick oven in the jungle??

Sihanoukville itself is changing fast with lots of Russian and Korean money and a very non-glamorous and seedy underbelly. Very dodgy looking British OAP's spending their winter fuel allowance on tired out whores from Bangkok is not a great spectator sport to be honest but this is not typical of the country at all.

I would also strongly recommend doing a home-stay visit with a Cambodian family organised by the Cambodian Rural Development Team (CRDT) who are based in Phnom Penh but run the trips on Sabo island (I think!) in the middle of the Mekong river near Kratie (also well worth a trip). This is a unique experience and no real hardship.

Cambodia for me is all about the Mekong River and anything close to that is always fascinating..

Hope that helps a bit..
  • edited June 2012
    One tip that made all the difference at Ankor Wat is to ask the tuk-tuk driver to do the reverse tour, taking you to the last temple first and the first temple last. We were all alone amongst the ruins in the jungle and it was magical! They'll try to dissuade you but do insist on it, you'll not regret it!
  • 2nd that silentaddick , I did the same and got to see most placed empty
  • I've only been to Phnom Penh but will be returning to Cambodia in July with the family.

Cheap beer is great but go for a slightly more expensive one (a dollar in happy hour) and have a sundowner in the FCC overlooking the river in Phnom Penh. It's where the journos used to hang out during the war.

And don't believe what blackheathaddick said about durian. Give it a try. Yes, it smells a bit but it has a unique taste which I really like. Other fruits in season should include longan, mangosteen, rambutan, longkong. Give them a try as well.

Can't disagree with any other advice given above. A lot of my guests are either on their way to or have been to Cambodia so I pick up lots of snippets of information.

• Sponsored links:

• I've only been to Phnom Penh but will be returning to Cambodia in July with the family.

Cheap beer is great but go for a slightly more expensive one (a dollar in happy hour) and have a sundowner in the FCC overlooking the river in Phnom Penh. It's where the journos used to hang out during the war.

And don't believe what blackheathaddick said about durian. Give it a try. Yes, it smells a bit but it has a unique taste which I really like. Other fruits in season should include longan, mangosteen, rambutan, longkong. Give them a try as well.

Can't disagree with any other advice given above. A lot of my guests are either on their way to or have been to Cambodia so I pick up lots of snippets of information.

The smell of Durians is pretty awful, never tasted one so won't pass judgment on the taste, but that smell put me off ever trying one, incidently they are banned on the Singapore MRT (underground)...$500 fine for taking them on a train.

Is Ten 101 the place run by a cool Texan called Joel who wears a sarong and bakes delicious bread in a brick oven in the jungle??

Haha, yes that's the one. Joel's brother and business partner at Ten 103 just opened a restaurant here in Hong Kong called Brickhouse. Amazing place if you're ever in town.
  • One tip that made all the difference at Ankor Wat is to ask the tuk-tuk driver to do the reverse tour, taking you to the last temple first and the first temple last. We were all alone amongst the ruins in the jungle and it was magical! They'll try to dissuade you but do insist on it, you'll not regret it!
    A good tip for many tourist trips - different country/continent etc but I did the trip of Ephesus in reverse and missed all the crowds at the first few sights.

• Regarding durian fruit, they taste as bad as they smell. Worth a try if you are into pushing the boundaries of human endurance, but it made me gag big time.
  • Thanks for all the info, We head to Phnom Phhen first for 3 days and will be taking in the Killing Fields, got a feeling that is going to be an emotional trip. and then we head to Siem Reap for 3 more, the reverse tour of the temples sounds a great call, will give that a go, hotels are already booked, staying in Raffles Hotel Le Royal in Phnom Pehn, La Residence D Angkor in Siem Reap and then heading to the Hotel Indonesia Kempinski in Jakarta on the way home, My cousin told me about the FCC club, will have a nose at that, maybe even find some football, my son wants a footie shirt brought back.
    Really looking forward to it, never really though of it as a destination until last week!
  • I found Phnom Penh a bit challenging, but the Killing Fields and S-21 are harrowing sites.

The temples around Siem Riep are great, and surprisingly variable. Cambodian tuk tuks are great, being motorbike based, hiring one for a couple of days is an enjoyable way of seeing the temples. A guide is useful, but it's also good to go around them by yourself, as you can get over bombarded by facts - I did 1 day with and 1 day without

Haha, yes that's the one. Joel's brother and business partner at Ten 103 just opened a restaurant here in Hong Kong called Brickhouse. Amazing place if you're ever in town.
    Haha indeed. Fabulous place. Its a small world. I am based in HK for at least half the year at the moment. Would love to try Brickhouse.

Do you know where it is?
  • Cheers all, looking forward to the escape now.

Haha indeed. Fabulous place. Its a small world. I am based in HK for at least half the year at the moment. Would love to try Brickhouse.

Do you know where it is?
    In Central, heading up D'Aguilar Street towards Lan Kwai Fong, it's down a small alley on the left just before Haagen Daz. Joel's brother is called Austin, I'm sure he'd be amazed that you'd stayed at Ten103. He's doing South American/Mexican food. Took the missus there last night. It was freakin' amazing. Lively setting, great decor, great food. Recommend.
  • Thanks Chunes and apologies to others for going off thread. Really sounds great. Often pop in that Mexican just off the escalator. I am in UK until mid July but perhaps we should plan (found) a Charlton Lifer HK branch at Brickhouse in the near future.