Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton

Comments

• I heard from a Brighton fan that they do a guest ale each home game based on the location of the team that's playing them. Nice touch.
    London Pride for our visit?
  • I heard from a Brighton fan that they do a guest ale each home game based on the location of the team that's playing them. Nice touch.
    London Pride for our visit?
    Spitfire?
  • Local ale for CAFC would have to come from the Meantime Brewery, Greenwich.
    Could have Dartford Warbler
  • Try Harveys ale if you go Brighton away, its brewed in Lewes which is 5 mins from there on the train
  • Try Harveys ale if you go Brighton away, its brewed in Lewes which is 5 mins from there on the train
    Will do that!
    Will do that!
    Harvey's best is my favourite ale...

• Who are the 9 clubs with more season ticket holders than them? My guess would be: Man Utd, Man City, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Norwich and then I'm struggling with the last one. Maybe Derby? I don't think Everton, Sunderland or Aston Villa sell quite as many season tickets as you might think. Perhaps West Ham?
    Prob the massive.
  • Harveys is delicious! my favourite ale!
  • 8,000 - hahaha! 2,500 - 3,000, maybe more on a verrrrry good day

And Im sure the withdean holds 9,000, hence our ten per cent allocation of 900. yet they couldnt sell it out often getting 6,000. and unlike our exile spell 10 odd miles away at our rivals' stadium, Brighton were still at least playing in Brighton, nearer indeed then than they are now at the new ground. Crazy. Withdean was a terrible stadium but I would be surprised if Brighton can sustain that support if they have a couple of seasons of midtable mediocrity in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

And Im sure the withdean holds 9,000, hence our ten per cent allocation of 900. yet they couldnt sell it out often getting 6,000. and unlike our exile spell 10 odd miles away at our rivals' stadium, Brighton were still at least playing in Brighton, nearer indeed then than they are now at the new ground. Crazy. Withdean was a terrible stadium but I would be surprised if Brighton can sustain that support if they have a couple of seasons of midtable mediocrity in the Championship.
    Capacity was less than 7000

They played at Gillingham for a while.
  • I live in Shoreham and have seen Brighton on a regular basis over the years. They are definitely on the up and this is for a number of reasons. Whilst it is true that they have a very large catchment area and this is definitely a factor they are playing Championship football in a magnificent stadium.
    The Amex, despite the shocking name is great and a real boon after the dreadful Withdean, it could not be more different.
    The support though has a fair section of plastics though and I concur with the views above about a section of the Amex faithful as being football fans and not primarily BHAFC fans, I know a number of people who fall into this category who are ST holders.
    After the humiliation of that 0-4 drubbing at The Valley I cant wait for our visit to the Amex

Capacity was 8850 - so no excuses, their support was very low numbers and well below capacity. They had an average of only 7,351 even in the season they stormed the title!

I know they played at Gillingham, but I wasn't criticising their support when they were playing there, I was criticising it for the 12 years when they were playing in Brighton and only about a mile from their old ground!
    Could have Dartford Warbler
    Yes that would be good + Gravesend Guzzler....funny always thought it was called Dartford Wobbler.

Capacity was 8850 - so no excuses, their support was very low numbers and well below capacity. They had an average of only 7,351 even in the season they stormed the title!

I know they played at Gillingham, but I wasn't criticising their support when they were playing there, I was criticising it for the 12 years when they were playing in Brighton and only about a mile from their old ground!
    These extra seats were not added until 2005. BHA started playing there 6 seasons before that.

I was there for our match in December 2010 - attendance 8374, and there was not a spare seat to be had in any section.

As for playing at Gillingham, you don't make that clear at all in your original post.

These extra seats were not added until 2005. BHA started playing there 6 seasons before that.

I was there for our match in December 2010 - attendance 8374, and there was not a spare seat to be had in any section.

As for playing at Gillingham, you don't make that clear at all in your original post.
    I didn't mention Gillingham because I wasn't referring to their support during the time at Gillingham! Off the top of my head I can't even remember what crowds they got up there. To quote my previous post, "I was criticising it for the 12 years when they were playing in Brighton and only about a mile from their old ground!"

I was there for that match in December 2010. Spare seats or not, their average attendance that title-winning season was 7,351 (well below capacity). I was also there in December 2009, when the attendance was 6,769, so well under capacity despite our end selling out.

The only point I'm making is that their clearly wasn't a huge waiting list for tickets when they were playing at the Withdean (unlike Saints at the Dell, Arsenal at Highbury, Spurs at WHL, for example), so its amazing that an extra 15,000 plus STHs have emerged within literally months of moving out.

• OK, fair point.

We have a core of about 12000, but can always find another 10,000 on occasion !
  • Looking at their attendances pre-Poyet in seasons like 07-08 and 08-09, when they were mid table or struggling in League One, gates hovered around 6,000. So empty seats would certainly have been noticeable.
  • Must be awkward for the diehard Brighton fans - on the one hand they've got a new stadium at long last, a club going in the right direction, a good manager etc. On the other hand it's out in the sticks & they are surrounded by fans who know nothing of their history or what they've been through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Must be awkward for the diehard Brighton fans - on the one hand they've got a new stadium at long last, a club going in the right direction, a good manager etc. On the other hand it's out in the sticks & they are surrounded by fans who know nothing of their history or what they've been through.
    True. There must be a lot of Brighton fans pleased that they are in a nice stadium and getting good crowds, but wondering where these people were for the last few years. To those new supporters it might be like supporting a newly created club. It'd be interesting to know how many of the 20,000 or so season ticket holders had no purchase history prior to the move to the AMEX

• Bank Holiday Monday, Apr 1st! Definitely could sell at least 5,000 tickets then!
  • It will be the away game of the season drinks wise!

The comments criticising Brighton's support are ridiculous, they're ground was a joke. Look at their away followings, that should end that debate.

Their hardcore fans will be loving the current success...
  • Agreed.

They brought 3000 to the Valley on a Tuesday night, totally out-sung us and totally out-played us.

Our best move in that game, was when the OAP came out of the West Stand and told Parky his future.

:)
  • Dickie Knight is a mate and a legend at Brighton. I will be with him for the away game and enjoying a beer with Des Lynam and Fatboy !
  • Bank Holiday Monday, Apr 1st! Definitely could sell at least 5,000 tickets then!
    I fully expect that to be moved to the day after (Tuesday evening)

True. There must be a lot of Brighton fans pleased that they are in a nice stadium and getting good crowds, but wondering where these people were for the last few years. To those new supporters it might be like supporting a newly created club. It'd be interesting to know how many of the 20,000 or so season ticket holders had no purchase history prior to the move to the AMEX

I know a fair few Brighton STH and not one is negative about it. They know where the fans were - on the waiting list. They know that the last few years (and some) have been bad and that may have been put off but they also know that Brighton has a lot of new people moving there and they are very welcoming.

We could take a few examples from them about what make a 'proper' fans and to welcome in every single person - home and away fans - and bring some of the magic back to football.
  • Lovely hotel booked for Sunday and Monday nice little Easter break.
    I fully expect that to be moved to the day after (Tuesday evening)

High risk of that, I would think. Will be a "football decision" to get extra recovery time between matches.
  • my old mans brighton mate at work says they never play on a bank holiday monday always gets moved to the tuesday, like reading at home last year.