Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Euro 2012 thread.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2012
    think RH should play the same team he played for Norway. TBH I don't think the little princes that have been playing for the last few years would have got a better result.
    A few players that are just glad to play and as a result concentrate on the team and getting a result rather than a bit more international TV exposure would be a nice change.
  • Options
    I always have a flutter on Italy in big tournaments and have a tenner e/w @ 14/1
  • Options
    You can never tell with italy - they usually try to do just enough in the Group stage and sometimes just enough isn't enough!!

We are a bit unfortunate having France first game- I see that as a defeat, which will put the pressure on but If it was the last game, I'd fancy us more to beat Sweden and Ukraine! It is a Group we need to win though, to avoid playing the winners of Spain's Group!
  • Options
    just thinking after watching that report on joe cole....could we of taken him. 31 games for lille with four goals. not to bad. better than milner and downing.
  • Options
    Liverpool could have 4 players in the opening game in the euros - Gerrard is ok but how fit is he ?

The others well we have seen them perform this season not exactly riveting And England 8/1 to win it -

Wish Roy well ..but we will struggle with That squad .
  • Options
    Just seen Gary Nevilles interview on SSN.

Have to say he talks a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Lampards out now as well, Jordan Henderson possibly being called up on SSN
  • Options
    Henderson to replace Lampard. Oh dear god. We are in serious trouble.
  • Options
    Remember someone saying in the review of the season about players fighting through injury to stay part of the first team when winning but when things go badly then players tend to disappear to the treatment table. Is the same happening in the england set up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Our team is now officially a joke with Henderson in it.
  • Options
    Was beginning to believe we might do alright until lampard limped out to be replaced be Henderson. Maybe Roy will show him the headbutting the wall technique that he has employed so well and he will suddenly become a good player...
  • Options
    Remember someone saying in the review of the season about players fighting through injury to stay part of the first team when winning but when things go badly then players tend to disappear to the treatment table. Is the same happening in the england set up?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Yes.
    I don't believe for a second Lampard is hiding. Barry maybe, but I'd give him a camouflage blanket and wish him all the best anyway.

The only way England will succeed to any degree is if they realise their limitations and play in a style that makes them more than the sum of their parts. Hodgson's proved to be good at that. I give that squad a half chance of slipping through to the knock-outs with draws and odd-goal wins, or more likely going out meekly in the group stage.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Feck me almost half of the team are going to be from Liverpool. Johnson , Gerrard, Downing, Carrol and Henderson, that is depressing.
  • Options
    I don't understand why Henderson is immediately coming in ahead of Adam Johnson. It makes more logical sense, but who would you rather you had in your squad?

I understand Lampard and Barry are central players who need replacing, Parker, Gerrard, Jones and Milner (heck even jagielka and downing have been known to play there) can play in the traditional no.10 role, while Gerrard, Ashley Young and Oxlade-Chamberlain all provide options for the attacking midfielder/no.10.

Just say Parker was to get injured. You could throw Henderson in as a straight swap, or you could play Adam Johnson out wide and put Milner in the middle. I know what I'd prefer....
  • Options
    I fancy the winners to be either Germany or France and Russia to win Group A.
  • Options
    Holland Vs Czech Republic/Croatia final... You heard it here first!
  • Options
    Reassembly interesting to hear from what the other countries think of our chances. most see us as a bit of a mystery. not expecting much with injuries, no star players, ones that our are ageing, Rooney being out for the first two and a new not so known manager, but just like Chelsea they could pull it off.
    we have become probably for the first time in a long time a under-dog.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9299551/Euro-2012-views-from-abroad-on-England-at-the-finals.html
    It's interesting to see how many consider that having Hodgson instead of Capello weakens our chances.

I don't think we'll do very well but we'll do better that we would having a manager who can't even communicate effectively with his players. In other words we'll do better than in South Africa.

In the long term I believe that Roy Hodgson will be the best England manager since at least Bobby Robson (if not Alf Ramsay).
  • Options
    I do think at last we have a good manager just need to get rid of Terry,Lampard,A.Cole,Gerrard,Johnson as they have had there time and done nothing for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Refunds up to 50 on Euro outright winner if Spain win it
    pretty good by ladb

Think we will do okay. Cant see how it can get much worse anyway
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    what i do like about us is that 3 of our back 4 play for the same club side.

Henderson is in the squad but wont play, so just think of him has having a free holiday. Parker to play alongside Gerrard and if Parker cant hack the 90 mins then put Phil Jones is the middle. Saw him play there for Blackburn and Man Utd and he looked decent.

the squad is weak but the starting 11 isnt as bad as people think
  • Options
    Is it me or has Roy Hodgson tried to jam in as many Liverpool players as possible? Surprised he hasn't picked any Baggies players!
  • Options
    Is it me or has Roy Hodgson tried to jam in as many Liverpool players as possible? Surprised he hasn't picked any Baggies players!
    No it's just you
  • Options
    People have excitement over being the under-dog with lower expectations. They think it's a re-freshing attitude compared to previous years where we have failed with higher expectations.

We are a mystery in a way with new manager etc yes, but I have no confidence in this team and still think that regardless of the attitude of expectation going into the tournament, we will fail like we always do.

I hate the inclusion of Andy Carroll.

It was on a slight form basis and you could ague that there was not much better to choose from, but 4 PL goals?! It's a little disgusting he is in the squad IMO.

Stuart Downing also.
  • Options
    Right everyone moaning about the squad has finally got to me. If someone can tell me who else there is to pick from(that is available) please do. I was sad enough to look through the list of English players from the premiership and the sad fact of it is that there is a worrying lack of talent there, with the exception of a couple of players at most the best squad available has been picked. So stop moaning, get over it and enjoy a festival of football.
  • Options
    Holt for a start
  • Options
    Holt?! A player with ONE good premiership season at 31 years old?? don't be silly. let's go through a list of other english players who have hauled decent tallys in their debut prem season: marcus stewart, jon stead, matt jansen, michael bridges, michael ricketts.

i think i'll reserve judgement for a while....
  • Options
    Let's continue that list; Andy Caroll...oh no, that was just half a good season, 18 months ago. If Holt played for United/City etc he'd bd shoe in, the fact that he doesn't makes his form all the more impressive. I think I'd probably take Sturridge over Wellbeck as well