Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Talal El Karkouri

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
Although I thought he already had, he has now retired. I rated him especially his free kicks.

http://www.starafrica.com/en/football/news/article/view/morocco-talal-el-karkouri-to-quit-footb-234986.html

Top man all the best for the future.

Comments

• du du du du... EL KARKOURIIII da da da da ... EL KARKOURIII!!!!
  • du du du du... EL KARKOURIIII da da da da ... EL KARKOURIII!!!!
    Got a few airing's last season as well !
  • Always felt he would have been a decent bet in midfield, he could pick a pass very nicely, was good in possession and had a cracking shot.
  • My personal favourite song of recent times

You put your left leg in
    Your left leg out
    In out in out
    You shake it all about
    You do the El Kakouri and you turnabout
    That's what it's all about

OoooooH, the El Kakouri....etc
  • Ah, the Camel. Great defender for us although he loved to roll around a bit after a foul.
  • Loved him, even had his name on my shirt one season!
  • Good player - thought he was with us for longer to be honest.
  • Loved a two footed challenge
  • great memories of when he absolutely pummelled it into the away fans with the raving ump.... i think it was norwich but i might be wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• great memories of when he absolutely pummelled it into the away fans with the raving ump.... i think it was norwich but i might be wrong.
    You're right, it was Norwich. I remember it seemed easier to clear it up field knock it out for a throw when he swivelled and vollied it full pelt at them.

"Not quite sure what El Karkouri was doing there" said the commentary, not for the first or last time in his spell with us, I'm sure.

• edited May 2012
    El Kak used to do my nogging in and this thread demonstrates why. Yes he scored a few crackers but more often than not they were Row Z efforts....okay, okay, Row J ones then. People always remember the few that go in.

Defensively he gave me kittens sometimes, positionally he could be a nightmare and seem to remember him making some really stupid and unneccessary challenges leading to sendings off.

Note - I am not saying he was a poor player just that he wasn't a great one who could have been much better, hence he frustrated me more than anything.
  • Scored the winner against Blackburn on my fortieth birthday, live on Sky, to complete my weekend. Liked him ever since...
  • The one against Arsenal I remember so well. We were 1-0 down and I said we were going in 1-0 down at half time but my Grandad said just you wait we'll score. So ELK stepped up for the free kick and he said this it, and guess what it flew in. One of my favorite Charlton memories even though we lost 3-1.
  • Scored the winner against Blackburn on my fortieth birthday, live on Sky, to complete my weekend. Liked him ever since...
    Ah! That was the great "False Dawn" of the Les Reed era if I am not mistaken.....we lost 5-1 at Spurs the next game!
    Ah! That was the great "False Dawn" of the Les Reed era if I am not mistaken.....we lost 5-1 at Spurs the next game!
    No, Curbs was still in charge then - 2004.

• I suppose we have had plenty of dross in the last 7 years but I thought he was absolute pony and one of the worst defenders we had in the prem

No coincidence that when he had a regular start we went down

Nice Blackburn goal though

Sorry, I thought you meant his famous injury time free-kick against Blackburn at The Valley which gave Uncle Les his only win whilst at the helm.
  • I visited Morocco when he played for us and everybody there totally loved him and had begun supporting Charlton as a result. I wonder if there is still a contingent of Charlton supporters in the mountains over there?
  • I wonder if there is still a contingent of Charlton supporters in the mountains over there?
    Probably the best place to have hidden until recently...
  • Sponsored links:

• I visited Morocco when he played for us and everybody there totally loved him and had begun supporting Charlton as a result. I wonder if there is still a contingent of Charlton supporters in the mountains over there?
    Hmmm, how many other Moroccans have played in the PL? I could not think of any others but according to Wikipedia there have been ten others apart from TEK.
  • Safri for Coventry, Hadji Cov and Villa is all I can think of.
  • Tahar El Khalej - the guy we had on loan from Saints for a couple of games was one of them... I remember when we first signed El Karkouri a lot of fans were worried it was the same bloke.
  • Chamakh for Arsenal is the most recent I think.
  • I thought he was an ok defender in the Premier league, which is no mean feat in my view.

He was with us for a while before we were relegated so I don't think he was responsible for that. He may well have been weaker than some of the other players we had during our time in the Premier League, but I thought he was ok.

Sorry, I thought you meant his famous injury time free-kick against Blackburn at The Valley which gave Uncle Les his only win whilst at the helm.
    I thought that was Jay Bothroyd?
  • Was definitely El K.

Was Talal, I remember being there for that after doing a sickie to get out of work. Shame we got stuffed the next game
  • Was definitely El K.
    Scored the winner against Blackburn on my fortieth birthday, live on Sky, to complete my weekend. Liked him ever since...

Was Talal, I remember being there for that after doing a sickie to get out of work. Shame we got stuffed the next game
    Fair enough - I wonder what game I'm thinking of then?
  • he was a pretty pony defender though