Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can we build a winning team on a budget of £6M?

Comments

• For me, I would let Sullivan, Hughes, Hayes and Clarke leave. Then sign:
    GK - challenge Hamer
    rb - back up solly
    cb - agree we need a quick one, Osborne fits the bill IMO
    cm - I think Hollands and Pritchard fit the engine room midfielder, but I would like to see us sign someone who can pass a ball. I think Stephens could step up but we need someone else in case he cannot
    lm - competition for Jackson. Pace for me - Ephraim would probably fit the bill
    str - x2 - I agree we need a finisher for comeptition. I would then sign a back up 5th choice, ideally someone who can hold a ball up. I think N'Guessan would do as he can play down either wing also.
    Thats 7 signings, gives us a good 23 man squad. Agree with Killer and Flash, if we have a disastrious situation of 6/7 injured/suspended taking our squad down to like 16 players, I would rather use a youngster. We also have the benefit of being able to make short term loans pretty much throughout the season.
  • I don't think our defence was done for pace at all last season. The full backs are quick which helps a lot.

Sullivan is not as good as Hamer, but probably as good as we can get as a reserve keeper- and a bit unfair to judge him when he hasn't had a run of games.

We may need RB cover if Jordan Cousins is not ready for that role but might be demotivating for him if we consdier him not to be.

CM is difficult. This is an area I could see us bringing somebody in but it is quite possible Stephens, Hollands and Pritchard can cut it in the Championship - wouldn't be such a bad thing to have a good player in there to challenge them.

Striker - We realistically now have Haynes, BWP and Kermogant - assuming it is too early for any of our promising youngsters, we might benefit from another. Difficult to find a striker who is proven for the right price. Maybe a Premiership loan would be th ebest option if we can't. But if the three we have hit the ground running we may only need to fall on that as an emergency option.

RM, think we are ok here - there may be a temptation to use Solly for width and boister the middle, but Green could step up to the mark next season. He does have quality and his throws a weapon.

LM - Again, Wiggins provides width so JJ sjould be fine but he is a bit injury prone so an option may be needed, although Evina may be an option playing in front of Wiggins. Propably an argument to get that quality CM in though.
  • We shouldn't forget we have Harriot who I think is a terrific prospect too. And Smith as a 4th Striker.

If I was Powell, I'd go for that Centre midfielder and then have some money put aside for quality loans if and when required.
  • We shouldn't forget we have Harriot who I think is a terrific prospect too. And Smith as a 4th Striker.

If I was Powell, I'd go for that Centre midfielder and then have some money put aside for quality loans if and when required.
    no way is Smith ready to be 4th striker, he wasn't even considered for 5th choice last years. We have promising youngsters but we can't rely on them to provide back up yet
  • A 4th Striker is a fair way from the team, especially if you are prepared to bring somebody in on loan if needed. I am reminded of our first year in the Championship after relegation, when we bought Gray. Beacuse he cost a fair bit, he had to be played even though Iwelumo (free transfer) was the better bet. Maybe it didn't ultimately cost us but it didn't help. Would make a lot of sense to see how the three main strikers we have got go first IMO. Maybe keep on of Hayes or Clarke as additional back up.
  • I think we must not overlook the fact that we were lucky with injuries and suspensions last season. Although a few players came in and did a reasonable job, we may be a bit stretched if we had 3 or 4 players out at the same time. I expect us to have a little more depth next season.
    So if the squad stayed the same ( which it won't ) 101 points in League 1 = how many points in the Championship roughly?

Unfortunately, it's not a simple formula. Yes, it's a bit of a cop out to say that, but we don't know how this team will perform if they have a bad run and how much injuries/suspensions may affect plans. From the 10/11 games I managed to see last season, they certainly seemed to make the most of the talent they have and they will probably carrying on nicking points when there is not much in it.
  • And it is a risk not to find out - the same way as people see it as a risk not to change things. The difference being , you can safely assume we are not going to get relegated with this lot and you can respond to areas that can be improved - but I think some of the players that are being written off as not being up to it, could be stars next season for us.
  • Reckon we will chase 8 as said above by Henry & CEJ, whether we get all positions remains to be seen but my gut would be that Keeper, RB, LW & 1 striker will only be as cover anyway so potential first teamers at CB, CM (x2) and Sx1.

So I can see 4 new first teamers joining...who knows what budget....it's all irrelevant anyway as whoever comes and goes we will be winning the Championship next year anyway!
  • also if we can get players like yann on a free you never know who we could get and how cheap they could possibly be
    There are some great players on this list that I reckon we could get for free: http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist
    Drogba and Rodallega upfront next year then!

Actually, Yann and Rodallega, Drogba as back up for Yann....

There are some good players on that list to be fair, but who knows who might go for them/what wages they'd be after? Plus half the guys we signed last year I knew very little about - leave it to SCP!

• I agree, the squad will be bostered and leavers will be replaced, but in terms of straight out of the box first teamers - one or two at most. And these Championship strikers we need to fear - these are exactly? One of the best strikers next season will be Jordan Rhodes and in previous seasons we have had Ricky Lambert and Grant Holt standing out - all League One strikers. Then you have Kevin Phillips who is 38 and managed only one goal against Gordon Ramsey and Will Ferrell on Sunday.

BWP had a very poor patch in the last half of the season, even when he started scoring again he was missing too many. I love it how this means certain fans have written him off when he was electric at the beginning of the season and would have been electric at Championship level. If it came to him, it went in the net. So why should we assume he will resume his poor form when the season starts.

But, for me, the biggest reason for optimism is the quality of our defence. They are players that clearly will be strong in the Championship. Solly and wiggins are quality full backs and Morrison has been a real find. I think they will be up to anything the Championship has to throw at them and Cort and Taylor - whilst below them ability wise- can slot in and add something to the qulaity that is already there. Hamer is much undertated too. I would steer well clear of making changes there. And if you are tight at the back you are certainly going to be alright and with one or two additions of the right quality elsewhere - and that is all that is needed - we are going to be a handful. The other additions need to ensure we cover the squad.
    Straight out of the box first teamers maybe one or two. Sorry but I disagree. No point in bringing in players that are not capable of being straight out of the box first teamers. Curbs always signed players that were better than those we had. We don't want to be bringing in any more "squad" players like Hughes for example, what we need is to bring in players that will improve the first team and there by definition improve the squad. Those that drop too far down the pecking order should be moved on. Our defence won't look so rock solid next season by fact that we will be playing much better sides than we did last season. Our midfield is currently weak and will be found out in The Championship and we need at the very least one striker with some pedigree to give us an option of the required four. I will be disappointed if we do not bring in five straight out of the box first teamers plus perhaps a couple of development squad players.

• Sponsored links:

• edited May 2012
    I was never convinced by a midfield of Green Stephens Hollands Jackson in League 1, and swapping Pritchard for any of those 4 doesn't really change it a great deal.

We definitely need an alternative to Jackson. We looked better with Waggy towards the end of the season but I think we can improve on him and Green. Three CMs isn't enough, and as SHG said no point bringing in a Hughes type player as cover for what we have.

There are without a doubt players we can afford out there that will both fit in and improve the squad. Powell has to say he wants to give this squad a chance - what good would it do if he said "we have a good squad but need 4/5 signings"?

I suppose it depends what we are aiming for. This squad with a few signings will compete, but don't we want more than that? A solid top half finish for me at least and that will more than a couple of signings.

Also looks like 7 subs is back next season, so that gives the option of something like 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers on the bench.
  • Agree completely SHG that we need 4 or 5 first teamers - centre back, centre mid, right wing for definite.

In some areas I do think we need 'back-up', but I'd rather see it as competition - for JJ, Solly, Yann, Hamer.
  • So much is about confidence. No idea how player for player your team matches up against the top half of the championship, but I doubt there's a huge gulf.

You'll need to add some better quality, but the main thing will be a solid start to the season. Get off to a decent start & the momentum & confidence carries you through for a while.

Get a hammering in your first away game and struggle for the next few games confidence can just drain away, despite the quality not being that different - I think that's why promoted teams have done so well over the past few years, they've taken a positive attitude, got off to a decent start and not looked back.

If it's true that the London clubs are all playing their first 2/3 games away, it could be a tough start for us all.
  • Agree completely SHG that we need 4 or 5 first teamers - centre back, centre mid, right wing for definite.

In some areas I do think we need 'back-up', but I'd rather see it as competition - for JJ, Solly, Yann, Hamer.
    Right wing? We have two decent RW. I thought we were unbalanced on the left when JJ played and certainly had no real back up 'till loan players arrived.

Don't get me wrong, I liked JJ, but do not think he will play many games next season as an out and out left winger.

• The lack of quality wide players was highlighted several times last season and will definately crop up again this season. Wagstaff and Green have the talent but aren't consistant enough. And as for JJ, not enough pace for a wide man but all the attributes of a central midfielder. Along with Hollands, Stephens and Pritchard that's 4 decent CM's. Somebody mentioned Evina in a more forward role and that could be worth trying in pre season as we all know he has the pace. Still needs improvement though.
  • Two decent right wingers, yes, I want a very good one!
  • So much is about confidence.
    You are so right, Sparrers.

Most players at this level have sufficient ability, one way or another.

But confidence is the difference between success and failure.
    It is the difference.

• So much is about confidence. No idea how player for player your team matches up against the top half of the championship, but I doubt there's a huge gulf.

You'll need to add some better quality, but the main thing will be a solid start to the season. Get off to a decent start & the momentum & confidence carries you through for a while.

Get a hammering in your first away game and struggle for the next few games confidence can just drain away, despite the quality not being that different - I think that's why promoted teams have done so well over the past few years, they've taken a positive attitude, got off to a decent start and not looked back.

If it's true that the London clubs are all playing their first 2/3 games away, it could be a tough start for us all.
    I think that a lot of your post is wishful thinking - we are on the way up and Millwall are going the other way. They had their chance- muffed it - from challengers, to mediocrity to relegation again for your lot I'm afraid.

• All the FL clubs top officials are at a conference up the road in Vilamoura until later today, so transfer activity might resume when they return?

I think that a lot of your post is wishful thinking - we are on the way up and Millwall are going the other way. They had their chance- muffed it - from challengers, to mediocrity to relegation again for your lot I'm afraid.

Wishful thinking in what way?

• Sponsored links:

• Despite this being a purely rhetorical question posed by Weggie, I see that it is already starting to firm up in peoples minds as fact. Or should that be FACT, sorry.

This is probably how the massives £20m January war chest started.
  • The bit about us finding it hard - It is Palace and Millwall on th eway down - we are on the way up. No hard feelings.
  • I wouldn't say that Palace or Millwall are on the way down. It looked like Millwall were going to be sucked into a relegation battle back in January/February and got themselves out of it with a bit of end of season momentum.

Similarly, Palace stayed up quite comfortably when everyone expected them to struggle under Freedman.

I don't think they're necessarily on the way down, it's just that we have far more upward momentum off the back of our title win right now.
  • I think pretty much the squad we had last season will be good enough for The Championship but one addition I would like to see is a quality holding midfielder which will allow Hollands and Stephens a bit more space to get forward. Young Pritchard may be just that player but he has some developing to do although I do love his enthusiasm and attitude. Defence is solid , maybe another CB for cover and of course another quality striker would be good although I have a feeling Yann and BWP will be good enough to cause any team a problem.

Looking forward to next season already it's been a while since we've been on the up!
  • The bit about us finding it hard - It is Palace and Millwall on th eway down - we are on the way up. No hard feelings.
    Can't see where I said you'll find it hard. I thought the post was fairly positive on your chances, that the gulf between players isn't huge and a lot rides on momentum & confidence, which if you read my post, I said promoted teams seem to carry that forward, hence why so many end up being promoted/play-offs or challenge - which surely applies to you does it not?

I did say that if you get off to a rough start then that could have an affect.

• edited June 2012
    I thought your post was well reasoned, Sparrows.

Agree, it is all about getting off to a good start to continue our promotion momentum and confidence.

But that applies equally to Palace, Millwall or any other team.

Millwall struggled badly mid-season [losing 6-0 at home, anyone? :o)] - but end of season, they went on a tidy run and finished on a high.

• I would expect some new signings but not as many as people think. CP said he wants to give League 1 winners a crack in The Championship and I think the majority of them will be given that chance. For me we need:
    Cover at RB
    New RM (I've heard Jason Punchean? Is a tidy winger)
    CM (Feel we lack higher league experience. We need some strength in there)
    LM (N'Guessen? Impressed me with his strength and pace but will Wall let him go?)
    ST (Our 20 goal a season man)
  • Think all 3 South London clubs will come top half next season. If I had to choose I'd probably say Millwall will finish top of the 3
  • Think all 3 South London clubs will come top half next season. If I had to choose I'd probably say Millwall will finish top of the 3
    no way will all 3 of us finish top half, I think Palace might even go down

• we'll see