Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

iPhone advice needed

I'm thinking of upgrading my iPhone but, as a complete techno-ignoramus, I'm afraid all my apps and content won't transfer to the new one. When I first attach the new one to my laptop, will the phone sync to my existing iTunes stuff? Or do I have to do something complicated about it?

Do these questions even make sense? :~/

Comments

• Options
    Sync/back up your existing phone.

When you connect the new handset to iTunes, you'll be asked if you want to set up the phone as 'new' or 'from existing'. Choose 'from existing' & everything (apps/contacts/pictures/settings/wallpaper/messages etc) will be transferred to your new phone. I did it a couple of months ago & the only thing it didn't copy across was my music
  • Options
    You have nothing to worry about. Your phone runs off of iTunes, and that's the 'home' as it were, for your content.

Look at the iPhone as a gadget that your stuff updates on to. When you plug the new one in, you'll have the option of synching it with the iTunes you have always used.

There's more to it when you start looking at how 'the cloud' works - but that's probably complicating matters. Just plug it in and play...
  • Options
    Great! Thanks Rufus.

I wonder why it doesn't copy the music?
  • Options
    I think it will if you upload your music to iCloud first
  • Options
    Cheers.
  • Options
    You don't need the cloud to sort music - just make sure you have ticked the Synch Music option! Either playlists or the whole lot...
  • Options
    @JiMMy 85

Even better, since I've just (somehow) miserably failed to set up iCloud.
  • Options
    well I haven't got sync music ticked but noticed today after getting a new iphone that it put all the music back on that was on before. First time it's ever done that