Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Status Quo reforming

edited May 2012 in Not Sports Related
....The original line up that is.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/classic-quo-are-back/

Could be playing the O2 maybe. The current line up are great live but I'd like to see Alan Lancaster and John Coughlan back in the band before they retire.

Comments

• Hoping that Alan Lancaster is fit enough then. Would love to see the old Quo again.

• Clearly not content with the Status Quo

I'll get me coat
  • Well, that's interesting. I went to final gig of the original band at Selhurst Park Lord knows how many years ago.

I've never seen the various versions that have toured in the meantime.
  • Bit off topic but I notice that the apartment block that was built on the site of the old pub The Welcome Inn now has a small plaque on it stating that Status Quo had their first gig there in nineteen sixty something.
  • Well, that's interesting. I went to final gig of the original band at Selhurst Park Lord knows how many years ago.

The Selhurst gig didn't include original drummer John Coughlan, I think he left in about 81-82.

There haven't been many changes, mostly the drummers. The bass player who took over from Alan Lancaster is still in the band 26 years on!

• please .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .
  • obviously skint.
  • I still go and see the "current" Quo and every gig is still a great one. They have reformed for a Docu Film and will hopefully take the chance for the original Frantic Four to play a few gigs. I personally can't wait! Quo and Charlton - what I was raised on!
  • and the Welcome Inn was their first gig as Quo (having had previous names).
  • I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it, I li li like it, li li like it :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• New Alan Lancaster when we were kids. He lives in Australia, so I wonder how they will work things out now.

The Selhurst gig didn't include original drummer John Coughlan, I think he left in about 81-82.

There haven't been many changes, mostly the drummers. The bass player who took over from Alan Lancaster is still in the band 26 years on!

You're right. I think what upset me was that they played the final gig and not long after "reformed" only without Alan Lancaster - if my memory serves me right he was not too pleased at the time. Anyway, it does piss me off when I pay out for final gigs only for the feckers to check their pension plans and decide "hang on a minute - we'd better do a few more gigs", only in this case, as you say, it's 26 years and counting!
  • I still go and see the "current" Quo and every gig is still a great one. They have reformed for a Docu Film and will hopefully take the chance for the original Frantic Four to play a few gigs. I personally can't wait! Quo and Charlton - what I was raised on!

Along with the documentary, there is also going to be a movie!

http://www.bulaquo.com/

I don't mind a bit of cheese and that is bound to be a total cheesefest
  • I take it you boys had no problems with the double denim day at Preston!! You can try for a triple c(h)ord day next season now!!! ;-)
  • Bit like Scampi - reformed.!

Pile of dung as far as i'm concerned.They've only got one song, got one song, they;ve only got one song, One song.....sorry.
  • Bit like Scampi - reformed.!

Pile of dung as far as i'm concerned.They've only got one song, got one song, they;ve only got one song, One song.....sorry.
    I take it you play then PA???

Rossi is a superb writer and player, Parfitt the same, people who slaughter The Quo, have never seen them or havnt listen to their albums, listen to Quo live from 77 at the Glasgow Apollo, the original line up and the best live album ever.
  • Spot on Greenie in the early days when they produced Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon and Dog of Two Heads they were a proper rock band and without doubt the aforementioned Rossi and Parfitt are indeed excellent players they just don't showboat like a lot of guitarists. I saw them around 1972 playing at Imperial College London and I can tell you it was one of the most exciting gigs ever. These days they are a bit like their own tribute band but hey so are The Stones who cares.

Quo have always known how to put on a show and under the 3 bar boogie sits a great band
  • my old man used to tell me that rossi's family had an ice cream shop on deptford high street that my dad and his mates used to go to in the late 50's early 60's, is that true?
  • Dunno about Deptford, but yes he is from the Rossi ice cream family!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2012
    There's nowt 'sophisticated' about Quo....they don't take their music that seriously in as much as they clearly don't believe they play and compose 'master pieces' but by golly....they are bloody good at what they do.....as simple as it is.
    Put on a damned good show and 95% of their stuff you can unashamedly sing along with and of course you've heard it before....a great night out.
  • edited May 2012
    There's nowt 'sophisticated' about Quo....they don't take their music that seriously in as much as they clearly don't believe they play and compose 'master pieces' but by golly....they are bloody good at what they do.....as simple as it is.
    Put on a damned good show and 95% of their stuff you can unashamedly sing along with and of course you've heard it before....a great night out.
    Diagree SoundAs - they don't take their persona's seriously, R and P have turned into Morecome and Wise, but they must take the writing seriously, an artist cannot write a song they dont believe in. re sophistication, they use different tunings for a lot of their songs, open G etc. if it was that easy why aren't there more bands who sound like Quo, same goes for the Stones, its easy isn't it? How many times have you heard a pub band do Brown Sugar and its a durge?? I believe I read somewhere that you play so I am quiet surprised by your comments, either that or you have never listened to Quo, just the bread and butter singles. But when all said and done its only Rock n Roll simple as it is.
  • edited May 2012
    my old man used to tell me that rossi's family had an ice cream shop on deptford high street that my dad and his mates used to go to in the late 50's early 60's, is that true?
    Think his branch of the family was Criterion ices in Sydenham. Mate of mine, Eddie Gunning, was asked if he wanted to be their drummer(!) very early doors, but turned them down as the band he was in were already touring Germany etc. Think he may have regretted that decision!
  • One of the most enjoyable guitar solos I ever bothered to learn was from Quo's Fine fine fine, which was a great little tune, with a well worked little country leaning solo.
    They were what they were, but they wrote some good catchy tunes and influenced a lot of young boys in the early 70s who realised they might actually be able to play their songs, if they practised. ;-)

• Oh well, each to their own .
    Must admit, after being on the Pink Floyd thread, to me its a bit like comparing Barcelona with Millwall, however, i will take the advice of some people on here re some of their stuff to listen to.
  • Oh well, each to their own .
    Must admit, after being on the Pink Floyd thread, to me its a bit like comparing Barcelona with Millwall, however, i will take the advice of some people on here re some of their stuff to listen to.

Pink Floyd were great but completely different. If you're in the mood for singing along to some rock it's hard to beat Quo. They're more Charlton than Millwall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTwPVPuS3w
  • Godstone said:

....The original line up that is.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/classic-quo-are-back/

Could be playing the O2 maybe. The current line up are great live but I'd like to see Alan Lancaster and John Coughlan back in the band before they retire.

Got me a couple of tickets for the Friday gig at Hammersmith Apollo on March 15th.
    Hard to find a better reason to come over than Status Quo followed by Charlton-Millwall the
    next day.
  • Everytime I think of Status Quo's Rocking All Over The World it brings back horrible memories of that 4-0 drubbing down The Den...
  • They've just added some news dates.

http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

I'm going to Hammersmith on the saturday.
  • The worst group i have ever seen