Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbishley : Unlucky/poor squad/found out

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
At this stage it lloks to me as a bit of a Les Reid right club wrong time hence mainly unlucky with a smattering of the other two. That said he went there with a 'reputation' as a 'top' manager. On paper WHU are a bigger club than CAFC and perhaps needed a totally fresh unit post Pardew not a class full of Charlton Old Boys. The biscuitman only had to look at how we had performed for the last two years and his handling of big names to perhaps have been a bit more cautious, he should have left us a couple of years back in so much as he should have joined WHU at that time, thank you very much for Alan Pardew

Comments

• Options
    Curbs has walked into a pretty dire situation and done what most managers would do if the the Chairman says he got £20M to spend on players. He's seen the weaknesses in the squad, the injuries, the big time Charlies, and those players out of form or with other problems and gone out to get players in. The January window is notorious for being a difficult time to get the right sort of player.

He has tried his normal method of freezing out players with attitude and playing it tough. He would have expected that his signings would re-invigorate the side but they just haven't had the fitness, thus the put up or shut up motivational method he favours has fallen flat. I think to that extent he has been unlucky but probably he just took the job at the wrong time. I still think he is a capable manager.
  • Options
    The late, great Brian Clough did not cover himself with glory at Brighton or Leeds yet worked wonders at Derby and Forest.

Curbs is still a great manager whatever eventually happens to him at West Ham. His record over15 years demonstrates that.
  • Options
    All very valid points.

His reputation improved in the first few months of the season while we were having our problems with Messrs Dowie and Reid, so expectations were high that he was going to march in there and turn it all round.

He has been unlucky with injuries, but spending £5m on Boa Morte looked bizarre at the time and even more so now.

The whole Mascherano thing is also baffling - he walks straight into the Liverpool team, but both Curbs and Pardew didn't pick him ahead of Quashie, Mullins and co, which suggests there must have been a lot going on behind the scenes.

Curbs could easily be out of there by the end of the week, but he's probably just the man to bring them back up if/when they're relegated.
  • Options
    Its just so hard to say what is going on at that club, I think that they have really, really missed Ashton [look how many games they have failed to score in] because he was their link-up man and really brought the likes of Benayoun and Harewood into the game.
    However, even if he comes back next week [which would be a massive risk] then there's just no way he'll be properly fit before the end of the seaon, it just does not work that way.
    As for Curbs, it would be madness for them to sack him until he has had a proper chance to gut the squad in the summer and re-build them to his specs. I mean, who is out there who could realistically replace him and has any sort of track record? Les Reed?
    His transfer window activity was bizarre but he was damned either way because if he had NOT bought in some new players then their fans would have crucified him for not using the Biscuitman's fortune to buy them out of trouble.
    Moreover, you can only sign players if they want to join you and if you are bottom four then you will only get the cast-offs [Quashie, Blanco] and greed merchants [Neil, Boa Morte, Upson].
  • Options
    108 Million spent buying the club,plus curbs budget and players wages,sign on fees and players who WANT To play for the club,i'd rather play for west ham(Really) than Liverpool,dodgy Jan window, looks like the hammers are stuffed, Oh Well Maybe wrong club at the wrong time(for curbs)with the same management team, Harry redknapp managed it will Curbs?
  • Options
    The thing is something is definitely up at the club, even going back to when Pard's was there.

Pre Curbs

1. They had a lot of defensive injuries - Gabbidon and Ferdinand plus one or two others
    2. Ashton - major injury blow
    3. Harewood turned back into a sulker
    4. Etherington - gambling problem
    5. Carrol - gambling and drink
    6. Reo Coker - arsey cos he didn't get a move out in the summer
    7. Tevez and Mascherano - foisted upon Pard's with, it appears, some strings attached (Mascherano)

Post Curbs

1. Players signed injured/unwell - Upson/Neil/Boa Morte
    2. Neil/Upson wages - jealousy
    3. Continued existing players injuries - Ashton, Gabbidon, plus others
    4. Still question marks over Tevez.
    5. Bust ups with players - Konchesky, Green, Ferdinand, Sheringham
    6. Players still loyal to Pard's

If you add these all up (even if not all of them are true), then he's got a very difficult job to change it round. If you add in the "he's only managed a small club" factor which is playing with the fans and will rub off onto the players, the West Ham board will come under huge pressure to dump him. I think of he gets some luck and time, he will turn things round but I can't see it happening this season.
  • Options
    Going back to what Len said about Brian Clough - wasn't it also he who said you should never have an ex goalkeeper as coach? Our football under Merv's coaching was not good. Can't really get why, when things were getting stale at The Valley, Curbs moved to another club and took the same staff! Loyalty? After all, a lot of the motivational effort should happen on the training ground every day - it's all part of coaching - physical AND mental side. Also the captain should play a big part (I remember seeing Will Carling giving the team talk before an England Rugby match and thinking - that's how to motivate...)

Loyalty to the back room staff could be Curbs downfall...get rid of Merv and get a decent coach (Les Reed??) and Mr. Motivator?? That would be interesting...
  • Options
    I think it's a bit of all three to be honest. He's been unlucky with siginings being injured for example such as Lucas Neil. Although some of the signings he has made leave a lot to be desired etherington/quashie spring to mind. He may have been found out a little to. He is out of the relative comfort zone which he was in when he was with us and perhaps he is struggling to handle himself.
  • Options
    His post match interview sounded like an invitation for egg-head to sack him. He may well have been thinking "I don't know where the next win or point is coming from" but to tell the nation that was pretty dumb IMO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]His post match interview sounded like an invitation for egg-head to sack him. He may well have been thinking "I don't know where the next win or point is coming from" but to tell the nation that was pretty dumb IMO.

I thought that too. His interview was so negative, it was basically "we are sh*t, i've run out of ideas, please sack me"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Alan's are reaping what the other has sown!

Curbishley built up a squad here of generally "honest", hard working pros lacking a bit of quality lacking at the back and in the middle. Pards has been able to come in, beef up those areas and get the players working hard again.

Pardew left a bling squad at West Ham who after last season were probably bigging themselves up and now blame everyone except themselves. They ain't ever going to work hard at West Ham - wholesale change is required and Curbs has probably tried his best to do that in Janaury but then been unlucky with injuries. Hopefully he stays unlucky - sorry Curbs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]The Alan's are reaping what the other has sown!

I think what you say is very perceptive. It is too facile to say that one must be a good manager because he's got Charlton playing and the other is a poor manager because he's failed to sort out West Ham.

What can be said thus far is that Pard's has approached the uplifting of our fortunes in a very professional manner and with the bit of luck you always need and the fans behind him (not difficult really after what went before), he has turned the club from desperate pessimists into cautious focussed optimists.

Curb's has come in, tried to sort out the big time charlie bling merchants, and the sulker egomanics with a fairly down to earth method of shaming, dropping, hairdryering, and introducing new blood. He's shaken it all about but hasn't been able to re-assemble things in a better way. Almost to a man, the new blood has been unfit or injured. Most of the existing injured players haven't come back. Added to that the luck deserted them. They were 2-0 up against Newcastle and then Uriah Rennie allowed a blatantly offside goal to stand. Where would things have gone if they had won that game?

He's a big boy though and if he does get the tin tack, I'm sure he'll pop up and be succesful somewhere else.