Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sepp Blatter wants penalty shoot-out alternative

Comments

• Options
    I quite liked the one-on-one system that they had in the MLS. Requires a bit more skill than a penalty.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The two team invade France.

First one to Paris wins.

Nah - that would favour the Germans again.
  • Options
    Typical Chelsea win the European Cup on pens and less than a week later, Blatter doesn't want anymore pens.

• Options
    Henry is right, replays are great. Thursday night at Maine Road (or Friday night at St Andrew's, of course, our greatest ever game).

But why the downer on penalties? They test power, accuracy and mental strength, three key components of a successful player. If you want one change, you could have a tennis tiebreaker system where one team has to win by two penalies, thereby reducing the Stuart Pearce syndrome.

Golden goals, silver goals, rightly slung out for being terrible. Penalties at the start? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    There must surely be a better solution than a penalty shoot out. Perhaps playing extra time with less players?
    I think it should be extra time as normal, but every 2 minutes, each team loses a player until it's just 1 vs 1. You'd definitely get a winner that way.
  • Options
    Extra time but with a completely new starting XI, so all the squad get a game. Fresh players so they can carry on for a long time. 15 minute periods and if there's a winner at the end of any of these periods then that is it. No subs allowed!
  • Options
    Rush goalie for the period of extra time
  • Options
    There must surely be a better solution than a penalty shoot out. Perhaps playing extra time with less players?
    I think it should be extra time as normal, but every 2 minutes, each team loses a player until it's just 1 vs 1. You'd definitely get a winner that way.
    It is an interesting alternative -could be trialled in something like the JPT.

• Options
    The drama of penalties is brilliant. After '98 will always love them, until we lose a bigger game. How about gradually increasing the goal size through extra time.
  • Options
    FIFA sniper in the stands who can bring down a player during extra time. Obviously keeping both sides even numbers. Would add a lot of tension I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FIFA sniper in the stands who can bring down a player during extra time. Obviously keeping both sides even numbers. Would add a lot of tension I think.
    How would you decide which team loses a player first?
  • Options
    A penalty shoot out between the two teams prior to extra time starting seems like a good idea.

• Options
    How about only allowing 9 in your own half for the first 7.5 mins of half time, then 8 in your own half for the next 7.5 mins etc. A nightmare to referee but should produce a goal pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Funny how so many people are appalled that Blatter's come out with this after Chelsea won a penalty shoot out v a German team, but when the game itself took place most wanted Chelsea to lose!

I don't actually think this has anything to do with Blatter's anti-Englishness, rather the fact that he feels he has to say something on every subject and often doesn't think. The fact that previously he wanted all games decided by penalties and now he wants none kind of backs that up.

I like the idea of unlimited extra time with no penalties, just not sure it would happen as TV broadcasters probably wouldn't want it.
  • Options
    Rather than penalties I'd like to see something where it's a bit harder to score, that way the emphasis is on rewarding those that can get it in rather than crucifying those that don't; 1 on 1 Direct free kicks from anywhere outside the 18yd box - no second touch, no rebounds.
  • Options
    It could be argued that penalty shoot-outs make games more boring by allowing inferior teams to sit back and defend and then take their chance with penalties. Forcing the teams to play until someone wins would force both teams to try and win.
    Andy that means that some games would last about 3 weeks.
  • Options
    If the game is a draw then unless you are counting shots on goal in the game etc it is variation on the same principle. A player could run from the half line but it is still a set play deciding the end of the game.

Typical though Blatter only mentions this when the German team loses.

Blatter and Fifa present the perfect argument for Fixed Term Presidency with a maximum of two terms that any one president can serve. Fifa, a corrupt and inept organisation.

I quite look forward to the penalties at the end of the game. In a rubbish game, you are least guaranteed some excitement and drama at the end of the game,
  • Options
    all tournaments should be solved on goals scored,

if the teams were drawn at the end the team who had scored the most goals in the tournament so far wins that game
  • Options

if the teams were drawn at the end the team who had scored the most goals in the tournament so far wins that game
    Yes D but like a lot of other alternatives mentioned (penalties before ET) teams will know they only need a draw before kick off, borefest, especially of it were the Greeks/Italians!!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nice idea NLA! Could still be a tie though, then go to goals conceded maybe? After that Pens is the only realistic option.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The problem I see with this is as follows:

Two-bob Rovers from League 1 are playing against Big-bush City from the championship in the FA cup 3rd round. Two-bob have already played 2 games in the competition so park the bus for a draw and go through to the next round..................

• Options
    i think it would make teams go for it early on in the tournament and liven up the whole thing, winning 1 nil would be no good early doors

i agree with you perry , what happens after , if goals conceded is the same then pens as the third and final option instead of first option
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sepp Blatter is such a disgusting little crook (in my opinion). He got the job having facilitated the crooked (in my opinion) dealings of his mate Havelange who was also a disgusting crook (in my opinion). He would have the goalkeeper in giant comedy boots if he thought it would bring his disgusting crooked organisation more corporate TV money.
  • Options
    Sepp Blatter is such a disgusting little crook. He got the job having facilitated the crooked dealings of his mate Havelange who was also a disgusting crook. He would have the goalkeeper in giant comedy boots if he thought it would bring his disgusting crooked organisation more corporate TV money.
  • Options
    I think the sniper should be blindfolded, but they are allowed 20 shots. ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN.
  • Options
    Sepp Blatter is such a disgusting little crook. He got the job having facilitated the crooked dealings of his mate Havelange who was also a disgusting crook. He would have the goalkeeper in giant comedy boots if he thought it would bring his disgusting crooked organisation more corporate TV money.
    LOL. You're a braver man than me.
  • Options
    If Crap Splatter wants it, it has to be wrong. Simple as that really.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Two half's of extra time, with only one team able to attack in each, the defenders can only punt it into the other half if they gain possession. Real back to the wall business.

(to cut down on the likelihood of pens, not replace)
  • Options
    Bucking Blatter

A player from each team jumps on blatters back, the one that falls of first loses
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    If all square at end of game both teams nominate five players who line up to have one good kick each at Sepp Blatters arse. Any player who fails to strike at least one of his buttocks is adjudged to have dropped a point. The team with most dropped points loses. Mr Blatter will of course be provided with generous expenses for his role in this exciting, forward-looking initiative. So nothing different there.