Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sensible or unpatriotic?

Seems like a whole host of people are fleeing the country to escape the Jubilee jollies and the Olympic ordeals. Travel insurance companies are working flat out to keep up with unprecedented demand for overseas insurance policies and their sites keep crashing. We are set to depart on June1st with our caravan and are heading for wildlife areas in France and Austria for 6-8 weeks. I wish the Queen well, she has been a constant and dutiful presence during my lifetime and she certainly deserves the thanks. But I personally cannot stand all the hype and the marketisation/ rip off aspects of the events so I thought going to see the vultures in Austria would be a great deal more pleasant. I see us as eminently sensible, but others would say we are curmudgeonly and unpatriotic. So, what will you be doing?

Comments

• Street Party, but out the back as they will not let us use the street!
    Been landscaping for the last 2 weekends. Not at all a royalist but a big thank you to the Queen for keeping the visitors happy ;) and all the ceremonies and duties that don't really mean that much.
  • Long weekend, cheaper to get out of the country, so I'm off to New York for 5 days.
  • Not too keen on the Royals, so I'm not doing anything to celebrate the jubilee. Will be doing a classic car run down to the coast on the Sunday.
  • Garden party or something as well as the pub plus will watch as much of the Olympics as possible & get up around the venues to sample the atmosphere.

This country is great at moaning and being grumpy and plenty are doing it for both of these events.
  • Family round for tea and watch it on the telly, union jacks and bunting all round the house.

God bless the Queen !
  • Garden party or something as well as the pub plus will watch as much of the Olympics as possible & get up around the venues to sample the atmosphere.

This country is great at moaning and being grumpy and plenty are doing it for both of these events.

• Agree SLL I am not particularly a Royalist but really appreciate the work the Queen has done over the last 60 years it has been a real example of how you should conduct yourself in the public eye. As for the Olympics like you I'll be trying to watch/attend as much as possible appreciate that this has cost the country Billions but now it's here lets enjoy it afterall it sure as hell ain't gonna be back in my lifetime and probably not in my kids lifetime it's a celebration of sport and our country.
  • Don't think you are being unpatriotic stilladdicted. Unless you were going to The Mall to wave a flag, you would have only watched it on TV anyway, and you can bet there will be coverage wherever you are in the world.
  • Never been a fan. Brian may has a ridiculous hairstyle.............................
  • Going to wander down to Greenwich on the Sunday and watch the end of the river pageant which I think will be spectacular. The standard said the naval College would be holding the biggest street party on the lawns.

Finish work on Friday and not back to work until 6th. Staying in the country tho.

• Sponsored links:

• The Jubilee is one thing, all be it I won't be doing much myself. The Olympics, however, are going to cause mayhem for all commuters into or around London. If my wife wasn't contracting at a bank in the City we would be going away from Opening Ceremony to the Closing Ceremony.

I'm convinced that we would have been better off if the Olympics had been held somewhere else. To be fair we didn't apply for tickets, but I suspect we wouldn't have got any even if he had done. It's cost Billions and most Londoners (and commuters) are going to be inconvenienced and will find the only way they can watch any of it will be on the TV - just as it would have been if it'd been held in America.

I know I sound like a boring old fart, but I really can't be bothered about it all.
  • fate on at the Village Green, all stalls selling everything for £1, beer tent etc etc. Having only moved in eight weeks ago will be popping down to enter the spirit of things and meet some locals other than the Doctor ! Could be fun.
  • I'm coming into my office to watch the Jubilee Pageant from prime riverside views, I'm really looking forward to it. They are trying to organise a street party where I live, but as I can't stand the majority of people that live near me, I will not be assisting or attending!

Working from home during the Olympics, which actually means watching the sport on TV and checking emails from time to time.

If you're not interested, then you're not interested. Go away from it all and enjoy yourself, as I will be doing watching the boats and the athletes :-)
  • edited May 2012

To be fair we didn't apply for tickets, but I suspect we wouldn't have got any even if he had done. It's cost Billions and most Londoners (and commuters) are going to be inconvenienced and will find the only way they can watch any of it will be on the TV - just as it would have been if it'd been held in America.

I know I sound like a boring old fart, but I really can't be bothered about it all.
    Well they just went on general sale so if you do want to attend now is the time to purchase, although you may prefer to moan for the sake of it :)

EDIT: that was paraolympics.... rest go on sale on wednesday
  • Can't wait for the Olympics, gonna be a nightmare getting to work, but who cares it's only 2 weeks, will be a fantastic occasion. Got tickets to see Basketball. Think I'll enjoy the Jubilee, my wife dragged me and the kids up to the Royal Wedding last year at 6am and we stood near Horseguards. Got to say it was amazing atmosphere, although going to a family BBQ for this.
  • Joe is on his fo 4otball tour that weekend so I will be dutifully patriotic in clacton rendition of god save the queen every night
  • Going to wander down to Greenwich on the Sunday and watch the end of the river pageant which I think will be spectacular. The standard said the naval College would be holding the biggest street party on the lawns.

Finish work on Friday and not back to work until 6th. Staying in the country tho.

This is the one thing I would really like to have seen, oh well, I will have to wait for Canaletto to paint it for me ;-)

• Not a royalist although accept that the Queen has done a good job for the country. Happy we get a holiday and thank her for that, but won't waste it waving a flag at the mall or going to any pagent or a garden party with loads of people I don't particularly like!
  • Bought some Olympic tickets last week to the modern pentathlon in Greenwich Park. £20 each so cheaper than a seat in the Covered End lower to watch CAFC vs Rochdale or their like. Seems a decent price and was dead easy to buy.

What's all the fuss about?
  • As its half term that week I'm taking the kids to Camber Sands - 4 night special deal from the Daily Mail, only costing us £80 for a 3 bed chalet. Shame that I will be missing all the fun , but I'm sure i'll catch it on the TV or see some bunting and flags around Rye, Hastings etc

Just hoping this "warm" weather they keep talking about finally comes up trumps - don't fancy sitting on the beach with my coat on !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• WIsh more people were a bit more patriotic though. I had the bright idea of taking family to Legoland last year on the day of the Royal Wedding. Too many unpatriotic ******** like me though and the place was still packed. Going to go to France this year for a day trip, should be safe enough I would have thought.
  • Well our websites not crashed, we are not selling many more policies than a normal June, there is always a rush in June, namely for the July and August holidays we all go on.
  • Bought some Olympic tickets last week to the modern pentathlon in Greenwich Park. £20 each so cheaper than a seat in the Covered End lower to watch CAFC vs Rochdale or their like. Seems a decent price and was dead easy to buy.

What's all the fuss about?
    Was this for the Olympics or the Paralympics?

Where did you get the tickets from?
  • Street party on 3rd June with the neighbours, bbq and beer

My sons 4th birthday on Jubilee day so bbq and beer

Good on the Queen.

• Not unpatriotic but leaving the UK for the duration of the summer.

Neither McDonalds, Nike, David Beckham nor the Royal Family need my financial patronage and I can't share my countrymen's enthusiasm for forking out hundreds of quid to watch women's handball or disabled ludo and having ground to air missiles installed on my roof.

Also have the horrible feeling that these events are little distractions to keep the prols happy while the elite balls up the country.

On the grounds that success is often inversely proportional to the spin and hype generated, I think England might do alright at the Euros and that will prove to be the real sporting highlight of the summer.

• The Jubilee is one thing, all be it I won't be doing much myself. The Olympics, however, are going to cause mayhem for all commuters into or around London. If my wife wasn't contracting at a bank in the City we would be going away from Opening Ceremony to the Closing Ceremony.

I'm convinced that we would have been better off if the Olympics had been held somewhere else. To be fair we didn't apply for tickets, but I suspect we wouldn't have got any even if he had done. It's cost Billions and most Londoners (and commuters) are going to be inconvenienced and will find the only way they can watch any of it will be on the TV - just as it would have been if it'd been held in America.

If you're a lover of sport, then I can handle some travel chaos to have the Olympics in my home city for the first time in my life. Work near Trafalgar Square so I think they've got a big screen on so will wander to that as well as heading over to Stratford one weekend. Sadly I didn't get tickets but it's unlikely I'll ever get to experience another Olympics.

The New Eltham line isn't affected either by the Olympic timetable, no doubt it'll be busier but I'll cope!

• Unashamed, shallow, naive Royalist and Patriot here so cant wait, will be riverside for the Pageant, street party on the Monday, have Olympic tickets and going to the first Euro game England V France, just an Englebert Humperdink away from a full house
  • Came over from Oz fot the Queen's celebrations. There ain't too much we lead the world in nowadays, but our Royal Family plus the pomp and pageant is one of them. Going home before the Olympics..........could not get tickets
  • not being a big royalist doesn't mean i'm not patriotic.