Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Subbuteo Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    1974 set for me, had the floodlights in it as well. I also had Peru, loved the strip!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Loved the goalie on the spring.

Still got my cloth pitch, super goals and several teams in late 60s colours:

Charlton (of course)
    Plymouth Argyle - in all white with green and black hoop round the middle of the shirt
    Exeter City - red stripes and red shorts
    Bradford City - claret and yellow shirts, claret shorts
    Norwich City - used to pretend they were Brazil lol, who'd just won the 1970 World Cup
    Sheffield Wednesday - in blue with white sleeves, Arsenal style

Used to have all sorts of Leagues and Cup competition with schoolmates.
    Haven't played it since I gave up my paperound/discovered women.

As Covered End says, all up in the loft.

PS: Just been up in the loft on a mission .....and unbelievably found the Subbuteo stuff almost straightaway.
    Opened the box and it's all there still, although there are a few injuries! - teams in addition to the above:

Hibs - in green with white sleeves, Arsenal style
    Millwall - (can't believe I forgot to include them above) in all Lilywhite.

No Palace. In our pre-Selhurst days they just did not count; Millwall were the real enemy!

• Options

my brother had subbuteo and the cricket game, although my sylvanian family animals used to be subs and when he wasn't there i used to play with about 18 players each side.
    Sisters, eh?

Mine were BANNED from my bedroom. Or else!

• Options
    I got the set that came out after Argentina 78, so the two teams were Holland and Argentina. I built up quite a bit of stuff and it probably marks the beginning of my obsession with goal nets. Sad to say, I mostly played alone, if you know what I mean, but a friend had his pitch set up on a snooker table, which was much more civilised without all that kneeling down.

I also had Test match, which was good fun, though slightly unrealistic as the best field to set consisted of five stright mid-offs and four striaght mid-ons.

There was also a game called Tip-Kick, which was like Striker only better. I think it was massive in Germany, for some reason.
  • Options
    I loved this.
    Had about 40 teams including non league Yeovil, and multiple national teams.
    Also could get unpainted players and design your own kit, but only did that once as quite a pain.
    I remember that - I painted mine with Humbrol enamel and they looked horrible. I also had a limited edition Great Britain/UK team which was of course complete fantasy in those days but given the Olympic Team, could be quite valuable.

I gave all mine away to a lad who was three years younger than me when I was about Seventeen. Shame really, I wish I'd kept them.
  • Options
    Had the subbuteo game, brilliant fun. But then Striker came along and the figures actually kicked the ball. Cutting edge technology.
    I remember Striker - one of my posh mates had it. It was too posh and expensive for us.....:-)
  • Options
    My Nan, bless her, bought me Palace. I wanted Charlton but that one wasn't available.
    Did she get done for cruelty? :-)
  • Options
    This is it.

• Options
    edited May 2012

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to have the magnetic one here:

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/rivals01.htm
  • Options
    We used to play on the carpet. The green cloth pitch would hold quite well to a wall to wall carpet and just needed smoothing out every so often.

My Dad faithfully promised me that he was going to turn the loft into a games room and when he did he would make me a permanent place for my pitch. He never did.

Spring loaded goalies - yes I remember them.

A mate had the Rugby came which from memory came with a Rugby Ball shaped device that you used for scrums as it would let the ball out randomly to either team. There was a kicker for penalties and conversions. I never really liked it as much as the Football one.

I think I may have played the cricket one once or twice but it never really caught on.
  • Options
    Subbuteo and Scalextrics, those were the days! We don't even use words that good anymore!
    So true.

I was also a self-user. I would set up these intricate leagues and competitions and play every day by myself. It probably is the biggest thing I miss from my childhood. I had stands, scoreboards, fans, floodlights and loads of teams which I used to buy from that Sports Shop in Hither Green. Think the bloke who owned it was a Charlton fan.

I used to commentate on games as well and still remain distraught at the fact my old man gave all the subbuteo stuff away after I left home. Should have taken it all with me.

I used to play the cricket one too, but it was never the same.
  • Options
    This is it.

Those are terrible field placings. That batsman can now really only be out bowled.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Also, in my set the bowler had an extra bit on the front for the caught and bowled.
  • Options
    Had the cricket game and bought a modern version for my son which is still good but oved the bat on the string. They changed it to a switch device but letting go of the string at the right time was all about the timing. Was also great that you could ball a slower ball by lifting the hand as the ball ran down the shoot.

I loved my football games - had one in the 70s called big league which was endorsed by Martin Chivers. It had a pitch like a Subbuteo pitch but players like Striker's but you pulle the kicking leg back which was spring loaded. A great feature was that it came with paints so you painted the colours your wanted. I remember my dad painting Arsenal v Chelsea for me. The downside was the players were quite flimsy and the goalie was the same as the other players.

I also had Super Striker with Man Utd and Newcastle kits and diving keepers. Was fun for a quick game but didn't have the same depth as Subbuteo. Bought one of these sets for my son at a car boot sale and he used to love it but doesn't play anymore.

I can also remember having a board game based around Super Striker which was great fun to play. You had a team in a league and you played against other players - there was a goal and diving keeper and penalty spots in different areas that made shots difficult or easy. It involved money and building up your team. Can't remember it's name but had many happy hours playing it with my mates and family. Would love to have another go at that game!

Happy days - is FIFA really better than these? - you can't take FiFA to bed with you like I took my Brazil HW subbuteo team when I first got it. And I enjoyed packing it all away as much as playing with it, I was so proud of my collection. Made the mistake of passing it down to my much younger brother who managed to break it all!!!
  • Options
    Found the board game on the web - It was called Striker League Champions.
  • Options
    We used to play on the carpet. The green cloth pitch would hold quite well to a wall to wall carpet and just needed smoothing out every so often.

Must have been like recreating The Baseball Ground in the 60's.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I had the Arsenal team and with a cotton bud and some paint stripper we made one of them Sammy Nelson (famously mooned his own supporters around 78?)

Weirdest thing ever though and I think we have discussed it before on here was Subbuteo Snooker, mini snooker players that you would flick against the white to then pot a coloured ball, impossible and the record break would be about 4!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Now you've got me started! God knows how many hours I spent playing Subbuteo in the early '70's! Many of these were against Steve Davis (in his pre-snooker days) who was one of my best mates at school. We'd spend whole days playing out mini leagues. You can imagine the skill level!
    * Started in 1969 with the flat plastic players
    * I had home advantage on the carpet (the players would move in arcs); Steve had home advantage on chipboard (they move straight)
    * Bought most of my teams from Woodruff's, Bexleyheath
    * We used to play 10 minutes each way
    * I've still got a school exercise book with all our results immaculately recorded (anal or what!); sometimes we recorded attendance (determined by rolling special Soccer Boss dice)
    * For some reason I adopted Leeds and Man City away as my best teams; probably couldn't bear to be responsible for Charlton losing!
    * I put an extra washer into one of my star players so he could move in special ways
    * I made a few players brown-skinned and added moustaches etc with Airfix paints
    * Did you all play the offside rule + allowed to flick players onside when not in possession?
    * We always used the small ball and small goals
    * Still got all the gear and would love to have a chance to play again... image
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did Steve Davis waste time ?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    My father brought me back from Germany, The German version of Striker. It was called Tipp Kick. Pretty much the same but the players (men) were made of metal instead of plastic. Had Subbuteo too great fun.

Had hours of fun with family and friends.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Did anyone own Super Cup Football ?? loved this too. Proper 80s
  • Options
    Had Subbuteo football, cricket and rugby. Plus had the floodlights, stands, scoreboards etc. Was always glueing players cos I leant or trod on them! I also had the Charlton/Middlebrough team.
    Also had Super Striker.

Anyone else also play Owzthat - 2 metal rectangular dice. I spent hours and hours playing this. It came in a small round tube. You can still get it, although mostly plastic these days.

Re subbuteo cricket, I used to spit on the wicket to create a damp pitch, in the hope that Derek Underwood would get loads of turn. Ended up wearing a hole in the baize, sadly.

Those were the days.
  • Options
    Owzthat. Oh yes. What a childhood. None of this Playstation nonsense :-)
  • Options
    Nice to know there's so many kindred spirits out there. Used to play subbuteo with my best friend (who has now introduced me to Charlton Life) - crowd noises, commentaries, endless arguments - great fun. And of course endless happy hours playing with myself too.

Just dug out this "Owzthat" cricket game. Used to keep all the scores. Remember a five match test series between a team of pop stars (I think Lena Zavaroni opened the batting) and a World Leaders X1.

• Options
    My father brought me back from Germany, The German version of Striker. It was called Tipp Kick. Pretty much the same but the players (men) were made of metal instead of plastic. Had Subbuteo too great fun.

Had hours of fun with family and friends.
    That's the fella. A friend had that and it was truly, truly addictive.

Also, love the exercise book of scores. Glad I wasn't the only one keeping records, although I haven't still got mine!

• Options
    Pokkit Socca anyone?
  • Options
    Did anyone own Super Cup Football ?? loved this too. Proper 80s
    </blockquote

Got one given to me for a bithday present a couple months ago. Loved it as a kid!