Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Tower

Today they unveiled a tower at the Olympic Park at a cost of £20m, it has no practical use, the public can't go up it until 2014.

Whose paying the £20m?

OK I'm anti Olympics but can understand how to others it is a good thing, but spending this amount of money on a structure that adds nothing to the games seems to be disgusting waste of money when our country is broke.

Rant over

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure I read Lakshmi Mittal footed most of the bill
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    didn't someone else foot most of the bill.

anyway the cable cars are a good idea....
  • Options
    Whose paying the £20m?

Lakshmi Mittal.

Hope that doesn't ruin your rant.
  • Options
    I'm sure I read Lakshmi Mittal footed most of the bill
    ...that's my understanding too.

deccanherald.com/content/61382/design-mittal-funded-tower-london.html
  • Options
    Yep, mainly paid for by Mittal (£17m), the public can go up in July, and they'll be access throughout the rejigging of Olympic Park
  • Options
    Funded by private money i beleive and looks great in my opinion. I overlook the site from my work and it really stands out.
  • Options
    FWIW I was also very impressed with it when I did the Olympic Park run recently. Looking forward to getting up there some time.
  • Options
    Can see it from the end of my road and I'm not a fan of it, think its just a bit ugly really. But then again I'm not really a fan of any of the architecture in the park with the exception of the velodrome
  • Options
    I don't like it much (and I usually do like Kapoor's stuff) but maybe it will grow on me.

I do like the Olympic Park though. I went there for a site visit in 2004 and then again last year. The transformation is incredible. From waste management sites, car breakers yards, dirty rivers do beautifully landscaped meadows.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for LL to return to this thread with his tail between his legs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seems to be towers popping up all over the place.

towers to be the new Ferris wheel? every city needs one.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-05-11/council-inject-14m-into-i360-scheme/
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It looks an utter mess and is a testament to what a waste of money modern art is. They want to charge £15 quid a pop to go up it so those who say it's privately funded - Think again.
  • Options
    seems to be towers popping up all over the place.

towers to be the new Ferris wheel? every city needs one.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-05-11/council-inject-14m-into-i360-scheme/
    Completely off topic whilst we wait for LL but why do designers think that sticking an "i" in front of anything immediately gives whatever piece of rubbish they are designing any added value at all? Where's it all going to end I thought to myself this morning as I tucked into my icrunchynutflakes?

• Options
    I'm waiting for LL to return to this thread with his tail between his legs
    Woof woof, whimper :)
  • Options
    It will become known as "The Boris"
  • Options
    If someone else paid for it how come some of the justificaiton for the high prices to go up were to recover the costs?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18024138
  • Options
    It looks an utter mess and is a testament to what a waste of money modern art is. They want to charge £15 quid a pop to go up it so those who say it's privately funded - Think again.
    How does charging to go up it make it publicly funded?

• Options
    Read the BBC story!

"Steel company ArcelorMittal provided £19.2m towards the cost of building the Orbit, with the remaining £3.1m being funded by London Development Agency."

£3.1m of pubic funding being recoupped by charging extortionate fees. So basically, the public pays or the public pays.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I think that's pretty obvious. At £15 a time to go up the monstrosity it will be paid retrospectively by the public many times over.
    Who paid for it initially to be built is irrelevant .
    Unless they are going to give all admission charges to charity and i doubt that very much.
  • Options
    Yes, that looks worth £15 to go up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to a privately owned and funded restaurant once.
    Buggers made me pay for the food I ate there.
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay £15 to go up the oxo tower
  • Options

I think that's pretty obvious. At £15 a time to go up the monstrosity it will be paid retrospectively by the public many times over.
    Unless they are going to give all admission charges to charity and i doubt that very much.
    Fine. You don't know what "publicly funded" means.
  • Options

I think i do but enlighten me on your definition.
  • Options
    There are still operational costs to be paid for, it's like being shocked that they charge you to go on the London eye or even to a football match
  • Options
    I went to a privately owned and funded restaurant once.
    Buggers made me pay for the food I ate there.
    As long as they weren't claiming to others that you got your spag bol on the house....
  • Options
    There are still operational costs to be paid for, it's like being shocked that they charge you to go on the London eye or even to a football match
    Yep. Just look at the the QE2 Bridge.
  • Options

I think i do but enlighten me on your definition.
    A project which is funded by the government is publicly funded.

So a museum which gets most of its money from Government grants is publicly funded even if entry is free to the public.

A museum which doesn't receive any money from the Government is privately funed even if it charges an entry fee to members of the public to get in.

Hope that clears it up for you.

• Options
    Hello......Hello can anybody hear me?

Does anybody actually read comments before replying. This project has been publically funded to the tune of £3.1m. A small percentage of the total cost but it is still publically funded.

The public - or for the sake of clarity lets call them 'users' are then charged to go up it to recover the public funding.

One could assume that if / when the public cost is recoverd, profits will go to the private investors.

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of bitching at each other.

• Options
    The viewing gallery on The Shard will be something very special. I'm going to visit it as soon as possible.

The Olympic one is more of an art piece that I hated at first but is started to grow on me. There are far better examples and something better could have been built for the money, which is relatively small btw.