Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradford fire - 37 years ago on May 11th

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2012
    You can't see anybody moving in the stand at the end but no-one left in there would still have been standing.

Then there is the example of the poor man you see in flames in the far corner of the ground. Although he actually got out of the stand alive I'm sure I heard somewhere that he didn't survive.. With more than around 30% burns I think your hopes of survival are pretty minimal.

Finally, the proper exits were at the back of the stand. I think most of the people who died tried to use those and got trapped. Those were the nearest and obvious exits for many people but I seem to recall some of them were locked (to keep people out).
  • Options
    56 stars are shining bright,
    54 claret and amber, 2 red and white.
    The tragic events that took you away,
    Will be remembered always on the 11th of May.
    Fans packed the ground, some young some old,
    All unaware of what was too unfold.
    To see the champions was the only aim,
    56 lives lost at a football game.
    The pain hasn't eased after all the years,
    Generations of fans all shedding tears.
    The last home game is always sombre,
    But heavens awash with claret and amber.
    Your presence we'll miss and the memories we'll treasure,
    We'll love you always and forget you never.
    So take a look at the sky tonight,
    They'll be 56 stars that are shining bright.

R.I.P.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The stand was built into the side of a natural dip so that the turnstiles at street level in Valley Parade brought you directly into the top of the stand. A pathway ran the length of the stand between it and the turnstiles: there was no wide circulation area or means of escape other than on to the pitch or the narrow exits to the pathway. An unimaginable horror.
  • Options
    Just watching the footage for the first time. Jesus Christ.

RIP.
  • Options
    People went to a football match and never came home.

RIP
  • Options
    se9addick said:

People went to a football match and never came home.

RIP

That post just about sums it up for me.

• Options
    If you can find a copy of Four Minutes to Hell by Paul Firth,well worth aread its the story of the Bradford City Fire.
    www.parrswoodpress.com
  • Options

Book Review: Four Minutes to Hell: The Story of the Bradford City Fire by Paul Firth

Saturday 11 May 1985 should have been a day of celebration at Valley Parade as Bradford City paraded the trophy after winning the 1984/85 Third Division title. Instead it became an occasion of horror, devastation and sadness. Towards the end of the first-half in the game against Lincoln City, a small flame was seen underneath an area of seats, but which in minutes turned the whole stand into an inferno. 56 people lost their lives and hundreds more were injured.

Four Minutes to Hell by Paul Firth was written 20 years after the tragedy. Some might question the morality of writing about such an event and it is something that the author did consider and shares his reasoning for publishing the story within the early part of the book. Firth understood that his work could “…perpetuate publicly the memory of the terrible disaster they (the citizens of Bradford) had suffered…” However, the author felt compelled to tell the story, encouraged by those that he spoke to in gathering his research. Firth explains that he decided to go ahead with his project so that “…those who don’t know what happened will take a little time to find out more and perhaps understand why some of us still want to have that day remembered with dignity for a long time yet…”
    The title of the book refers to the estimated time from the first flame to the entire stand being on fire – just four minutes. Hell? Well on two counts really.

Firstly, anyone seeing the pictures of the blaze will relate to the biblical reference to the fires of hell and secondly what people suffered at the time and perhaps what some survivors still endure as a consequence of the events that day. The cover of the book is simply laid out featuring the Bradford City colours of Claret and Amber and has a picture which shows the fire having engulfed Block G of the stand and it spreading towards the Bradford End, with some spectators on the pitch as the players look to leave the playing area. In terms of content it is set out in seventeen chapters, with a foreword by Terry Yorath and a postscript, totalling 191 pages and 16 pages of pictures. Whilst this book features events on that fateful day as seen through the eyes of fans, players, officials and the various emergency services, it also provides details of the aftermath and the changes at Valley Parade and in football that followed the tragedy in 1985.

Paul Firth in the early chapters sets the scene and context in looking at other football disasters, such as Burnden Park (1946), Ibrox (1971) and Hillsborough (1989) and reminds the reader that football and its grounds were a very different event to that which people attend today. The author also provides a detailed description of the lay-out and condition of the main stand in Bradford in 1985, which is useful when Firth recounts the stories of other people on the day of the fire. The majority of the chapters then follow various people and their recollections of that dreadful day, whether they were fans, players, police, media or hospital staff. Chapter fifteen focuses on Mr Justice Popplewell who was to lead the inquiry into the Bradford fire. The second and final Popplewell Report was issued early in 1986 and concluded that the fire started due to “…the accidental lighting of debris below the floorboards in rows I or J…” and recommended that future stands be constructed of non-combustible material and also banned smoking in stands made of combustible materials.

Chapter sixteen focuses on how Valley Parade had changed in the twenty years since the fire and looks at the ways in which present day games are organised in terms of policing, stewarding and the legislation and bodies which govern spectator and stadium safety. The final Chapter is Paul Firth’s own story of that day in May 1985 and does bring together a number of strands recounted in earlier chapters.
    Four Minutes to Hell is eloquently written which whilst dealing with very personal and sometimes tragic individual stories, never feels voyeuristic in any way. It has an authoritative tone, which is always respectful, but does contain some gentle wit and humour. It is a story which should not be just confined to the readership of football fans; it is about human existence; life and death, loss, grief and guilt, good-luck, fate and the survival instinct, memory and respect. A fitting tribute to all whose life changed on that fateful day in May 1985.
  • Options
    the film of the use to be used as a training aid when talking about fire safety. There is a horric bit in it when a guy running away coat and hair just bursts into flame. The temp was so high.

I remember some twat from somewhere in Europe says out loud "its English hooligans"------to say he was put straight is an understatement,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The stand was designed by Archibald Leitch who designed several similar stands in England, Scotland and Wales.

These types of wooden structure would never be allowed now and are particularly prone to fire if they are not properly maintained and managed. It still amazes me how grounds with these stands still get their fire certificates.

Most notably in London, Fulham still has two AL stands and Palace one.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Addickted said:

The stand was designed by Archibald Leitch who designed several similar stands in England, Scotland and Wales.

These types of wooden structure would never be allowed now and are particularly prone to fire if they are not properly maintained and managed. It still amazes me how grounds with these stands still get their fire certificates.

Most notably in London, Fulham still has two AL stands and Palace one.

A terrible disaster. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.
    This disaster could and should have been avoided, as should the Kings Cross disaster.

Regarding Leitch, he was the best football ground designer of his day and perhaps all time. Leitch, it should be noted, worked with the materials and methods of his day. Leitch, as I understand, also made significant improvements to football grounds' safety folllowing the first Ibrox disaster. As you state maintenance and management of the stand were factors in the disaster. I suspect that the stand was in a worse condition on the day of the fire than when it was completed in 1911.

In London Leitch was also involved in the building of, Twickenham, White Hart Lane (part still stands I think), the original Highbury stands, The Den, Stamford Bridge and West Ham Stadium (not West Ham F.C).
  • Options
    Remember it all too well......was horrible watching the events unfold...makes me realise how fortunate Iam to still be around 28 years later, albeit it seems to have passed in a blur. RIP
  • Options
    Bradford stadium fire, 30 years ago today

RIP
  • Options
    Just remembering. 31 years today. RIP
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    Yep that was an awful day. RIP Banthams
  • Options

RIP
  • Options
    As awful in it's way as Hillsborough. Another terrible tragedy. R.I.P.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still as chilling today.

Some club CEOS might do well to look at the footage of this tragedy before making decisions on erecting netting.
  • Options
    Anyone know if anything further ever came out about that director who'd had all the fires in previous businesses etc?
  • Options

Smudge it was a 5 day course, the thing that shocked me was that poor sole who was fully alight and just standing there, I think in the end they cut that portion of the film. The speed of the spread of the fire was frightening, anyone away from the exit didn't stand a chance. Hugo everybody involved in the rescue services that where utter heros, and those working in the casualty and burns units must have seen some horrendous sights.

The day of the fire I was travelling with a load of my mates to watch Macclesfield v the mighty Darts in the semi final of the FA trophy which we lost, but who cared.

I've always remembered the dartford v Macclesfield semi coinciding with Hillsborough (and thought it was the home game that finished 0-0).

Anyway, not to derail the thread, this was an awful day in football and often overlooked. RIP to the 56.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Yep that was an awful day. RIP Banthams

And Imps.

• Options

Anyone know if anything further ever came out about that director who'd had all the fires in previous businesses etc?

Nothing at all.

Compensation was paid following a test case but no individual(s) was ever prosecuted. Theresa May was asked in 2015 (30 years) to look at whether a similar Hillsborough styled inquiry should be carried out but nothing ever came of it.

RIP the 56
  • Options
    I still don't know why it takes a disaster in this country for the Government to act.
    Why always reactive and not pro-active?
    At least the EU has put the UK straight on many laws so reducing many risks to us and
    for that I am thankful.
    Our "leaders" are anything but leading in any way.
    Those poor people who died and were injured and those who still have the mental agony attached to
    witnessing such an horrific event.
  • Options

i remember hearing bits of news coming thru on the radio and not really realising the complete tragedy of it all, we were on our way back from a 5-1 defeat at promoted man city

27 years scary

Oohaah, I was also on my way back from Maine Rd that day, the train pulled into a station (possibly Crewe) and there were evening edition sports papers that relayed the tragedy. As part of our fire awareness training at work, we were shown the video of the whole fire, from first signs of smoke, to the stand being fully ablaze, it really brought home how quick it all happened.
  • Options
    RIP to the Leeds fan killed at St Andrews the same day too. 15 years old and his first game. An awful day for football.