Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pub near London Bridge?

I'm taking 15 students who are learning English at the school I'm working to the Hartlepool game on 5 May.

I'm looking for a meeting point near London Bridge Train Station where we can have a pint as well.

Any ideas? I don't know the area very well.

Fortunately there isn't a Millwall home game as the Championship finishes the week before.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    You should just use the bottom of the shard as the meet point, there's a pub there too.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    Or all bar one right outside. Dump though it is, the finer points of UK culture are always lost on international students.
  • Options
    Take them to the George Inn. Great if it's a nice day. You can teach them a bit of history at the same time -

http://www.pubs.com/main_site/pub_details.php?pub_id=92
  • Options
    Take them to the George Inn. Great if it's a nice day. You can teach them a bit of history at the same time -

This.
  • Options
    The Grapes just along from Guy's Hospital isn't bad, I hear you get a good bunch in there.
  • Options
    Plenty of good boozers in Borough as well.
  • Options

This.
    Yes, good shout.
  • Options
    Definately The George.
  • Options
    Banker and Barrow Boy - it's on the bridge itself right opposite the station and is a big pub, so easy to congregate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They'd never find the George or you'll have them turning up late and making you late. Plus groups of people take forever to mobilise at the best of times, language students are even worse.
  • Options
    They'd never find the George or you'll have them turning up late and making you late. Plus groups of people take forever to mobilise at the best of times, language students are even worse.
    Best just give up before even trying then, eh?
  • Options
    The George is well worth a visit and it is 2 minute walk from London Bridge.
  • Options
    No, just go somewhere simple.
  • Options
    All great tips.
    Thanks a lot fellas.
    Going to check them out today.

Agree with AshTray about the pub culture being lost on some of them
    Trying to get the right combination of nice pub and good location.

Cheers
  • Options
    The Market Porter or The Rake at Borough Market. The Rake will probably have a beer available from all the countries represented by your students.
  • Options
    Anyone know the Old King's Head?

Link
  • Options
    Barrowboy and Banker also a decent boozer.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Link
    Last time I went in there it stank to high heaven of a combination of stale piss and those horrible yellow cubes they use to try and mask the smell - and this was in the bar.

The Bunch of Grapes is not a bad shout. Near to the train station, right next to the Borough High St exit for the tube and if you stand outside you can stare up at the Shard for hours!

http://www.youngs.co.uk/pub-detail.asp?PubID=367
  • Options

Link

Yes, tucked away a bit and a bit hit and miss. I would say the Grapes gives you a good balance between a nice enough, traditional style pub and the practical considerations of herding and them getting there in the first place.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Link
    If its the one I'm thinking of then yes, I have been in there once. I remember it being roomy with a decent beer garden.
  • Options

Link
    If its the one I'm thinking of then yes, I have been in there once. I remember it being roomy with a decent beer garden.
    Sounds like The George to me....

• Options
    Try the Mudlark under the Bridge. Cross over Tooley street, turn left by the London Bridge Hospital and it's 50 yards on the left. Big courtyard garden and a good choice of decent ales and lagers.
  • Options

Link

Sounds like most pubs!
    As I said, I only went in there once, so I'm not able to endorse it.
  • Options
    Watched the Liverpool/Everton semi in The Shipwright's Arms the other day. Nice pub, not too expensive and shows whatever football's on at the time on big projector screens.
    As an added bonus when I went there were a load of Brighton fans giving it the big one. They started singing about how Brighton were the best team in the world and had to be told to shut up by the manager. Right before they lost 6-0 to Hammers. I still enjoy that
  • Options
    Market Porter
  • Options

Link
    Dutty pub with flat beer. Can usually get served fairly quickly, though.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Link

Sounds like most pubs!
    As I said, I only went in there once, so I'm not able to endorse it.
    True, unless - like the Old Kings Head - it doesn't have a beer garden!
  • Options
    The Old King's Head is a great pub. Yes, it's a bit basic, but you need a pub like that when most of the others round there are plastic and trendy. They also sell Harveys and have football on. Usually a few Charlton in there on match days. Also have a happy hour in eve - not sure about lunch time.
  • Options
    The Old King's Head is a great pub. Yes, it's a bit basic, but you need a pub like that when most of the others round there are plastic and trendy. They also sell Harveys and have football on. Usually a few Charlton in there on match days. Also have a happy hour in eve - not sure about lunch time.
    Have they sorted out the "smell"?