Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bert Weedon Dies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17781762

My brother played a duet with him at a holiday camp on Hayling Island in the early 80's.

Comments

• Options
    Local lad I believe. St Mary Cray possibly? RIP.
  • Options
    No, East Ham I believe.
  • Options
    Whilst this is tragic I am unaware of the fellow. His name surname however, did interest me.
  • Options
    Paul MaCartney, Jimmy Page, Brian May etc learnt to play guitar from his manual.
  • Options
    91 years old. Decent innings.

Remember his guitar books when I were a lad.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I remember listening to him with Uncle Mac on Childrens Family favourites some Saturday mornings.

I bet Oggy does too :-)

RIP Bert
  • Options
    an icon from my childhood. As said above the initiator of many a music career amongst working class boys. He seemed to be on every music/childrens' programme ever broadcast in the 50s and early 60s. Only 91 ? ... he looked well over 60 years old 50 years ago. R I P Bert
  • Options
    Anyone remember Mike Read learning the guitar on the Radio1 breakfast show in the 80s, from a Bert Weedon book?
  • Options
    like swimming, or driving, its hard to learn Guitar playing from a book, but Bert had a magnificent moustache at times, so all credit to him, 91 would be more than enough for me, RIP BW
  • Options
    RIP Bert. I had a copy of his book when I started, so that's something I have in common with Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Brian May and George Harrison!

With my lifestyle I'm not going to get anywhere near 91 - a good innings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same for me SL I started with Berts book and lets face it anyone who inspired Clapton, Page, McCartney et al has his rightful place in music history. 91 is a bloody good knock RIP Bert and thanks
  • Options
    Saw him onstage at a summer variety show in Blackpool in the seventies, Dick Emery was the headline act. RIP Bert.
  • Options
    RIP Bert
  • Options
    Does pussy cat Willem mean anything to anyone or did I just dream a connection between Bert and the cat ? RIP Bert.
  • Options
    Does pussy cat Willem mean anything to anyone or did I just dream a connection between Bert and the cat ? RIP Bert.
    I'm too young to know who you mean

:-)

Pussy Cat Willum and Muriel Young and yes I think Bert played the odd tune....
  • Options
    a great influence to many ... RIP
  • Options

Cheers Len. I knew I wasnt dreaming it. Muriel Young ....... Might google her for a Wouldya ;0)

• Options
    Actually I just have and no point cos she was a right cracker.
  • Options
    I was explaining how I knew him to a young'un early re Mike Reid breakfast show.
    Happy Days!
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Paul MaCartney, Jimmy Page, Brian May etc learnt to play guitar from his manual.
    so did I.

And I'm better than that lot.

I learned house of the rising sun and played it over and over again.

"Play in a day". Well that was crap for a start.

RIP Bert, your book was terrible but you are a ledge.
  • Options
    RIP Bert.
  • Options
    All very fascinating but DRF has raised an interesting point which no-one on here or Wikipedia has yet answered. Who was it that Bert Weed on? And what was their reaction? I think we should be told.
  • Options

My brother played a duet with him at a holiday camp on Hayling Island in the early 80's.
    Sunshine?
  • Options
    That was Wally Whyton's puppet I think.
  • Options

Sunshine?
    No, Sinah Warren.

• Options

I remember that in the very early 60s, when I was a young lad, we used to watch a programme called Tuesday Rendezvous, which was superseded by one with exactly the same format called 5 o'clock Club (or it may have been the other way round). Bert Weedon featured in at least one of these programmes, possibly both, along with Muriel Young and country singer, Wally Whyton, as well as puppets called Pussycat Willum, Ollie Beak and Fred Barker. Bert Weedon did a spot of guitar tutoring and Wally Whyton sung a folk song but I don't remember what else went on. Children's ITV in those days also featured a daily programme called Small Time (remember Torchy the Battery Boy, anyone?) which was aimed at the younger kids and this was also introduced by the ubiquitous Muriel Young and Pussycat Willum. Never liked the cat but Fred and Ollie were good fun.
  • Options
    That was Wally Whyton's puppet I think.
    Wally fecking Whyton. Had completely forgotten. Cheers Chirpy.

• Options
    And Aysha Brough, if I recall?