Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jaywalking In Jo'burg

I received a link to a video today which to me seems really shocking BUT probably
not so if you are a South African. The most disturbing thing about this are the people
at the top of the screen who just stand there and watch.......Can you imagine this
happening in Woolwich or anwhere else in the UK??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ejHHr-KKQU

Comments

• My god. Absolutely shocking. Why did the two bystanders not go to his aid ?
  • Was working there in Feb, the roads are mental. I saw someone stop right in front of me on the fast lane of the motorway, a dude that just wanders across the motorway regularly (twice) and numerous incidents from the "taxis" (which are what I think the vehicle that mowed that bloke over was, which are kind of undermaintained minibuses). Not really surprised
  • Truly sickening. Hope the driver was caught.
    Can’t believe the people just standing watching.
  • I've a good mate who lives in Durban and he tells me a lot about SA. Guns all over the place, the murder rate is terrifying, general crime is through the roof and a political system that is, at times, some kind of sick joke....a cesspit of a place...
    ...but what can you expect from a country who's leader has faced allegations of rape, gun running, corruption and intimidation of opponents. He takes new wives like they are going out of fashion and there are no official figures as to how many children he's fathered....it's believed to be in the 20's.

Mandela must be so proud.
  • Got done for this in Moscow. Copper was walking 3 of us to his car to go down the cop shop when after 50 yards he realised we wern't going to offer bribe and then simply let us go.
  • This happened not so long after I arrived in China:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/videos/2-year-old-chinese-girl-ran-over-by-van-ignored-by-18-bystanders.html

Horrific stuff and I'd advise not reading it if you don't have a strong stomach for horrible stories, even if you do, watching the video will probably push the limits of what you can take.
  • Two wretched examples of man's inhumanity to man.
    As for the Chinese incident Stu,some of the comments that followed beggared belief.
  • I've a good mate who lives in Durban and he tells me a lot about SA. Guns all over the place, the murder rate is terrifying, general crime is through the roof and a political system that is, at times, some kind of sick joke....a cesspit of a place...
    ...but what can you expect from a country who's leader has faced allegations of rape, gun running, corruption and intimidation of opponents. He takes new wives like they are going out of fashion and there are no official figures as to how many children he's fathered....it's believed to be in the 20's.

Yeah, it was much better in the old days...
  • We often grumble but there's a lot to be said for Living in England.
    For how long?
  • Sponsored links:

For how long?
    what?

Yeah, it was much better in the old days...
    Nah, it was shit....it's just a different type of shit now.
  • From what i hear Jo'burg is a frightening place to live. Fatal car crashes involving lots of cars every day, murder and gun crime through the roof. I might have made this up, but about 10 years ago wasn't there a South african cricketer that got shot in a bank robbery in joburg?
    For how long?
    what?
    Whoosh.
    For how long?
    what?
    Whoosh.
    gotcha.
    yes, true.
    For how long?
    what?
    Whoosh.
    gotcha.
    yes, true.
    Sad, isn't it.

Although I agree that England > SA.
  • How the hell are the bystanders the most shocking thing on that video? You do realise how many homicides Jborg has don't you? They were probably shitting themselves like I would've been.
  • How the hell are the bystanders the most shocking thing on that video? You do realise how many homicides Jborg has don't you? They were probably shitting themselves like I would've been.
    Exactly FOD....who knows what weapons might have been knocking around in that van?

• I live in South Africa and I can tell you all that this is a poor reflection of our country. Yes we may have horrible crime rates and this is also putting our country in a terrible light but honestly there is so much more to this country. Where that stuff happens is in the backwards part of our country where poverty is rife. I get to wake up with a mountain in view, sound of the sea, wonderful weather and not worrying about safety. However, like the video there are horrendous parts of SA but not much to do about it. In every country you have to deal with idiots and in our case more than the usual. Basically South Africa is not what that video represents.
  • Im sure its not WestSA. I hope to one day travel over there, definitely on my wish list as all my pals that have been have nothing but great things to say.

• Sponsored links:

• This happened not so long after I arrived in China:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/videos/2-year-old-chinese-girl-ran-over-by-van-ignored-by-18-bystanders.html

Horrific stuff and I'd advise not reading it if you don't have a strong stomach for horrible stories, even if you do, watching the video will probably push the limits of what you can take.
    *Speechless*
  • I live in South Africa and I can tell you all that this is a poor reflection of our country. Yes we may have horrible crime rates and this is also putting our country in a terrible light but honestly there is so much more to this country. Where that stuff happens is in the backwards part of our country where poverty is rife. I get to wake up with a mountain in view, sound of the sea, wonderful weather and not worrying about safety. However, like the video there are horrendous parts of SA but not much to do about it. In every country you have to deal with idiots and in our case more than the usual. Basically South Africa is not what that video represents.
    There is more to our country than this WestSA but unfortunately things are getting progressively worse. Murder and rape is just the norm now in Joburg so a guy being kicked in the street is hardly headline news. Is not long before Cape Town follows the same path - its just the DA keeping the criminal ANC out that's saved it for now. Its 3 years since I left Cape Town and yes I really miss it but there's more opportunity for me in the UK.

So it's a beautiful country just ruined by the people that live there !

To be honest, I really think that the posted video could easily have been filmed in (parts of) London.
  • Yeah I agree CapeTownAddick just that SA isnt everything represented in the video but yes the DA is keeping Cape Town from going to the dogs as with other cities. As much as I love my country, going to UK is completely understandable as it offers so much more than South Africa could. se9addick you have summed it up pretty well
    So it's a beautiful country just ruined by the people that live there !

To be honest, I really think that the posted video could easily have been filmed in (parts of) London.
    I really do doubt that, if that happened in front of me I would run over and help the person out.

• In a place where a lot of criminal types carry guns; a good Samaritan act can quite possibly get you killed. It's not as simple as that, I'm afraid - sad though that fact is.
  • Wouldn't matter to me, if someone is in real danger adrenaline would kick in and I would help them, during the riots people still helped people even tho that was dangerous. Easy way out a comment like that.
  • We all like to think we would do the right thing - but there's no way of knowing until the moment comes.

Speaking as someone who has found myself in exactly this kind of situation (though not in SA, I hasten to add) - I know that things could quite easily have taken another path and I wouldn't be here right now to debate the finer points of ethics and action with you!
  • No one knows how they would react to it, but those two people in that video who just watch it happen are just as bad as the driver, imagine standing outside a shop and just watching that happen in front of you and not doing anything about it. I would be pretty ashamed if that was me
  • Felt like doing Talgarth a few t