Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Levon Helm - sad news

"Dear Friends,

Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey.

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.

From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy"

http://levonhelm.com/

Was very sad to read this today. I knew Levon had been ill for a long time but still hard to hear.

If you're not aware of Levon he was the drummer in The Band as well as a solo musician

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levon_Helm

Comments

• Options
    Genius actually. sad news.
  • Options
    Very sad news.I have got a Dvd of the film The Band made directed by Martin Scorcese of their final concert.It features such luminaries as Neil Young,Paul Butterfield,Joni Mitchell,Doctor John,Eric Clapton,Bob Dylan etc.I had the pleasure of going to see Bob Dylan many years ago when the Band backed him.Levon Helm had a fantastic blues voice and coupled with Robbie Robertson's amazing guitar playing made them a top band who never got the praise they deserved.
  • Options
    The Last Waltz is a great film, possibly the best music film ever although Levon, in his autobiography "This Wheels on Fire" complains that Scorcese focused too much on Robbie and not the rest of the Band and other acts
  • Options
    My Uncle used to live in Michican and when i was over there in 1974 i took the opportunity to watch them live in Ann Arbor,i think it was.That concert has stuck with me all of my life,along with the first Who concert at the Valley.The best two live concerts i have ever seen and i have seen many,including the Isle of Wight festival back in either 1969 or 1970,i can't remember which.
  • Options
    I'm very jealous. Never saw them live as too young

Levon's Dirt Farmer and Electric Dirt albums are worth checking out too.