Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palace Rivalry

I dont understand why not so long ago all palace fans fiercely hated us now alot seem to say we dont care about Charlton? Are they saying this to annoy us or do some just not care?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    To annoy us. You can't hate a club where the fans live so far away that you don't work with them or didn't go to school with them. FACT.
  • Options
    Their rivalry with Brighton is stupid
  • Options
    Welcome JBA!

Nice first thread........

• Options
    I didn't see them not caring when we relegated them a few years ago.... :)
  • Options
    Your just a small team from brighton...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This is what wikipedia says about their rivalries.
    Brighton rivalryPalace and Brighton are over 40 miles apart and their rivalry did not develop until Palace's relegation to the Third Division in 1974. The clubs had two of the division's biggest followings, communications between Croydon and Brighton were good and many fans were keen to travel to an away fixture. The rivalry reached a climax when the two teams were drawn together in the First Round of the FA Cup in 1976. The first game took place on 20 November at the Goldstone Ground, and Rachid Harkouk came off the bench to score a stunning equaliser and take the match to a replay after a 2–2 draw. Back at Selhurst Park the replay ended up 1–1, with Rachid Harkouk scoring the goal. This meant a second replay being held at Stamford Bridge. The second and final replay ended 1–0 to Palace, with Phil Holder grabbing the only goal but only after a disputed Brian Horton penalty miss. Horton had scored with his first attempt, but the referee ordered the kick to be retaken, due to a Palace player encroaching on the box, which he missed. Brighton supporters and Brighton manager Alan Mullery were understandably outraged, with Palace fans not surprisingly jubilant. Alan Mullery disparaged Palace fans, an act never forgotten by fans of that time, and made his appointment as manager a few years later all the more surprising. However, the two did not play in a league encounter between 1988 and 2002, leading to a lull in the rivalry, and Palace fans turning their attentions to neighbours Millwall during the 1990s. However, the return of Brighton to the second tier saw Brighton lose to Palace 5–0 in a memorable game with Andrew Johnson scoring a hat-trick. Brighton gained revenge in 2005 with a 1–0 win at Selhurst Park, however, a month later at the Withdean, Palace twice came from behind, with Dougie Freedman scoring his 100th goal and Jobi McAnuff scoring in the last minute to win the game 3–2. On Brighton's return to the championship on 2011–12, Palace again came from behind to win 3–1 with three goals in the final ten minutes. This game took place at the new Amex Stadium and represented Brighton's first league defeat at its new venue. [6]

[edit] Millwall rivalryThe nearest professional club to Palace (6 miles away), Millwall has also been a long standing rival since the 1950s. Because of the close proximity many players have also moved between the clubs, for example Derek Possee, Anton Otulakowski, Chris Armstrong, Andy Roberts, Phil Barber, Jamie Moralee, Bobby Bowry, Darren Ward, Tony Craig, Carl Veart, David Martin, Lewis Grabban, Ricky Newman and Matthew Lawrence. [7]

[edit] Charlton Athletic rivalryAs the next nearest professional club to Palace, has developed a rivalry with Palace due to ground sharing at Selhurst Park in the late 80's and the close proximity of the clubs. This rivalry was then increased when at the end of the 2004/05 season, Palace was relegated from the Premiership after failing to beat Charlton.

[edit] UltrasIn recent years, a group of Palace fans have founded an ultras group at the club known as the Holmesdale Fanatics[8] to improve the atmosphere at Selhurst Park.
  • Options
    I don't think they ever said we were their rivals. We said they were ours after sharing their shyte hole. They then reacted to this.

However, it is hard to keep a rivalry going when you don't play each other.

And are you actually just trying to find something to compalin about this week?
  • Options
    I don't like the club.
    The "ultras" and their flares, the cheerleaders, that American (AMERICAN, FFS!) eagle they chuck about the place. Its disgusting.
  • Options
    Kid Jensen, vertical stripes and just about every fan of theirs is a tosser. What's to like?
  • Options
    Kid Jensen, vertical stripes and just about every fan of theirs is a tosser. What's to like?
    Rhoys Wiggins and Chris Powell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whether some hate us and some dont I hate them and I dont know one Charlton fan that dont hate them
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic rivalryAs the next nearest professional club to Palace, has developed a rivalry with Palace due to ground sharing at Selhurst Park in the late 80's and the close proximity of the clubs.
    This rivalry was then increased when at the end of the 2004/05 season, Palace was relegated from the Premiership after failing to beat Charlton.

I love reading this last sentance!!
  • Options
    Shouldnt that be Holmesdale Fanatics in a pub far far away from Charlton before Charlton away? And as for the first clip, wow fanatical support, you could hear the unrivaled passion throughout there must have been, well literally dozens of them, very intimidating!

Altogether now Number one in north sussex/surrey, north sussex/surrey's number one, and you know its true, hold on we forgot Crawley so its number two...wooah whooa whooahhhh
  • Options
    *yawn*

Palarse, here we go again. Could not give a toss.

We need to restore some pride at the Toolbox - that's one of the most important things for next season when it comes to rivalries.
  • Options
    I do
    Whether some hate us and some dont I hate them and I dont know one Charlton fan that dont hate them
    I don't hate them (except when we play them , same as any team). I only hate Millwall, Crystal P are irrelevent.
  • Options
    I don't hate them (except when we play them , same as any team). I only hate Millwall, Crystal P are irrelevent.
    agreed the word hate should only be reserved for the scum
  • Options
    Thing is Palace don't really have an identity. London club......don't make me laugh. Means they have a serious inferiority complex and chip on their shoulder. Hate us because we have a history and unlike them other fans quite like us or at least have an opinion about us. Horrible football club.
  • Options
    Palace don't care about us. They just get their biggest attendances when they play us and NEVER stop talking about us. apart from that i can see their point....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did hate them although they're becoming a laughing stock throughout London and the rest of the country now with the ultras, The Edgar Davids signings, The making out they're something off the pitch after slapping a few Millwall shirters and kids with cafc shirts on.
  • Options
    Did hate them although they're becoming a laughing stock throughout London and the rest of the country now with the ultras, The Edgar Davids signings, The making out they're something off the pitch after slapping a few Millwall shirters and kids with cafc shirts on.
    You forgot THAT Groupon advert
  • Options
    Here we go again...they'll spend all season saying they don't care, probably while listing who they hate more.

Me personally I can't wait to beat them next season and we owe Millwall as well after the 4 nil. Would be good to play West Ham as well.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTu_irW2jwg

00:12, end of.
    about 6 singers with nigel-style gelled up hair. File under Croydon wnkers.
  • Options
    Could go on for days, The eagle, Simon Jordan, The copying of songs from Sister Act...
  • Options
    I hate Palace, partly because I go to school and live very near Croydon. Also there just a s*** club !
  • Options
    Crystal who??
  • Options
    They really bring out the worst in me.
    I need to get over it.
    I hate them more than Millwall though - I can't help it.
  • Options
    its millwall who i hate,regarding palace i think their borderline fixation on us as seen by the weirdos posting do you hate charlton weekly on their boards tells you all you need to no,creepy club who i love beating but its not millwall
  • Options
    oh and the poster who started this a palace fan says it all.