Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marvel's Avengers Assemble

edited April 2012 in Not Sports Related
Hype going into overdrive Stateside and World Premiere received critical acclaim last night. Having not read many Marvel comic series' as a kid had not got my excitement levels up until recently when I saw Thor and Captain America. Now can't wait for the IMAX 3D experience in just 2 weeks time.

Anyone else's excitement levels peaking for this movie?

Comments

• Options
    I was in a meeting with a Marvel exec just before Iron Man 2 came out. She said "make no bones about it, we make movies to sell toys," and ever since then I've been non-plussed by their conveyor belt of toy adverts!

That said I did enjoy Thor, and Iron Man was great. I have ticket for this one tomorrow but don't think I can go. If it was Prometheus, I'd be there without fail!!

• Options
    Marvel doesn't make movies to sell toys. Two decades ago, Marvel Comics became a business enterprise more focused on earning revenue from licensing fees rather than the production of creative content. The business model was not tailored to the company's strengths. After Ronald Perelman pillaged the company, its equity was trading at absurdly low levels as few had any confidence it could recover.

The only investment regret I have is not going with what I knew to be true -- that Marvel has an incredible inventory of creative content (second only to that claimed by the enterprise's current owner, Disney) and would recover.

Now, rather than license films to other studios and trying to make money off of derivative licensing agreements on toys and other tie ins (whilst having awful films made of staple characters like the Punisher and Daredevil), Marvel has its own studio and mints money off the films.

Make no bones about it, Marvel makes films to make bank. Before Marvel launched its own studio, Sam Raimi's trilogy of Spiderman movies grossed over US$1 billion worldwide.

All that aside, very excited about the release of the film. Have greatly enjoyed going back to comic books I loved as a kid with my children. The Spiderman movies, the Iron Man movies, Captain America, and Thor were terrific.
  • Options
    I'm excited.

Loved Iron man, Thor and Captain America. The hulk films were crap and now we are seeing a third hulk.

Unsure how Samuel L Jackson will portray nick fury as we have only seen snippets so far.

As for Scarlett johansson... She is a Very Yummy Mummy
  • Options
    That's fascinating stuff CPA. Although I would like to reiterate that's what she told us!! But whether it's toy promotion or Box Office revenue they are chasing, the likes of Iron Man 2 and Cap America were so slapdash I've definitely become a little cynical about Avengers.
  • Options
    Cap America had what people who dont follow the comics needed.

I'd say no it wasn't as good as the graphic novels but in its own right was enjoyable.
  • Options
    I am a major comic book nerd, so frankly this summer is looking like nirvana. Batman, Avengers, Spider-Man, Superman and of course our very own super-hero Chris Powell, the Promotion Man.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff, the first job I got in graphics was in 1972 working for Marvel in the UK.
    I was employed to alter the artwork shipped over from the USA on 'artboards'. I used to spend all day's 'inking in' with rapidographic pens, and making up adverts for specials, and certain words. Interesting job, I got bored of course, and left on a Thursday, and they bounced my final pay cheque , which I have 'somewhere' from the Bank of Boston. total weekly pay £50. They were based in Holborn, and the company was called Transatlantic publications.
  • Options
    Sam Jackson has sleepwalked through his career for so long now I can't take him seriously as Fury! Rest of the cast is spot on though.

Ken - that job sounded awesome. There's plenty of people who'd do it for 50 quid a week even today!
  • Options
    Turns out I have a ticket for a screening of Avengers tonight (I can't go). You'd need to collect at 5.30pm, Leicester Sq. drop me a message if you're interested.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The premiere is this Wednesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The FDA screening is tonight at Vue. Starts at 6.30pm.
  • Options
    Turns out I have a ticket for a screening of Avengers tonight (I can't go). You'd need to collect at 5.30pm, Leicester Sq. drop me a message if you're interested.
    Unbelievably tempting and for that reason (and i cant afford to travel up to London midweek at a price of about £30.00 return)... I'm out
  • Options
    Why's the Vision not in it? Always my favourite Avenger.

What superpowers would people like? I'd like to be able to fire lasers out of my bum. I'd call myself the Moon and wear a skintight white suit with a laser flap which would be intimidating in itself. Wouldn't want to end up in jail in that clobber though.

• Options
    Why's the Vision not in it? Always my favourite Avenger.

What superpowers would people like? I'd like to be able to fire lasers out of my bum. I'd call myself the Moon and wear a skintight white suit with a laser flap which would be intimidating in itself. Wouldn't want to end up in jail in that clobber though.

Cracked me up, thank you.

As to slapdash films, you'd have to have suffered through what Marvel used to allow to be made. If the most recent Captain America wasn't your cup of tea, try J.D. Salinger's son as Cap (don't do it, the film is not watchable and can't even be enjoyed ironically). Not into the Iron Man sequel? How about Dolph Lundgren as the Punisher. Or Ben Affleck as Daredevil.

And the definition of slapdash is the Fantastic Four film made by Roger Corman that allowed Constantin Film Production to maintain its option and eventually make the terrible Fantastic Four films featuring Jessica Alba, Ioan Gruffudd, and Captain America.

Marvel's licensing of film rights used to lead to debacles that mortally wounded franchises -- now the movies substantially augment the value of the property.

That said, I'm resigned to The Avengers being bad, but look forward to seeing it anyway... because it cannot be Roger Corman/Dolph Lundgren/Nic Cage/Jennifer Garner bad.
  • Options
    To be fair I'll watch anything with Jessica Alba in. Chick flicks, shite films I don't care... She is my future wife... Should my engagement not go to plan.
  • Options
    Really disappointed that ed norton was binned off for this. Money dispute apparently.
  • Options
    I read that Norton isn't too much fun to work with. Has a tendency to want to do things his way. Doesn't work too well in a big budget environment I would imagine!
  • Options
    Mark Ruffalo is an ace actor, so interested to see what he does in this role. Have read he's the show stealer.
  • Options
    Saw this tonight - very good. Ruffalo does indeed steal the show. At least, the CGI Hulk helps him a great deal. "Puny god!"
  • Options
    Saw it last night IMAX 3D, what a blast! They've at last got the Hulk right and was pleasantly surprised that there were as many lol moments, whilst blending it with edge of your seat action. Just a pity it's too violent for my 5 and 8 year olds to watch quite yet, as it should be principally a kids flick. Selfishly not complaining too much though, as the carnage simply added to the intensity. Will see again before it leaves the cinemas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched it yesterday at the O2, loved it. Echo the thoughts that Ruffalo as the Hulk steals the show...