Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goodbye Horse

edited April 2012 in General Charlton
Where does this song come from?

Comments

• Where does this song come from?
    North Upper ;0)

• isnt it about a copper that fell off his horse at one of our games?

long before my time but i love the song. one of 'ours'.
  • edited April 2012
    Gypsies used to let their horses graze at the Valley when it was vacant. When we come back they had to clear out
  • got a feeling it was West Ham away although I stand to be corrected
  • Much as I'd like to connect it to some event at the Valley, the first time I heard/sang it it was in circumstances entirely unconnected with Charlton. (A very heavy stag night many, many years ago).

• It's an old song iirc, unrelated to Charlton but from a Charlton viewpoint:

charltonlife.com/discussion/9067/goodbye-horse-origins

• Anyone remember the version at Bolton in the Cup ?
  • And you also have the Splodgenessabounds version , i do believe the group where local to the charlton area .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCopDhsl4BM
  • Definitely Brighton away in the park near the Goldstone
  • Definitely Brighton away in the park near the Goldstone
    Thats my memory of it.

• Sponsored links:

• It was when a copper fell of a horse at Upton Park around 1988
  • It was when a copper fell of a horse at Upton Park around 1988
    definitely not ... way too late ... see link in I_Was_Floyd post
  • DA9 is right. March 1975 after a late Micky Kelly equaliser. Remember it being sung for first time on coach home.
  • The West Ham version of it was that it was a the perfect song for when the horse bolted riderless outside the ground to our left in the away end, 1-3, Jim Melrose 9 second goal game????
  • The West Ham version of it was that it was a the perfect song for when the horse bolted riderless outside the ground to our left in the away end, 1-3, Jim Melrose 9 second goal game????
    yep
  • What year was VFR first sung?
    I would say at Selhurst Park, when we were desperate to return. So 1986 ?
  • I can't help thinking that Goodbye Horse has connections to WW1. Sure I heard that somewhere before. Well not that sure actually.
  • Will be at Carlisle in more way than one ;)
    After a visit to the city ground
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember it being sung in bar at HT at Kenilworth Rd in1970s when we lost 7-1.
  • agree with last post.....def 70s.....during my time on Lewis coaches
  • dont even think that mull of kintyre had been written then
  • im sure it was when we were at selhurst awaiting our return home
  • mull of kintyre song was xmas 1977, so forrest would have started it 78ish
  • from wiki:

The song was adopted soon after release by fans of several popular football clubs in the United Kingdom and is still played before and sung during games, most notably since the 1970s by fans of Nottingham Forest F.C.; the song's lyrics were adapted for the now firmly established crowd favourite 'City Ground'. The adapted lyrics read:
    "City Ground, Oh mist rolling in from the Trent, my desire, is always to be here, oh City Ground"
  • Was being sung regularly in the mid 70`s, especially by the mob in the right side Covered End. Used to love going to away games and singing it for ages during games and the confused and angry home fans not having a clue what we were on about. After about 20 minutes of this song the home fans were frothing at the mouth lol
  • TBH I don't remember singing VFR at Selhurst. The one that always sticks in my mind as being sung with the most passion (though slightly boring) was "We play all our games away"
  • Thought this thread was about "Goodbye Horse"
  • I can't help thinking that Goodbye Horse has connections to WW1. Sure I heard that somewhere before. Well not that sure actually. </blo

There might be something in the WW1 connection. There is a memorial to the 58th London Division at Chipilly on the Somme which consists of a statue of a soldier kissing his mortally wounded horse goodbye.