Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Orlando, USA

Comments

• Oh, I forgot to say, don't forget to get your ESTA beforehand.
  • Stayed here a couple of times (have family in florida), pretty decent apartments, swimming pools, on-site bar/restaurant, supermarket, shuttles to parks, outlet shops next door. Pretty good value for money.
    http://www.lbvorlandoresort.com/

Always book my car when visiting the states from http://www.usrentacar.co.uk never had any issues with collection etc.
  • Cray, I took about 920 dollars which was plenty for 2 weeks even though we self catered for the first week. No doubt you know this already but don't change your sterling up at the airport as the exchange rates are a rip off. Probably easier and cheaper booking your park tickets online ( we bought ours on the day and suffered an hours wait for universal tickets in 30 degree heat which is why we bought their 2 day park deal to save queuing for entry to universal studios ). Defo worth doing Kennedy just for the bus tour which takes you round the launch sites and drops you off at each site where you can take as much time as you like before hopping on another bus to next site. And it Is also a protected wildlife nature reserve so you get to see the odd wild gator, bald eagle, manatee etc. We took in st. Pete beach in Tampa which is about an hour and a half away and also well worth visiting. There is so much to do here believe me you won't be bored.
  • P.S definitely get a place with a decent pool. A must have when you are chilling out at the hotel/villa.
  • If you've got time, which is always a struggle over there, try an airboat ride. Boggy Creek is a good one.

So much to do so little time.
  • hi i have a villa in davenport 15 mins disney, 30 ins int drive.

i can do special offers for charlton fans.

please vistit my website www.jordanfloridavillas.co.uk for more info
  • Alamo best for a car, you must have a car for this holiday. I would suggest you buy tickets out there from official outlets. You will find it very difficult to get a deal, they even fingerprint you now to prevent people selling on their tickets. Hotels come in a wide range of prices but most are good as US standards are high.
    Disney tickets can offer good value and cover the 2 water parks Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Typhoon Lagoon is a great day out and has only just reopened after refurb. Don't let them convince you you need one day per park, you can do Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot in one day using the monorail between the 3. Finish at Epcot in the evening and ook a meal at the English pub.
    Universal is a great place, you might want to allow more than a day for both parks.
    Make sure you go to Sea World, Busch Gardens ( hours drive to Tampa ). Eat at the Irish bar in Disney Village, shop at the outlets on Vineland and spend a night in Old Town.
    Great place , we just got back. We booked ours during Florida spring break, so what do I know...
  • Whatever happened to Boardwalk and Baseball?
  • Masicat. We bought tickets from an "unofficial" outlet paid half the price and had no problems.

Check the internet for Universal tickets can get some good deals before you go.

Last time we went I did the money change online and got a much better rate.
  • If you can afford it & have the time really recommend discovery cove (swim with the dolphins) we had a fantastic day & they throw in a free day at Sea world. Have alook at the web site.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think 10 days is going to be enough :-|...

It sounds like DIY is the better option over package deals!
  • I don't think 10 days is going to be enough :-|...

United airlines are good for flights, wer'e looking at flying into New York the taking the train to Orlando.
  • Kennedy Space Center
    Busch Gardens
    Sea World
    Universal
    Typhoon Lagoon

None of us, including kids actually didn't much care for the Disney stuff but guess you gotta do 'em, so buy the unofficial guide to Disney and pre-plan as some days are better than others for different things.

Quite a few pitfalls including really crap dirty hotels on International Drive. Car hire can be dodgy so take photos of before and after. Pick pockets are very skilled at knowing where the tourists are likely to be caught unawares.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't think 10 days is going to be enough :-|...

United airlines are good for flights, wer'e looking at flying into New York the taking the train to Orlando.
    The worst flight we had was with UA. Maybe just our bad luck.

Virgin or BA are the only direct flights from the UK to Orlando but generally cost a bit more but top class.

Last year flew into Tampa and back from Orlando which was ok.

As you haven't been before Cray get a satnav either before you go or hire one from the car people, absolute godsend. I bought an SD card from Garmin (£49 I think) and covers the whole of North America.

Never had any problems with car hire or crime. Not saying it can't happen but it's no different to going on holiday anywhere in the world.
  • Ok the story so far...

• Book a flight
    • Book accommodation
    • Book a car
    • Book park tickets
    • Get spending money
    • Plan days
    • Research best restuarents

Damn...... All this while I cheer the reds on to the home straight...
  • Ok the story so far...

• Book a flight
    • Book accommodation
    • Book a car
    • Book park tickets
    • Get spending money
    • Plan days

• O yea. Discovery cove is a relaxing day that your going to need.

Whether you swim with dolphins or not. It's a pure chill out day and if i remember correctly drinks/food are free all day

Breakfast and lunch and then snacks like crisps/bisquits don't cost a thing once your in there
  • MORE?
    Go to the blues bar (Disney Village). Drive along the beach at Daytona. Play mini golf. Play 18 holes at Celebration. Go to Disney Quest.
  • Ok the story so far...

• Book a flight
    • Book accommodation
    • Book a car
    • Book park tickets
    • Get spending money
    • Plan days

For car hire Alamo throw in a Garmin Sat Nav for free and they are handy. Book online and you just walk out to the car park, pick a car and away you go.
    Restaurants - Perkins are good value and have a good range of food, Red Lobster if you like seafood, Olive Garden for Italian food.
    Crazy Golf is always a good laugh out there too, Pirates Cove and Congo River are two of the popular ones.
    Get your dollars online as the rates seem to be much better.
  • I enjoyed the the Space centre but I'm a child of the '60s. It was almost empty compared to the fun parks which I find a bit sad.
    Also did an air boat ride around the St Johns river, we picked one off the beaten track, I thought that was worth the effort.
    Florida has some really stunning wildlife its worth getting away from the parks & hordes and seeing the real world. You dont get to see wild manatees very often, amazing animals.
    Loved the place but thought the food was poor, size over quality imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• :-|

Teletext holidays are coming out best for flight+motel.. £555 for flight + motel seems to be the best out there, how ever if I do it 2 weeks from now it's coming in much cheaper so I may leave it to the last minute!
  • :-|

Teletext holidays are coming out best for flight+motel.. £555 for flight + motel seems to be the best out there, how ever if I do it 2 weeks from now it's coming in much cheaper so I may leave it to the last minute!
    If it's a choice and you can do the 14 days DO IT!!!!!!

• Kissimee Old Town is well worth a look round - they have a website. Epcot at night for the firework display on the lagoon and also worth eating there in the various 'Countries' dotted around the lagoon, but I wouldn't expect much of the English - unless it's changed from the time we were there, but the Mexican, Chinese and French were really good. Worth booking them earlier in the day if you want to eat before the parade/fireworks.

Usually plenty of music events on in a few venues too.

• Right it's officially time to start looking for some cheap flights!!!

Im hoping I can beat £555!!

Not sure about Epcot to be honest.
  • Right it's officially time to start looking for some cheap flights!!!

Im hoping I can beat £555!!

Not sure about Epcot to be honest.
    If you're on a 10 day trip don't bother with Epcot. We went the first time, not been back since.

There are so many better parks to visit.

• Blimey reading this thread brings back some great memories, think I'll take another trip out there sometime soon!
  • A quick update..

£536 pp for 10 nights at a 3 star hotel (room only) and a flight.

Is that a good deal? Ideally I would like a villa for us, but only 2 of us.

Doing the flight individually is coming out quite expensive...
  • A quick update..

£536 pp for 10 nights at a 3 star hotel (room only) and a flight.

Is that a good deal? Ideally I would like a villa for us, but only 2 of us.

Doing the flight individually is coming out quite expensive...
    Not to sad.

Can they quote you for a car as well?

• @southamptonaddick

I will have to check mate. I'm not to sure if to run the risk of leaving it late and get a last minute deal.

Ideally be nice if I could get the car/holiday/flight/tickets all in one hit.
  • Have been to Orlando 3 times in last 4 years. Try to get cheap flights and book into a nice condo if u can. I recommend the Fountains on International Drive, I got a huge luxury apartment for about 300 quid a week. You won't be disappointed so suggest you google this one.