Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

south of France, Perpignan area

2»

Comments

• Options
    razil said:

Finally made it, flew crying air to perpignan this morning, its blinking 'ot

We've arrived back yesterday in a bit of a hurry cos, after 4 weeks, we'd had too much of the heat and my body thermostat literally gave up. We'd done Carcassonne and the Cathar castles, just above where you are. Stay on the coast is our advice at the mo until this heat wave has passed, it's murderous inland and the health warnings are flying about.

• Options
    Lived near Carcassonne for two years, some years ago. Depends whether you want to stay on coast or go in-land a bit (1 hour+) I personally don't think that part of the French coast is that brilliant. In-land you have loads of amazing villages/towns with amazing Cathar (look it up) castles/fortresses. Around this area you have the Gorge Du Galamus,Rennes Le Chateau, Rennes Les Bains, and closer to Carcassonne, the Canal Du Midi. A truly spectacular area, visually quite rugged. however also one for me that had a slightly spooky/depressive edge to it too
  • Options
    Just returned from a 10 day stay in sainte maxime. Had a wonderful time beautiful place with wonderful people and food. The weather at the minute down there is scorching, too hot at times, driving back yesterday, thank god the cars got air con
  • Options
    Back here again tonight, any recommends just over the border? Just leaving Avignon
  • Options
  • Options
    razil said:

Back here again tonight, any recommends just over the border? Just leaving Avignon

I'm not sure which way you are heading - but I recommend Arles (more or less to the south of Avignon) and further south-westish the Languedoc. Beziers/Carcassone are pretty cities, similarish to Avignon.
  • Options
    Southwest, did carcassonne last time, heading for a border village french side of pyrenees
  • Options
    Collioure is very pretty, right on the border at the coast
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm planning a trip away to the South of France in August. We're probably going to use the Provence region as a base and will be away for ten days.

Now, here's a football question for you all…as I'll be missing a couple of Charlton fixtures it's only fair we take in some football in the South of France. The question is, which game do we go to? Here are the fixtures while we're away:

Saturday 16th August fixtures

Ligue 1

Marseille v Montpellier
    Monaco v Lorient
    Toulouse v Lyon

Saturday 23rd August fixtures

Ligue 1

Montpellier v Metz
    Nice v Bordeaux

I could probably add Monaco to that list but can't find their fixtures anywhere.

OR

Do we drive across the border to Turin and catch a Juve game?

Has anyone been to any of these grounds? Which one is an absolute must? I'm assuming Marseilles out of the French teams but is it a bit rowdy there? Is it safe or does it really depend on who they're playing?

Other non-football suggestions of places to go and things to do / see are also welcome. Also looking for a decent camp site if anyone knows of any.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    If you are going to Marseille, then go to a small fishing village called Cassis, which is very nice.
    Also, the drive from Provence to Italy is a LOOONG drive - even though it looks close on the map.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

If you are going to Marseille, then go to a small fishing village called Cassis, which is very nice.
    Also, the drive from Provence to Italy is a LOOONG drive - even though it looks close on the map.

Cheers. Just looked into the drive! Might be giving that one a miss for another time!
  • Options

I'm planning a trip away to the South of France in August. We're probably going to use the Provence region as a base and will be away for ten days.

Now, here's a football question for you all…as I'll be missing a couple of Charlton fixtures it's only fair we take in some football in the South of France. The question is, which game do we go to? Here are the fixtures while we're away:

Ligue 1

Marseille v Montpellier
    Monaco v Lorient
    Toulouse v Lyon

Ligue 1

Montpellier v Metz
    Nice v Bordeaux

I could probably add Monaco to that list but can't find their fixtures anywhere.

OR

Has anyone been to any of these grounds? Which one is an absolute must? I'm assuming Marseilles out of the French teams but is it a bit rowdy there? Is it safe or does it really depend on who they're playing?

Other non-football suggestions of places to go and things to do / see are also welcome. Also looking for a decent camp site if anyone knows of any.

I'm not sure on journey times or anything from where you are, but did the Delle Alpi for Juve v Lazio a few years back now. I don't know if every game is like that but the atmosphere was electric as soon as we walked down to our seats. Turin is also a beautiful city, especially down by the river.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Ligue 1

Marseille v Montpellier
    Monaco v Lorient
    Toulouse v Lyon

Ligue 1

Montpellier v Metz
    Nice v Bordeaux

OR

I'm not sure on journey times or anything from where you are, but did the Delle Alpi for Juve v Lazio a few years back now. I don't know if every game is like that but the atmosphere was electric as soon as we walked down to our seats. Turin is also a beautiful city, especially down by the river.
    I think Turin might just be out of the question this time around as it's better further on than we'd like. Genoa however….

Thanks for the tip though!
  • Options

Cassis is very pleasant with it's beach, little harbour and quayside cafes.
    I wouldn't exactly call it a small fishing village, but it's exactly how you'd imagine a colourful seaside town in Provence looks.

Now Marseille - around the Old Port, it's touristy with boats and yachts bobbing around.
    But go a few streets deep and it can be a rough old town, in fact a dirty great city with lots of crime and racial tensions.

Imagine Liverpool and Middlesbrough combined - but every day is a sunny day.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Cassis is very pleasant with it's beach, little harbour and quayside cafes.
    I wouldn't exactly call it a small fishing village, but it's exactly how you'd imagine a colourful seaside town in Provence looks.

Now Marseille - around the Old Port, it's touristy with boats and yachts bobbing around.
    But go a few streets deep and it can be a rough old town, in fact a dirty great city with lots of crime and racial tensions.

Imagine Liverpool and Middlesbrough combined - but every day is a sunny day.

I can quite believe that Cassis has turned into a town - it was certainly a village when i was last there - many years ago !

Talking of Marseille and your comments re racial tension, i was driving down the motorway towards Marseille one year to notice that some wag had spray paint crossed out the signpost for Marseille and renamed it Arabe.