Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holiday to Thailand

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Just wondering if anyone has any info that will help me on my holiday.
It is the first time I'm going over that way of the world.
Starting off in Bangkok for few nights then heading down to koh samui and across to krabi.
Thankfully I'm back for last game of the season...

Comments

• Options
    I spent 4 weeks travelling there, and its an incredible place! You'll love it! The koh san road is the main hub of tourist activity in Bangkok, and if your looking for nightlife with fellow travellers thats where you'll find it. While there, we also got a tuk tuk driver to take us away from the Koh san road and explore the nearby culture, which I really recommend doing.

I only spent one night on Koh samui, and then travelled across to Koh Pangan and Ko tao. Koh Pangan is obviosuly the home of the full moon party, and the southern tip of the island, around hat rin, is just constant parties, but if your looking for something more tranquil, the north of the island is very peaceful, with some stunning scenery. Ko Tao is a much more peaceful island, and if your looking to scuba dive or snorkell, I recommend taking a trip from here as its excellent.

I didnt actually go over to Krabi or around there, but from friends that did Ko Phi Phi is a must.

Hope that helps, I am seriosuly jealous!
  • Options
    What sort of holiday are you looking for? What's most important: beaches, scenery, nightlife, culture or a bit of everything?

And are you staying in style or backpacking? And for how long?

Let us know and I'll certainly give you some advice. Looks like you won't be staying at my place as Phuket's not on your list.
  • Options
    Lived in BK and Pattaya for 3 years. thailand is a great place for a 2/3 resort hol.

Loved Krabi (dont fly there in the monsoon !!) its truely stunning.

Ko Samuai was great 20 years back, much more built up now, but a great place to relax.
  • Options
    Do not under any circumstances get a tuk-tuk in Bangkok. 95% are pure scam artists, stick to the pink metered cabs if you need to get about.
  • Options
    Barry at Flight Centre lived there for several years doing diving instruction. He has recently returned to UK as work became scarce in Thailand. He is a mine of information and, more importantly, will go out of his way to help, advise and arrange anything and everything, so he may be helpful to you. barry.magee@flightcentre.co.uk
  • Options
    Advice?

Be aware of ladies playing pool.
  • Options

Ko Samuai was great 20 years back, much more built up now, but a great place to relax.
    This. Was great then, shit hole now.
  • Options
    Cheers for all your advice, me and my mate r going (argyle fan) plus wives so staying in hotels etc which have already been booked. Looki
  • Options
    Looking to relax, chill out, c some sights and experience the nightlife.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cabbie8 Thailand has everything for all people on all budgets. I'm not sure that what Addickforlife said is entirely accurate. The Khao San Road in Bangkok area is popular with backpackers but is not the center of tourism in the capital - Sukhumvit, Silom, Siam and Chidlom are where the majority of tourists now stay and have great access to the malls, nightlife and transport network. Also take a Tuk Tuk once for the experience but taxis are cheaper, generally safer and of course have air con - although depending on where your hotel is the Sky Train and MRT are often your best bets. So much to do and see in BKK, if you want some specific advice on restaurants, bars, pubs, tourists sites etc just ask/send a message.

Koh Samui has become built up in the last decade - in places. Chaweng and Lamai are full of hotels, western restaurants and bars etc, which is fine and often good on a holiday but the charm of old Samui can still be found within 10-20 mins in a taxi - Taling Ngam, Nathon and Mae Nam are quite peaceful with good beaches for the day.

Krabi is beautiful, get away from the hotel and hire a fishermans boat for the day and they'll take you to wonderful islands off shore like you see in the postcards, also amazing seafood.

One cautionary note there have been a lot of reports over the last few weeks about very long and timely queues in the immigration hall, sometimes up to two hours.

As I said if you want specific details then feel free to last. You are in for a great holiday.
  • Options
    Ask not last
  • Options
    Yes sorry I only gave from my experience, which is limited to only a few places and a couple of weeks, so I would take Bangkok Dave's advice over mine anyway! One area I'm sure we both agree on though is that your in for a great time though, it's an amazing place. So have a good one!
  • Options
    Some nice restaurants on Samui:
    The Cliff
    Barracuda
    Dr Frogs.

Krabi nice - didnt rate PhiPhi to be honest.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, looking forward to it now.
    Gutted missing 3 games however seen as though I'm going
    With an argyle fan it might not b his best trip if things go wrong with them in league2.
  • Options
    Advice?

Be aware of ladies playing pool.
    Why ? Too many balls in the pockets ?
  • Options
    Was never ripped off by a tuk-tuk in Bangkok (or never felt so), but beware friendly people along the road to key sites, such as the Grand Palace or the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. They tell you wherever you're going is closed for the the week, and they can help get you to an alternative site. Usually, they're getting backhanders from the "alternative site", and where you're going isn't closed..

And, of course, Patpong Market.

If you get time, there are wonderful rice barge trips up the river to Ayothaya - the ancient captial, which is well worth a trip! Massive bloody cockroaches everywhere, mind!
  • Options
    Kanchanaburi and The Bridge Over The River Kwai is a good day out from Bangkok (overnight even better as there is a great National Park close by, Erawan Falls). But don't get taken in by the Tiger Temple.

Samui is OK and the northern beaches are less spoilt than Chaweng and Lamai and are more laid back but for nightife the other two are better.

Krabi is fine, but avoid Krabi Town. Ao Nang is a decent enough place to base yourself with plenty of bars and restaurants and Railey Beach close by. Good tours of nearby islands available. Phi Phi is only recommended to the young or young at heart. The main area is full of drunk backpackers.

Good beaches to relax in everywhere you have mentioned except Bangkok, where relaxation is not the order of the day but enjoy the varied nightlife.
  • Options
    Never been.
  • Options
    The Beach ruined Koh Phi Phi.

Loved Krabi and Railay. Not been for about 13 years now mind you. sigh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trip Advisor - Bangkok Forum / Koh Samui / Krabi forums are good places to look at - plenty of travel advice and also updates on the most recent scams to avoid - from experience even knowing about the scams its sometimes difficult to avoid - but being prepared in advance helps. 3 days in Bangkok won't be enough - obvious tourist sites - Grand Palace et al, but also plenty of quiet things to do. Not sure if your staying near the River - last year we went on a lovely evening boat trip - with meal - very good. Plenty of markets. Always make sure taxi's use the meter - if they say it's broken, get out and get the next one. Not been to Koh Samui - yet - off there myself in a few months - so can't wait. Went to Krabi approx 10 years ago - like previous poster found the hiring of fisherman to go round the many islands very good - didn't do Phi Phi either, as understand since the 'Beach' its not so nice.

Love Thailand, you'll have a great time whatever you find to do!
  • Options
    It wasn't really the film 'The Beach' that ruined Phi Phi but the boxing day tsunami, which swept across the island across one bay and out the opposite main bay. In a quest to rebuild hotels and guesthouses were build without regulations in some areas plus many locals were scared to go back and so sold their land to hotel groups - something they had previously refused to do. Still worth it for a day trip from Krabi though. Agree with Bangkokaddick about Kanchanaburi, excellent place for a day/two day trip to see something different.
  • Options
    Kanchanaburi - I did a three day/two night trip staying on a floating hotel on the River Kwai itself, the advantages of a mini-tour are that you get to see much more than a one day tour - obviously - so Erawan Falls and the Death Railway can be experienced properly. With a one day tour you won't see much more than the bridge on the River Kwai itselfand maybe a couple of the local museums, none of which are that good. If you do a multiple day tour I recommend getting to the Hellfire Museum, which is some way north of Kanchanaburi there you can walk along a short section of the railway track that has been re-laid, it's moving and yet stunningly beautiful. It's said that 69 Australian POWs were beaten to death in constructing that section of the railway and who knows how many Asians who were treated as slave labour by the Japanese.

http://www.hellfirepass.com/museum_hellfire_pass.html

Also, try and get to Chiang Mai in the north-east, a bit more popular than it once was, but a good place to hang out for a few days. I went on a jungle trek - which is to be avoided if you dislike walking and midges, but if you can suffer a bit of exercise then it's worth it for the insight into the hilltribe villages and you'll get to do a bit of rafting and elephant riding.
  • Options
    According to my wife sukkothai the old capital is nice. We spent a few days there, but I didn't venture out the khazi. Still, I lost a stone which was a bonus. Chiang Mai and chiang rai are worth a visit.
  • Options
    According to my wife suzimeatandtwoveglongtime, the weather is quite nice at the moment.
  • Options
    I hear the ladyboys are world renowned.
  • Options
    I'm considering taking an ESL job in Thailand after my year in China, anyone know of any cities/regions I should be staying away from?
  • Options
    Anyone advise best way to take money out there?
    Is it best to change up some here?
    Use credit or debit cards out there?
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Anyone advise best way to take money out there?
    Is it best to change up some here?
    Use credit or debit cards out there?
    Thanks in advance
    You can take money out easily at any ATM at relatively low commission rates and decent exchange rates.

Alternatively you can bring a chunk of cash with you and get it changed at some of the local exchange shops, where you can often find a better rate than at a commercial premises such as a bank.

Depends on what level of convenience you prefer or how fussed you are about getting the best rate.
  • Options
    I'm considering taking an ESL job in Thailand after my year in China, anyone know of any cities/regions I should be staying away from?
    My brother did ESL in Bangkok for a year, then taught SCUBA diving in Kho Tao for 6 years. Opposite ends of the spectrum, but he enjoyed both. It's pretty safe (except maybe the very south of the country check the fco website). The Thais seem to have an armed coup about three times a year, but keep it to themselves