Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Yeovil Match Report Part One

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
I was at the game last night and have written a match report. Would appreciate anyone giving me their thoughts. Had to post in two parts:

After a couple of disappointing results and below average performances it was business as usual for Charlton on a mild Tuesday night at the Valley, as they extended their lead in the automatic promotion places to 10 points with a 3-0 win over Yeovil.
A bizarre debut goal for Dany N’Guessan (signed on loan as cover for injured Johnny Jackson) was followed in the second half by a Bradley Wright-Phillips header, and a last minute tap in for Darel Russell.
It was a strong performance from the Charlton side, who for periods were dominated by five Yeovil midfielders, but to a man the side worked hard, tracked back, and defended strongly, restricting Yeovil to very few clear-cut chances.
In terms of team news, Taylor was rested and in came the powerful Leon Cort. Russell continued to keep his place alongside captain for the night Danny Hollands, and Dany N’Guessan started on the left of midfield. The rest of the team remained the same from the last game, with the back four of Solly, Cort, Morrison and Wiggins, Wagstaff on the right of midfield, and BWP and Kermogant maintaining their striking partnership.
The game started with a message of support for Fabrice Muamba, currently still in a serious condition in hospital following his cardiac arrest on Saturday, which broke into spontaneous applause, before the away side got things underway in front of a fairly sparse but noisy home crowd. Whilst there wouldn’t be long for the Charlton fans to wait to celebrate a goal, it was Yeovil who made the early pressing, as both Blizzard and Williams tested the pace of Cort at the back with some through balls. The first ran straight through to Ben Hamer with A. Williams bursting through, and the second was well mopped up by Cort, who went on to clear up anything that made its way through the midfield.
The goal came on 7 minutes in bizarre circumstances. BWP ran on to a lofted ball from Hollands, but his lob over the onrushing Walker was weak, and was cleared away for a throw on the Charlton left. From the resulting throw, N’Guessan picked it up and launched a ball into the box, which sailed over everyone and into the back of the net. Walker was no more stunned than the small pocket of travelling fans behind his goal, and in fact the Charlton fans also took a second to realise what had happened, before exploding with delight. Cue shouts of ‘Shoot!’ every time that N’Guessan received the ball for the rest of the match.
As the half wore on, it was Yeovil who continued to press. Blizzard, Upson, and Parrett (who spent time on loan with Charlton last season), had plenty of ball in the middle of the park, but both Hollands and Russell battled hard, winning challenges, closing down space, and shut out any potential opportunities. Whenever the three Yeovil midfielders did manage to break through, A. Williams up front looked disappointingly exposed, and it was easy work for Morrison and Cort.
In fact, it was Charlton themselves who gifted Yeovil their first chance, as Hamer’s poor clearance fell to Parrett, who launched forward. It was only the alertness of Solly, who once again drew praise from the crowd for his performance, that managed to prevent a chance, as his pressure forced Parrett away from goal, and the chance was eventually crowded out. Yeovil then fashioned another chance from a corner, and after a scramble in the box, the ball fell to the right-back Ayling, but his volley fell harmlessly wide.
It was on 22 minutes that Charlton created their next opportunity, again Russell the provider, as he played a long ball down the right for Wagstaff, who won a corner. Solly took, and Kermogant rose highest but headed just wide. Yeovil then continued to press forward, the extra man in the middle of midfield continuing to allow them plenty of pressure, and forced Wagstaff to concede a free-kick about 30 yards out. As Yeovil tried a routine of Williams tapping it for Parrett to run on to, Wagstaff turned from villain to hero, by rushing out from the wall and pinching the ball, but the resulting counter attack came to nothing.
The rest of the half played out with very little chances. A good spell of possession from Charlton in the final minute saw every single player touch the ball. It resulted in a cross that was hand-balled by Yann Kermogant, but the effort and willingness to keep the ball on the floor was greeted by warm applause by the Valley faithful. Yeovil made a substitution, with D’Ath replacing Williams in injury time, and then the whistle blew for half time.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out Forever!