Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Medway fails in city status bid for Diamond Jubilee

Comments

• Options
    Council leader Rodney Chambers congratulated the three new winners.

"While we were, of course, hoping Medway would gain city status, we believe the bid created a huge amount of national publicity and this has helped raise our profile and show people how much this area has to offer," he said.

"It is true to say that not only does Medway have a rich heritage, it also has a great future - its four universities, unrivalled transport links to the capital and continent and an increasingly more skilled workforce all vouch for that.

Give up Rodney, it's a dump.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So the Jills won't be renaming themselves Chatham City, then?
  • Options
    The fact that he's pointing out how easy it is to go to somewhere else speaks volumes.
  • Options
    The amount of time and money that council has wasted on this bid is a disgrace
  • Options
    Medway is a massively up and coming area but its a group of towns not a city, if they spent all the money on trying to further integrate the towns with decent travel infrastructure rather than a doomed bid to become a city, they would have a much better chance next time, as well as encouraging more business to set up in medway towns area. But they didn't and will be the same story next time 'city status' comes around again.
  • Options
    The fact that he's pointing out how easy it is to go to somewhere else speaks volumes.
    lol
  • Options
    a grotesque waste of my money, I couldn't agree with scruffle more. rochester is the only city chatham and gillingham are towns and I cant see why that should change
  • Options
    would there have been any benefits if it had been granted city status?
  • Options
    would there have been any benefits if it had been granted city status?
    As far as I know it doesn't bring any tangible benefits but does increase the profile of the place and looks good on headed notepaper.

I wonder how the citizens of St Asaphs will celebrate?
  • Options
    So the Jills won't be renaming themselves Chatham City, then?
    But perhaps Chelmsford City FC will be renaming themselves Chelmsford Town now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rochester used to have city status, but there was a mess-up by the Council when the Unitary Authority was formed and its city status was lost.
  • Options
    rochester is the only city
    Sadly Rochester is no longer a city due to an administrative error. (See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/england/1991827.stm).
  • Options
    FOUR universities?!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    rochester is the only city
    Sadly Rochester is no longer a city due to an administrative error. (See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/england/1991827.stm).
    Makes a mockery of the system, if it's really down to clerical error.
    800 years of being a cathedral city, but not now - because some 9 to 5 jobsworth forgot!

Only in Britain.
  • Options
    Well at least Luton didnt get it
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The only chance Tower Hamlets would have is if it entered to be a city in Somalia!!
  • Options
    As a founder member of the "shit i have moved to Medway what have I done society" over 14 years ago I am shocked that the area has not been granted city status. This place has everything a 19th century British city needs. The only thing missing is Typhoid !
  • Options
    And rickets

It has no benefit at all other than to make some fat prick councillor feel like he has done something of value

Oggy is right, a city has to have a cathedral Rochester has one of them therefore is a city

If it is admin (which it is) then this nonsense is a waste of money that those responsible at Medway Council should reimburse all council tax payers in Medway and personally apologise for every poor sod in civic employment that has lost a job to save money for these self serving arseclowns to play a stupid game of 'lets make a group of towns a city'

I live on the same road as someone who really pushed all this. I have a letter I will be ruining his evening delivering to him later. Like he ruined my evening when he was campaigning for votes ringing my doorbell because they could see me in the kitchen even though I told them to go away. The shagwit.

If anyone is interested I shall let you know how this tosser reacts to a spot of flash public feedback
  • Options
    I think its a bit of an urban myth that a city needs a Cathederal. This has not been helped by definitions in some dictionaries.
    However a settlement certainly does need a Royal Charter in the UK to be a city.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Throughout the past 1,000 years, the building of a cathedral was the actual definition of a city.

That was the criteria.

Ridiculously it seems to no longer apply.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't realise until i just read this that Rochester is no longer a city. Sorry to all of you who dwell in the medway towns but i have always found the majority of the place a total slum, especially Luton. The Luftwaffe could have done us a huge favour if they didn't just target the docks.
  • Options
    Luton's in Medway?
  • Options
    Luton's in Medway?
    Yep, due to an administrative error.
  • Options
    Now I'm really pissed off.
  • Options
    Yeah, but it's a different Luton but just as shit..........
  • Options
    Luton must be Anglo-Saxon for 'shithole'.
  • Options
    Didn't realise until i just read this that Rochester is no longer a city. Sorry to all of you who dwell in the medway towns but i have always found the majority of the place a total slum, especially Luton. The Luftwaffe could have done us a huge favour if they didn't just target the docks.
    Erm Woolwich, and pretty much all the area around Blackheath and Greenwich. Medway isn't always the prettiest but I'm more than happy living here compared to 95% of London. More history than you can shake a Pilgrim at, just 99% of people in the South East haven't a clue about the first settlements and amazing countryside in Medway.

• Options
    Erm Woolwich, and pretty much all the area around Blackheath and Greenwich. Medway isn't always the prettiest but I'm more than happy living here compared to 95% of London. More history than you can shake a Pilgrim at, just 99% of people in the South East haven't a clue about the first settlements and amazing countryside in Medway.

Some good Napoleonic Forts too.

But it is a s... hole.

Rochester is lucky to be sandwiched between Chatham and Strood it makes it seem a lot better than it really is.

• Options

Well, as I don't (and never have) lived in London.....................

I'm a Gravesend lad, a place also steeped in history such as pocohontas