Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Exercise Experiment

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'll use that for cycling but I use Nike app for running at the moment.
  • Options
    Just seen 11st 5lbs is the healthy weight for my size which is where Solly and Rhoys are according to the O.S
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Really struggling at the moment to get the weight down I started doing some bigger weights as I couldn't seem to shift the last few lbs to get to my 11st 5lb goal and thought some toning might work... and now all i wanna do is eat to feed the muscles and I appear to be developing an addiction to doing bigger weights...

Only problem is Des and Troy are constantly hungry these days.
  • Options
    I'm no expert on this but you need to be careful with weights. Depending on exactly what excercises you are doing, what weights you are using, number of reps etc you could find you are bulking up. This is particularly likely if you use bigger weights.
  • Options
    I reckon it's about 85% diet, 15% exercise to losing weight. I've shifted a stone just through changing diet, still on the booze most weekends & not gained anything, just cut out bread & other wheat based foods.
  • Options
    Really struggling at the moment to get the weight down I started doing some bigger weights as I couldn't seem to shift the last few lbs to get to my 11st 5lb goal and thought some toning might work... and now all i wanna do is eat to feed the muscles and I appear to be developing an addiction to doing bigger weights...

Redman is correct, be careful of the bigger weights. Do you use a heart rate monitor? Long slow cycles in the correct zone will shift the weight and improve your stamina at the same time. If you're still using alcohol try cutting down.

Good luck.

• Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat. If you are doing more weight training then you may not see your weight drop, but your body shape will change. High reps will tone, heavy weights/less reps will bulk you. Are you using creatine?

Cardio and a decent diet is still the best way to lose weight.

Keep going Dazzler!!
  • Options
    It's really worth going and getting a decent body fat reading if you're reaching the point where it feels like you're hitting a wall. If you're doing weights, and your body weight is staying consistent, the odds are you're losing fat but putting on muscle - and that's the point where the only real way of measuring it is with a body fat reading. The machines you can get for personal use aren't particularly accurate - and vary in their readings a lot depending on how hydrated you are. If you can afford it, a bodpod reading is the best (http://www.bodpodlondon.com/)

Also, try and switch your diet to 5% carbs, 5% fat, 5% protein, 85% creatine.
  • Options
    I'm doing a reasonable amount of exercise (3 gym sessions) and eating almost no carbs. Salad for lunch and dinner with meat or fish. Results were pretty slow, but acting on a tip I started taking a protien shake for breakfast and am knocking off a couple of pounds a week. I think the larger amount of calories and protein 1st thing encourages the body to burn off fat quicker or something.
  • Options

Redman is correct, be careful of the bigger weights. Do you use a heart rate monitor? Long slow cycles in the correct zone will shift the weight and improve your stamina at the same time. If you're still using alcohol try cutting down.

Good luck.

I agree with Man at Millets.

Let me share something with you all. This will be majorly embarrassing as I dont want my mug shot all over the web but it does show what cycling can do. The pic on the left was me on 31st December 2010. Me at a hefty 17st. Seeing that pic the day after shocked me into realising how fat I was and how I really needed to do something about it. The pic on the right was taken by AFKA a few minutes before I left on my London to Paris ride a few weeks ago, after just over 6,000 miles in 18 months. Was 14st 9lbs that morning.

There's a good article here which explains the theory behind HR Zones and training with a HR monitor. On the advice of one of the ex-pro's I cycle with, I went to a Sports Clinic last year with him and got my Max HR measured and now all my training is based around my HR. Z2 fat burning, Z3 tempo work and Z4 intervals. There are many arguments for and against training that way but its the best thing I ever done.

I think the most important tip I was given was to always have breakfast. A bowl of porridge should be more than enough to get you through to lunch time without snacking.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forgot about this thread...

I did continue the experiment, my lowest weight was 10st 6lbs but my bodyfat was too low at around 7% and I lost some muscle tone as a result.

Now at 11st and have around 12% body fat and have a lot more definition.

I'm happier now but just need to get body fat to 10% and keep this weight.
  • Options
    And two years later, given the choice of running or cycling to burn fat...running wins every time.
  • Options
    100% agree. Running is just far more effective. The only time I burn nearly as much cycling is when I'm time trialling on my own or doing hills. My main problem with running is that it screws my back up if I do too much of it.
  • Options

100% agree. Running is just far more effective. The only time I burn nearly as much cycling is when I'm time trialling on my own or doing hills. My main problem with running is that it screws my back up if I do too much of it.

The danger of high impact. Have you tried trails?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

The danger of high impact. Have you tried trails?

Yeah - it's not the running per se, it's literally anything that has an impact on my back. Long standing - had it for more than 20 years. I know how to manage it - but annoying that any time I run more than about 50km in a week it starts to hurt. Used to think it was because I was overweight, but that's out the window now as I'm almost bang on the 'ideal' weight for my height and build, so not a question of carrying too much baggage around with me. I'm training for the RPHM again this year - want to do it in under 1:45, but without being able to train properly, that's going to be a struggle.
  • Options
    I experimented with exercise once, ruined me 24 pack!
  • Options
    well dazzler, personally & professionally, i observe & experience this simple, but highly effective (positive) body reshaping approach always works, and WITH our body''s natural design and instincts:

a) air - get outside, deep breathe in and out of the nose/diaphragm as much as you can remember
    b) rest - asleep by 9pm (or earlier), stir at daylight, though up after enough sleep
    c) movement - exercise that tones, strengthens and lengthens shape & develops stamina, eg. hot yoga, pilates, power walking, swimming
    d) sunlight - sun bathing until enough (depends upon season/location/skin colour)
    e) food - sit & calmly eat fresh, raw, ripe, whole, organic fruit & leafy greens when hungry until satisfied (roughly, no earlier than 11am, at 2-3pm & by sundown)
    f) water - throughout the waking day, but away from mealtimes, drink fresh rain water, or distilled water, if rain not available
    g) pat yourself on the back, often.

continue for a minimum of 1 month, knowing that the more pronounced detox symptoms will last between 5-10 days, and then you will cruise forward with ease, experiencing better and better results...

avoid or limit socializing, (especially with any possible neesayers) until the month has been completed, and by then, you will feel/look so much better that any of your doubts will evaporate in the face of wonderfully convincing results.

there is more, but those are the basics that are guaranteed to work, dazzler et al.
  • Options
    Agree with all points except hot yoga. That is a breeding ground for bacteria.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Agree with all points except hot yoga. That is a breeding ground for bacteria.

pleased to assist, dazzler, and though not for everyone, with the correct management and guides, bikram or hot yoga studios provide an excellent & intense 90 minute session that will ensure that the vital exercise warm-up does actually get the blood pumping and body temperature up a notch. as for bacteria, our bodies, if maintained are fully able to deal with micro-organisms - its the chemicals that they use to kill the little chappies that really harm us!