Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surface to air missile sites for Blackheath and Shooters Hill

Comments

• Options
    Shooters Hill has really gone, well, down hill. First Curb-it moves in and now this

: - )
  • Options
    What a farce, the economy is in crises, the building industry and house buying market needs a kick start and we are wasting money on this crap.

I wish we had never won the bloody Olympics, waste of money.
  • Options
    If they are prepared to shoot down a plane (why else do you deploy this kit?) then some poor Londoners on the ground will get killed too. But that presumably would be "a price worth paying"? Can't say I would be keen flying during those three weeks either!
  • Options
    I give it 3 weeks before the scrappers have had them away.
  • Options
    Someone must be able to hack the computers and redirect the missiles to SE25 and SE16
  • Options
    and i've not even moved in yet!

You're a cheerful old sod Michael. I cant wait.

Bit more info on the Blackheath bugle website.

http://blackheathbugle.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    I give it 3 weeks before the scrappers have had them away.
    LOL you may well be right
  • Options
    Wonder what they are expecting? Hope it has nothing with the recent government nuclear attack scaremongering campaign!! Is it al-qaeda? I suppose they could ask them seeing as they're working with them in Syria now according to US SOS. I'm glad now that I didn't get those Olympic tickets. And I don't want any more anti=terrorist flyers in the door either thank you very much. :))
  • Options
    If they are prepared to shoot down a plane (why else do you deploy this kit?) then some poor Londoners on the ground will get killed too. But that presumably would be "a price worth paying"? Can't say I would be keen flying during those three weeks either!
    True but the death toll of landing it would be less than the toll if the plane flew into the gurkin (for example). Our defence policy is always a knee-jerk reactio to the last terrorist action.

Terrorist plant bomb in bin - ban all bins
    Terrorists carry bomb in shoes - make air passengers remove shoes
    Terrorist fly plane into ciry building - install anti-aircraft guns near cities
  • Options
    Charlton lose two games on the bounce-Mass Hysteria
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick1965"Charlton lose two games on the bounce-Mass Hysteria

Lol...now we know. 1965, great year:))

• Options
    They have taken a couple of years through the planning permission ect. I requested the surface to air missiles for when Palarse fans thought it might be funny to fly a banner from a plane over the Valley a few years back.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't think this 'news' was meant to get out for another 19 days
  • Options
    would have thought they would be mobile launchers parked up for the duration, nay?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    interesting choice though, destroy jet whilst in the air over densley populated area, or let it crash into a high profile event largely populated with tourists and foreign athletes (as well as our own), hmmm
  • Options
    What a farce, the economy is in crises, the building industry and house buying market needs a kick start and we are wasting money on this crap.

It wont be costing very much at all I shouldnt think.
    These are assets we already have, manned by people who are already earning a wage.
    I agree the planning has kept people occupied but the massive benefits to London far far outweigh any negligible cost.

Go to Stratford and wander around, then come back on here and say its been a waste of money.

• Options
    heidi alexander, would ya?
  • Options
    heidi alexander, would ya?
    Deserves a thread of it's own.
  • Options
    That may explain all the hardware in Oxleas woods last week, one or two bits of kit looked like some sort of detection devices and some others were left covered over.
  • Options
    interesting choice though, destroy jet whilst in the air over densley populated area, or let it crash into a high profile event largely populated with tourists and foreign athletes (as well as our own), hmmm
    Be fair - during the olympics Stratford and other arenas will be more densely populated. They have to get near enough to prove they are a threat without getting close enough to hit their target. I imagien the number of UK citizens alone would be more at those sites. Plus the outcome of not letting terrorists hit the targets they aimed for is desirable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Go to Stratford and wander around, then come back on here and say its been a waste of money.

Make sure you don't go when the guns are pointing that way !
  • Options
    And a lot of boots on the ground too by the look of things...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/mar/12/london-olympics-security-lockdown-london
    This is a looonnng piece but well worth a read.
  • Options
    I'm more concerned about the few bits of ancient woodland and other SSI 's this totally stupid plan might threaten
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm more concerned about the few bits of ancient woodland and other SSI 's this totally stupid plan might threaten
    Shrew...they won't be going near the undergroath but driving on existing tracks and paths and parking on open spaces..nothing much to worry about from that point of view.

• Options
    If they do decide to go ahead with this idea, is the river worth considering as a site? A Royal Navy missile ship has everything on it already and can chug up and down to different locations as required. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Shooters Hill has really gone, well, down hill. First Curb-it moves in and now this

: - )
    Will I get a rate rebate ?

• Options
    If they do decide to go ahead with this idea, is the river worth considering as a site? A Royal Navy missile ship has everything on it already and can chug up and down to different locations as required. Just a thought.
    Do we have any ships left?
  • Options

It wont be costing very much at all I shouldnt think.
    These are assets we already have, manned by people who are already earning a wage.
    I agree the planning has kept people occupied but the massive benefits to London far far outweigh any negligible cost.

OK then, name the benefits of the Olympics. Name five of them. And I don't mean things like the nebulous 'feelgood factor' here - I mean real, definable and quantifiable benefits - for Londoners, and for the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I dont think they will be digging in these mobile systems - I mean they roam around the battlefield quite easily, and they are more a deterrent to be seen - cant see any need to touch the woodland.

It is far from a stupid plan.