Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

pedalless kids bikes

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
thinking of getting one of these for my boy (nearly 3) do they work? I heard they are supposed to be better than going to stablisiers etc

anyone had any experience of them?

thanks

Comments

• thinking of getting one of these for my boy (nearly 3) do they work?

only if you are going down hill
  • Yes, they do work and are better than stabilsers but rather than pay £40/50 for one, I took the crank arms/pedals off my daughter's little bike and then encouraged her to learn to balance the bike down a gentle slope. She took a couple of days learning that and once she'd cracked it, I put the pedals back on and off she went and hasnt looked back since... (apart from looking around at me to say "Daddy, I can cycle"...and rode straight into a lamppost which she still hasnt forgiven me for!)
  • Yes, they do work and are better than stabilsers but rather than pay £40/50 for one, I took the crank arms/pedals off my daughter's little bike and then encouraged her to learn to balance the bike down a gentle slope. She took a couple of days learning that and once she'd cracked it, I put the pedals back on and off she went and hasnt looked back since... (apart from looking around at me to say "Daddy, I can cycle"...and rode straight into a lamppost which she still hasnt forgiven me for!)
    Do that fella!!

I know someone who help set up the concept over here and sells then online - all he does is package and sell on, he's quit his £500per day job to do this full time, seriously they work but the money involved is pretty much double bouble (buy bike with no pedals, then buy a bike!!) when as JohnBoy says just take the crank arms/pedals off a normal bike - as you're only going to have to buy a real bike in a few months once they learn how to stabalise themselves

• They had my son riding his proper bike two years earlier than his big brother. He loved it to pieces and had to be persuaded to pass it on tyo a cousin even though he'd outgrown it ages before.

Bought it for £25 new from E-Bay and it held up perfectly. Wooden thing with rubber tyres.
  • thought they were more like £100 lovely jubbly

thanks chaps
  • Coincidentally I picked one up this morning for £25 in Toys r us. My lad was zooming around on it and he's not 2 till next week.

I don't suppose it'll last forever but should last until he gets his first pedal jobbie.