Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Feb 25th 1984 - Charltons last ever game???

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Lets get the insignificant part out of the ways first.

25th February 1984 Vetch Field. Swansea City 1 (1) (Pascoe 9) Charlton Athletic 0 (0) Att: 5,222

Swansea: Hughes, Marustik, McQuillan, Evans, Stevenson, Lewis, Robinson, Richards, Saunders, Walsh, Pascoe. Unused sub: Lake.

Charlton: Johns, O’Shea, Dickenson, Smith (Robinson 70), Dowman, Berry, Gritt, Jones, Hales, Aizlewood, Flanagan.

Referee: T Spencer (Salisbury)

The main course……

In retrospect, the Swansea game could have been the last in Charltons 79 year history. In fact The Mercury was predicting it would be. The Football league had set a 5.00pm deadline on 8th March 1984 for a rescue package by the Sunley Group to be approved by Mr Justice Mervyn Davies at the High Courts. He did so at 4.35pm on that day, which must have upset journalist Mike Langley.
Four days before D-Day, in a column headed ‘Goodbye. Good riddance if Charlton crash’, the Sunday People columnist wrote “Obviously, the consortium backed by builders as big as Sunley won’t have much trouble coughing up the required million to relaunch the club as ‘Charlton 1984’. But why do they bother? I can’t see a football reason. They’re not snapping up a sleeping giant but a permanently paralysed pygmy. The death of Derby or Wolves would have struck at the very roots of foootball. But who is going to miss a moribund club like Charlton, in a city that has twice as many sides as it needs? (note from H&A: sounds like Chirpy). The nation needs houses more than it needs standing room for 7,000 people with nothing better to do than hang around the haunted Valley. Sunley’s could make no greater contribution to the game than by turning the whole ten acres into semi’s and all the Directors who sold good players to buy poor ones deserve to be buried in the foundations”
On the same day, Patrick Collins wrote in his Mail on Sunday column: “ There are those who say it’s a good thing that such clubs should die; that the rest of the league will somehow emerge leaner, fitter and suitably chastened. Fashionable claptrap, spouted by soul-less fools who never worshipped gods with names like Fenton and Hewie, big Johnny Summers and tiny Billy Kiernan and that splendid full-back called Jock Campbell who once said “thanks” when I threw the ball back to him”.
Very well put Patrick, who has been a good friend to Charlton, and sport in general, over the years.

And desert…….

*Extract from entry 10th March 1984. A 3-3 home draw against Grimsby Town in front of 7,626.

New Chairman John Fryer paraded with his two boardroom colleagues Mike Norris and Richard Collins on the pitch before kick-off. Future England international Rob Lee scored on his senior debut.

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2007
    Too young for me to go remember but ive read plenty of Charlton books and i can safely say that Mike Langley is a cock.

As an aside when i was at uni in Swansea i went to the Vetch a few times (£3 for Swansea uni students) and i have no felt so intimiated as an Englishman in the Swansea end.
  • Options
    Have never read that Sunday People quote before. Lets just say that if that was happening now, Mike Langley would be getting a very personal visit. I'm even angry reading it now, and i know there was a happy ending !
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Perhaps Mike Langley is Simon Jordan's Dad. What a pr*ck. I wonder where he is now. Collins of course is a fan. I didn't go the Swans game but remember the Grimsby game well. I seem to remember that they scored last late on to deny us a victory after the finger nail bitting agonys of the last ditch rescue.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Good riddance

Wanker.

Anyone remember the name of the prick in the SubStandard who wrote 'Let them Die'?
  • Options
    Michael Herd or something like that?
  • Options
    the derby and wolves reference is somehow a prophecy for their own downfall. this bloke must be a bit of a jonah. i'm just glad he didn't tip us for europe, or we would be in the ryman league by now.
  • Options
    One of my favorite posts.
  • Options
    Funny how Home & Away only posts on these threads. Never a Would ya or a comment on a game : - )

So 25 years where are we? Playing Swansea away and in a bit of a mess with, seemingly unfounded, rumours of Administration hanging over us.

So what! It's been a bloody exciting 25 years in between.

Here's to another quarter century like the last by which time I will be ga ga or dead or both.
  • Options
    Langley died in 2006. If I could find his gravestone in Crewe, I would gob on it. We used to be Sunday People readers at home, My Dad cancelled it after that issue.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no apologies for bumping this one at a time when Portsmouth face a similar fate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    remember....
  • Options
    Remember it well. Pascoe scored in front of us.We played crap but should've had a penalty in last couple of minutes when Martin Robinson was hacked down. Danny O'Shea made his debut (I think) and a bloke who I still see in the East Stand trod in dogshit on the walk to the ground.
  • Options
    I can't believe any journo who made a career from the game would right that. I wouldn't wish that don even millwall or palace. I cannot see that this man was a football fan and the same for the Dick who wrote that on the standard. FUMING!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Langley died in 2006. If I could find his gravestone in Crewe, I would gob on it. We used to be Sunday People readers at home, My Dad cancelled it after that issue.

I'd do more than gob on it.
    WHEN we go up this season I'm going to find his grave and have a massive party all over it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite] ........The death of Derby or Wolves would have struck at the very roots of foootball. But who is going to miss a moribund club like Charlton, in a city that has twice as many sides as it needs? (note from H&A: sounds like Chirpy).........

Lol!
    I think I'm misunderstood.
  • Options
    as it was mentioned in another thread.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2012
    Strange that you bumped in 2010 citing Pompey's troubles...
  • Options
    Good riddance

Wanker.

Anyone remember the name of the prick in the SubStandard who wrote 'Let them Die'?
    Missed this first time round, sitting here guffawing. Sometimes only one word is needed to sum things up.

Michael Herd was the bloke in the Substandard, a paper whose only useful function is to line the cats litter tray.

• Options
    Mick Dennis?
  • Options
    I wrote to Langley after the article and called him a cun.... Made a few phone calls to the sports desk and called whoever answered a cun...
    Well, we were young.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No apologies for bumping this one.
  • Options
    My only ever visit to The Vetch....highlight of the day was a good piss up on the way down on the train and in a few pubs before and after the game....incidently Swansea got relegated that year, they were in the old 1st division in the 82-83 season and went through the leagues to the old 4th division, getting relegated in 85-86 from the old 3rd division.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/14066668176

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Funny how Home & Away only posts on these threads. Never a Would ya or a comment on a game .

I TRUST this is not the pot calling the kettle black is it?
  • Options
    For the newbies:
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Remember it well. Pascoe scored in front of us. We played crap but should've had a penalty in last couple of minutes when Martin Robinson was hacked down. Danny O'Shea made his debut (I think) and a bloke who I still see in the East Stand trod in dog-shit on the walk to the ground.

And I've consequently found out that my mate saw the same bloke tread in dog-shit away to Fulham in 1981. That fella is now always referred to as dog-shit matey.
  • Options
    Might be worth checking if this Mike Langley had an Belgian roots.......
  • Options
    Got the coach to this one. Remember the the drive through South Wales and realising what a shithole it looked. Port talbot looked grim. The steel works and mining towns looked so run down. The team at that time were poor too. If I remember there must have been about 200-300 in the corner behind the goal. To think that's 33 years ago. Where did that time go ? And now I'm boycotting.
  • Options
    How it was 36 years ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    And to think there were probably only about 250 of us there that day, which actually felt like quite a few more than we'd usually get on a long away trip. I managed to drag along a QPR supporting mate to this one. 

PS: Regarding earlier posts - I haven't seen "Dog-Shit Matey" for a few years now.