Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hosepipe ban to be imposed in drought-hit parts of UK

Can't find any info on Thames Water website , but according to the BBC its kicking in the day before Good Friday (5th of April) , get your Waterbutts now as there will be a shortage!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17340844

Comments

• Options
    Lets hope they reduce the bill as they won't be providing a full service:))
  • Options
    Why is it places like Spain and Italy who have little rainful (far less than us) do not have bans or official droughts. Are we that wasteful with our water?
  • Options
    Why is it places like Spain and Italy who have little rainful (far less than us) do not have bans or official droughts. Are we that wasteful with our water?
    Partly, yes. But also remember that England has 4x the population density of Spain and 2x that of Italy, with the figure much higher in the South where great areas have be concreted over preventing ground water levels from being maintained.

• Options
    Greed , Greed , greed. That's all the water companies ( and the energy companies) promote. Water shortage my arse.
  • Options
    Lack of investment in Water infrastructure for years and the pigeons are now coming home to roost.
  • Options
    I've got a hosepipe but I hardly ever use it. Why would I? It rains so much in this bloody country it's unnecessary!
  • Options
    Not for me - I totally ignore these bans.

Interesting that you can change all kinds of utilities suppliers - but not your water. All profits going to the French / German parent companies.

I just carry on using whatever amount of water I want.......which all drains away back to the supplier - who charges me for it's reprocessing.

There is no such thing as a water shortage, just too many people living on an island with limited resources.

Nobody ever gets reported / fined for using a hose.
    I know of people filling swimming pools during water shortages.

Ignore it.
  • Options

Interesting that you can change all kinds of utilities suppliers - but not your water. All profits going to the French / German parent companies.

I just carry on using whatever amount of water I want.......which all drains away back to the supplier - who charges me for it's reprocessing.

There is no such thing as a water shortage, just too many people living on an island with limited resources.

Ignore it.
    Do you smoke in the north upper toilets ? ;0)

• Options
    Greed , Greed , greed. That's all the water companies ( and the energy companies) promote. Water shortage my arse.
    Oh come off it. Lord knows I'm as pissed off as the next man about the upcoming hosepipe ban (after just topdressing and overseeding my bloody lawn yesterday) but we have just had two of the driest winters on record in succession, coupled with an exceptionally dry summer last year. The water companies started a massive period of infrastructure investment to replace the aging old sewers and reservoirs (after years of complete and utter neglect under the old state-owned infrastructure and naked profiteering immediately following privatisation), but were almost immediately told to scale it back. if you want to blame anyone, blame the government, with their ridiculous inisistence on piling more and more people into the SouthEast, concreting over reservoirs willy-nilly, instead of being a bit more sensible and long-term by building more new towns further North.
  • Options
    I blame Thatcher.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I blame Thatcher.
    More like Dennis. All that water in his scotch ;0)

• Options
    They do have bans. As a child visiting relatives I can tell you that every year there were water restrictions in some parts of Spain (especially the South, where the problem was exacerbated by idiot tourists who were so used to being able to waste water that they ended up contributing to massive water depletion across the Costas). Spanish people don't have the gardening traditions that the English have, therefore it isn't called a 'hosepipe ban' - it's called 'water rationing'. In addition, where my wife is from (Sicily) they still don't have mains water in more than 80% of the country - it gets delivered by tanker twice a week, and there are regularly two days a week that the water supply is turned off during part of the day to conserve supplies.
  • Options
    We are an Island so can somebody please tell me why we do not have any desalination plants?
  • Options
    They do have bans. As a child visiting relatives I can tell you that every year there were water restrictions in some parts of Spain (especially the South, where the problem was exacerbated by idiot tourists who were so used to being able to waste water that they ended up contributing to massive water depletion across the Costas). Spanish people don't have the gardening traditions that the English have, therefore it isn't called a 'hosepipe ban' - it's called 'water rationing'. In addition, where my wife is from (Sicily) they still don't have mains water in more than 80% of the country - it gets delivered by tanker twice a week, and there are regularly two days a week that the water supply is turned off during part of the day to conserve supplies.
    I have not heard of the water rationing since roughly 2005. True they do not have the same gardening traditions. But what about the millions of swimming pools that are filled. The public showers at beachs and foot washes.

I admit i do not know the facts about rainful and how much Britain consumes but it does seem ludicrous that we have a housepipe ban when we have lots of rain compared to our european counterparts.
  • Options
    I've just put a brick in my toilet.
  • Options
    We are an Island so can somebody please tell me why we do not have any desalination plants?
    Hideously expensive, questionable quality output and very ecologically unsound
  • Options
    Oh come off it. Lord knows I'm as pissed off as the next man about the upcoming hosepipe ban (after just topdressing and overseeding my bloody lawn yesterday) but we have just had two of the driest winters on record in succession, coupled with an exceptionally dry summer last year. The water companies started a massive period of infrastructure investment to replace the aging old sewers and reservoirs (after years of complete and utter neglect under the old state-owned infrastructure and naked profiteering immediately following privatisation), but were almost immediately told to scale it back. if you want to blame anyone, blame the government, with their ridiculous inisistence on piling more and more people into the SouthEast, concreting over reservoirs willy-nilly, instead of being a bit more sensible and long-term by building more new towns further North.
    I do blame the government as well.

and I'm still ignoring the ban.

• Options
    Big meal last night?
  • Options
    Good luck to you. Will you be like those pilchards who whinge when they get speeding tickets and have to pay for breaking the law when you get caught?
  • Options
    Both Spain and Italy with 24" and 28" per annum on average (it varies by region obviously) get more rainfall than South East England. London is supposed to average around 22" but hasn't been. Last spring, over three months, East Anglia got just over 1" of rain. Morocco gets that every month outside the Summer season and that's a desert!
    Anyway, I've decided that when people stop washing their children on a daily basis, I'll stop using my hosepipe.
    Everyone should be on a water meter by now anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to you. Will you be like those pilchards who whinge when they get speeding tickets and have to pay for breaking the law when you get caught?
    Yes
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Or people who swear in public?
  • Options
    Just too much information ....!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options

Ignore it.
    Top man, I am with you on this one
  • Options
    Meanwhile it's Cheltenham week and apparently millions of gallons of water are going to be pumped onto the course...
  • Options
    Meanwhile it's Cheltenham week and apparently millions of gallons of water are going to be pumped onto the course...
    Already have.
  • Options
    Ah, and now we come to the real issue.

This watering is Ok - because they are a commercial user and they buy it.
    So...there is enough water if you have enough money.

Like I said, ignore this nonsense ban.
  • Options
    Did I read somewhere it takes 1 million gallons of water in the production of just one car?

That's all right, then - we don't have a car manufacturing industry anymore.
  • Options
    They always charge me for waste water down the drains despite the fact a lot of the water used goes into the garden ,plants and washing the car on the street. When I asked for a correction and a smalll refund they said no! Cheers!! Now wheres's that hose?
    :))