Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cartoon comedies

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
So you've got the simpsons, family guy, American dad, south park and futurama as the main ones.

What's your favourite and why?

The simpsons is the most influential by a long shot, but the best for me is south park, it is brilliant.

There all pretty decent and watchable, I believe the best comedies are actually in cartoon form...

Comments

• Archer is pretty amazing.
  • Family Guy is hit and miss, but when it's good, for me it's the best there is currently.
    The Simpsons ran it's course ten years ago and has been treading water for years. Three funny jokes an episode doesn't make a good show for me.
    I enjoyed King Of The Hill - which developed into a really, really good show after awkward beginnings.
    Never 'got' South Park. I've tried, I just don't find it funny. Something about it doesn't 'work' for me.
    Think American Dad and The Cleveland Show are dross, tbh.
    Futurama was bordering on genius before it was cancelled - the episode with Fry's dog is surely the only cartoon that can come close to making a grown man weep.
    The best animated comedy of all time is Duckman. An absolute, bona fide underrated gem of a show. Seriously, if you;ve never seen this, seek it out. I've seen all 70 episodes about 20 times.
  • the episode with Fry's dog is surely the only cartoon that can come close to making a grown man weep.
    "What do we want?"
    "Fry's dog!"
    "When do we want it?"
    "Fry's dog!"
  • Some episodes of Family Guy are brilliant, a cut above anything else. Like Leroy, I never really 'got' South Park, despite having many friends who love it. The Simpsons in its heyday was very, very good, but I haven't bothered with recent seasons because it seemed to run out of ideas a fair while back. I think American Dad, and Cleveland Show especially, are poor, poor substitutes for Family Guy. Therefore I basically agree with Leroy, so I've repeated some of his points, but worded them slightly differently rather than just writing 'THIS' :)
  • 1. The Simpsons (Seasons 4-9)
    2. Futurama (Seasons 4-5 + first 2 'movies')
    3. Southpark
    4. Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist
    5. Beavis & Butthead
    6. Daria
    7. Family Guy (First 3 seasons only)
    8. The Critic
    9. King of the Hill

Wooden Spoon: American Dad
  • edited March 2012
    Id rank them

The Simpsons - At it's peak one of the greatest tv shows ever in my opinion, the movie was poor though and some of the newer episodes are painful to watch.

Family Guy - Hilarious

South Park - Hit and Miss, but can be excellent.

American Dad - Good, mostly because of Roger who's priceless.

Futurama - Good, never gotten into it as much as the others though

King of the Hill - Not laugh out loud funny but enjoyable

Cleveland Show - Poor, Cleveland needs to return to Quahog.

• I don't get South Park either - just not funny. Family Guy is head and shoulders over every other cartoon comedy.
  • Cleveland show is poor but I think American Dad is brilliant
  • Tom and jerry
  • Phineas & Ferb
  • Sponsored links:

• Superduck was good, I think it was on BBC2 in the 90s, I preferred King of the Hill. The first episode of Drawn Together is brilliant, just a shame about the rest of the series.

1. The Simpsons, one of the best TV programmes ever made.
    2. South Park, started well then went poor, the film was horrible IMO but it became brilliant afterwards. The latest episodes have been hit and miss but the when they've hit they've been incredible.
    3. King of The Hill, brilliant characters who can make me laugh by just being themselves.
    4. Family guy, has become utter crap recently where the joke appears to be look how offensive we can be, poor man's South Park.
    5. Futurama, I haven't seen enough episodes to give it a proper rating!
  • Some of the earlier Simpson stuff is brilliant.
    also used to like 2dtv.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm glad Aracher and Duckman got a mention... underrated. I'm quite amused by Sealab 2021 too, and Monkey Dust was one of the funniest shows ever
  • Ren & Stimpy.
  • Got to say I like most of the cartoons mentioned but I have a gripe. The popular ones simpsons, family guy, american dad and south park all get repeated far beyond what is reasonable.
  • Monkey Dust
  • the goode family
    the life and times of tim
  • Drawn Together
  • American dad is brilliant, Roger has me in stitches. Don't know who more people don't like it.

Family Guy is hit and miss, when it's funny its really funny but then it can be rubbish.

Simpsons ran its course years ago, Futurama can be enjoyable - not enough though IMO.

South park has me in stitches, Cartman is brilliant at times.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm glad Aracher and Duckman got a mention... underrated. I'm quite amused by Sealab 2021 too, and Monkey Dust was one of the funniest shows ever
    Yeah, tons of people dont know about Archer, yet it's amazing
  • The best animated comedy of all time is Duckman. An absolute, bona fide underrated gem of a show. Seriously, if you;ve never seen this, seek it out. I've seen all 70 episodes about 20 times.
    I used to watch it, buried away at some stupid time on a Friday night. A cut above most animations and way ahead of its time.

It took me ages to 'get' South Park, and while I still have no interest in the toilet humour side of it, the way they deal with issues can often be genius.
  • South Park, is complete genius. Also love the Life and Times of Tim.

All of the Seth McFarlane cartoons are great when they're on song. Cleveland has really grown on me, can't stop singing the theme turne.
  • Animaniacs was a favourite, also Johnny Bravo, Ren and Stimpy and Courage the cowardly dog. I also enjoy Sean the Sheep and Jakers.
  • Drawn Together
    Good call. A mate acquired all of them the other day was mucho jealous.

• Monkey Dust
    Loved this. Very dark.

• South Park is the greatest TV show ever made.

Just watch "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" it's possibly the greatest 26 minutes of television ever constructed.

• Futurama was bordering on genius before it was cancelled - the episode with Fry's dog is surely the only cartoon that can come close to making a grown man weep.
    I thought it was just me ! Sad stuff.
    They've done it a few times - Fry's dog, Fry finding out his brother loved him and named his son after him, the montage of Leela's parents looking after her in secret all those years... sniff.

• Tom and jerry
    Tom and Jerry was, for some time, amazingly funny - I managed to pick up the complete set on DVD for about a tenner, bargain. So simple, so good.
  • Danger mouse and count duckula. I thought these were heading into children's tv category, but I caught some recently and they still raised a chuckle