Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car breakdown cover recommendations

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anyone got any recommendations/horror stories? I've been with the AA for ages and I think they are probably ripping me off. Some outfit called The Green Insurance Company seems to be offering full cover incl. European for £59. Anybody use them?

Comments

• Been with the RAC since 1987 - they're quite expensive but the cover they give me suits my needs. A friend of mine (Charlton supporter) arranges cover at very good rates: Neale Huelin of Stewart and Partners 07900037393 or 020 8304 2638 - worth a quick call.
  • I pay £15 a month for my bank account which gives me full European RAC cover, travel insurance for me and the Mrs, mobile phone insurance, card and passport cover and loads of other stuff.
  • Auto aid

Absolutely brilliant system

Why anyone ever uses any other system I do not know.

Nearest garage called out to get you, you pay them, send invoice to Autoaid, they pay within a couple of days.
    Two people any vehicle £38 a year
  • I pay £15 a month for my bank account which gives me full European RAC cover, travel insurance for me and the Mrs, mobile phone insurance, card and passport cover and loads of other stuff.
    which bank PBS?
    which bank PBS?
    Barclays additions active account.
  • You could look at Insurance policies that includes break down cover when you shop around for new quotes. This can work out quite a bit cheaper - I currently have a policy with Budget that includes Green Flag that I had to use once and they were fine.
  • Check the renewel premium each year and compare with the deal offered to new customers. If it is more, just tell them you are not prepared to pay it and want it for the same price as a new customer-- they always concede.
  • edited March 2012
    I pay £15 a month for my bank account which gives me full European RAC cover, travel insurance for me and the Mrs, mobile phone insurance, card and passport cover and loads of other stuff.
    I get exactly the same with Halifax for a tenner @ month

• Ive always taken the cover offered with my Churchill insurance Green Flag. Have used it about four times over the years and had excellent service. They retain local garages for call outs so probably down to luck how good it is. Even had silly call out for running out of petrol and only paid for the petrol.
  • Thanks v much for the suggestions guys. I've got an Admiral multi-car insurance policy (same firm as elephant and also owns confused.com!!) As long as they are competitive I'll see whether they offer a bolt-on breakdown service and check out AutoAid.
  • Sponsored links:

• MY AA contents insurance came with an offer of £20 per year for full cover inc Europe. The AA quote was very good only around £5 more than the cheapest and was 3rd cheapest overall.
  • I've just had a look at Autoaid's key facts document. It is silent on recovery following an accident so I guess it's breakdown only. There is also an odd clause about cars being required to have a "legal spare tyre". Neither of my cars have one - just a poxy gunk inflation kit which wrecks the tyre - so I guess Autoaid are out of the picture.
  • Had a look at autoaid as I am commuting to Cardiff each week in a 15 year old Saab. Looks just what I need and no penalties for driving an old car, unlike most of the others - thanks for the recommendation, Floyd.
  • WSSWSS
    edited March 2012
    I've just had a look at Autoaid's key facts document. It is silent on recovery following an accident so I guess it's breakdown only. There is also an odd clause about cars being required to have a "legal spare tyre". Neither of my cars have one - just a poxy gunk inflation kit which wrecks the tyre - so I guess Autoaid are out of the picture.
    The reason they say you need a "legal spare tyre" is because it's against the law not to have one in your car I think. That's what Gumbo said anyway.

• edited March 2012
    Had a look at autoaid as I am commuting to Cardiff each week in a 15 year old Saab. Looks just what I need and no penalties for driving an old car, unlike most of the others - thanks for the recommendation, Floyd.
    Sounds like we have the same Car Idle!
    They also do motorbikes, small vans and will recover after accident.
    cafcfan - contact them directly, as I did, as motorbikes dont have spare tyres - I was assured I would be covered.
    They are good to talk to.

• I've just had a look at Autoaid's key facts document. It is silent on recovery following an accident so I guess it's breakdown only. There is also an odd clause about cars being required to have a "legal spare tyre". Neither of my cars have one - just a poxy gunk inflation kit which wrecks the tyre - so I guess Autoaid are out of the picture.
    The reason they say you need a "legal spare tyre" is because it's against the law not to have one in your car I think. That's what Gumbo said anyway.

That can't be true because if you have an LPG conversion the LPG tank is usually put into the spare wheel well and you're advised to carry one of those instant repair sprays.
  • Can you insure against the wheels coming off? ;0(
  • Okay, guys, I 'phoned Auto Aid and checked about the tyre thing. The spare has to be legal if there's one there. But if there isn't they still cover you for the flat tyre as long as you've got an inflation kit.
    There are a few odd exclusions - they won't cover transit size vans, pick-ups or american left-hookers and will not pay out more than £65 for each Home call out. Anyway I've decided to use them, so thanks to Floyd for the suggestion.
  • Great news cafcfan
    Hope you dont ever need them, but at the price they are unbeatable
    As I said before, I just done know why anyone uses any other breakdown system - the money I`ve saved using them covers the escalating petrol prices!