Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Concussion ... Where are we in the table? ... and Has Bradley ended his goal drought?

Had the scare of my life yesterday when i got a phone call from the school to say my 15 year old lad ( He of the ball in the face at Sheff Utd by Kermo) to say he'd been kicked in the face playing football during PE , by a high kick when he was going for a corner.

Apart from the usual covered in blood , stud marks in the head, was going to take him home and let him have a rest , but thought i'd ask him a few simple things ... what school did his brother go to ( he said primary school , he's at secondary school), he couldn't remember where we'd gone last Summer on holiday , where Charlton were in the league/ what division , who we'd played on Saturday and whether BWP had ended his goal drought yet?

I took him to A&E where he proceeded to ask me the same questions , over and over again , without remembering the answers i gave, he had a brain scan which thankfully was all clear , got moved to another Hospital and subsequently missed last nights game, as he spent the night in hospital.

I went to the footie last night , with my other son and yes it was pretty bad (the football that is0 but i couldn't get too down about the result with what had been going on that day (We'll bounceback) .

The good news is my son came home from hospital today , he remembers that Charlton are top of the league , that Bradley has ended his goal drought, and he has stopped re[peating his questions , has anyone else had similar issues themselves / with their kids of concussion / memory loss?

I know its a good thing to have a lark and joke about (and i don't mind if you do!) but its really frightening to watch when its one of your kids.

Comments

• Options
    that must've been horrendous, glad he's ok
  • Options
    That does sound particularly bad, glad he's ok now.

I had a similar but less severe experience once when I fell on to my head from about 8 feet up (long story!). Luckily there were St John's Ambulance nearby and they were great. I apparently couldn't remember anything though, gave them old phone numbers and home addresses from YEARS ago. Couldn't remember what my girlfriend at the time looked like (I was asked to give a description of her so they could find her) - which the paramedics very helpfully told her when she arrived! She wasn't too pleased...

I was a bit out of it for a couple of days, and I still struggle to remember the whole day that it happened.
  • Options
    I got a knee to the side of the head playing football (i'm a keeper) a few weeks back, it split my ear open in two places and knocked me out briefly. I played on with a bandage then went to A&E...... but I still can't remember the match!! We won 5-2.
  • Options
    Can't even imagine. My two year old had a couple of bumps to the head on the weekend, nothing like a concussion though, and my heart skipped a few beats each time. Can't imagine seeing him with a major "injury". Scary stuff, I'm glad yours is ok now.
  • Options
    I got a knee to the side of the head playing football (i'm a keeper) a few weeks back, it split my ear open in two places and knocked me out briefly. I played on with a bandage then went to A&E...... but I still can't remember the match!! We won 5-2.
    That explains why you look the way you do.
  • Options
    I must have had concussion when I called my wife by the wrong name at a particularly bad moment!

Glad your son is ok.
  • Options
    That explains why you look the way you do.
    It made all my hair fall out!!!

• Options
    I must have had concussion when I called my wife by the wrong name at a particularly bad moment!

Glad your son is ok.
    Did you have concussion before you said it and because you said it.

Mike, glad to hear he is OK now.
  • Options
    When I was 7 I hit my head on a Metal climbing frame in wells park. I suffered total memory loss for a week. I obviously don't remember any of this but my Dad said i didn't even know my own name.

The when I was 9 I fell off a roundabout in Dulwich park and suffered minor concussion which wasn't that bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Glad he's OK. Kids'll be the death of ya.

As regards the memory loss, repeating questions: I'm 52, this is what I do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad he's ok MIA.
    I knocked myself out for about 2 days when I was 9. At football training, as mentioned in the "How good were you" thread.
    They kept me in hospital for a few days rest and observation, but I was given the all clear.
    No long term damage (I think!), and I've even knocked myself out once since then.
    I think its a fairly common thing to happen as a kid. I wouldn't worry too much. Unless he starts acting strangely, wearing blue and red, journeying to Croydon etc.
  • Options
    Glad he's ok MIA.
    I knocked myself out for about 2 days when I was 9. At football training, as mentioned in the "How good were you" thread.
    They kept me in hospital for a few days rest and observation, but I was given the all clear.
    No long term damage (I think!), and I've even knocked myself out once since then.
    I think its a fairly common thing to happen as a kid. I wouldn't worry too much. Unless he starts acting strangely, wearing blue and red, journeying to Croydon etc.
    Crickey Eaststand , you worried me for a moment , i hadn't thought of the possibility of him wanting to buy a Palace shirt , may have to put him up for adoption! :-0

• Options
    I was concussed a few months back (punched in the head playing rugby). Got home. Couldn't remember who I had just played, whether it was home or away, what number was on my back. I am fine now though. It's not a nice feeling being concussed so I can only sympathise with your son.

Thankfully, he's okay. Make sure he doesn't play for about 3 weeks. if he gets knocked again, the injury could worsen and it can become severe. But he should be fine :-)