Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R.I.P. Dave Charnley

Just heard that Dave passed away on the 3rd March after a short illness.

He was from Dartford and was a great lightweight boxer who I saw many times in my youth.

He was twice beaten in world title fights but he was one of the best around and was British champion for a number of years.

R.I.P. DAVE

Comments

• Options
    Was a star name back in my childhood .. one of the best English boxers in that era along with Terry Downes and Henry Cooper .. R I P
  • Options
    R.I.P I remember his ladies hairdressers shop at the bottom of West Hill, Dartford.
  • Options
    Boxing for Orpington in the 60's we asked Henry Cooper to present some trophies. He wanted £500 which was out of the question. Apparently well known for not doing anything for nothing !! I am sure Dave Charnley was the one who stepped in and helped the club.
    RIP
  • Options
    Boxing for Orpington in the 60's we asked Henry Cooper to present some trophies. He wanted £500 which was out of the question. Apparently well known for not doing anything for nothing !! I am sure Dave Charnley was the one who stepped in and helped the club.
    RIP
    I think the trouble with HC was his manager the infamous Jim Wicks, he made Colonel Tom Parker look like a philanthropist
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Absolutely devastated by this news, he lived a few houses away from me and was great friend with my eldest brother, infact he gave my brother his old football boots, you know type brown rough leather above the ankle with nailed in studs, infact thinking about it I had them as well. Like us him came from temple hill, and when ever he fought I was allowed to stay up and watch the coaches park up and then depart, what a sight lines of coaches. This was in the days of when nobody had a car, and to see a coach was extraordinary, but to see a whole row of 20 to 30 was unheard off. Think this must have been in the late 50's.

I think he was involved in one of the shortest fights in boxing history, something like 11 seconds including the count, people who saw it said it lasted shorter than that. He became a ladies hairdresser, then our families lost touch.

RIP Dave, and say hello to my brother and the rest from number 10 whilst you up their.
  • Options
    A brave boxer and colourful character, tough as nails from the 'Old School' days of boxing.
    Remember you well Dave old son and with happy memories.
    RIP little fella......... RIP.
  • Options
    Absolutely devastated by this news, he lived a few houses away from me and was great friend with my eldest brother, infact he gave my brother his old football boots, you know type brown rough leather above the ankle with nailed in studs, infact thinking about it I had them as well. Like us him came from temple hill, and when ever he fought I was allowed to stay up and watch the coaches park up and then depart, what a sight lines of coaches. This was in the days of when nobody had a car, and to see a coach was extraordinary, but to see a whole row of 20 to 30 was unheard off. Think this must have been in the late 50's.

I think he was involved in one of the shortest fights in boxing history, something like 11 seconds including the count, people who saw it said it lasted shorter than that. He became a ladies hairdresser, then our families lost touch.

RIP Dave, and say hello to my brother and the rest from number 10 whilst you up their.
    Very touching little story, Kerry.

When people like Dave Charnley die, who was such a name from my childhood, it makes you feel so old.

R.I.P.

• Options
    Boxed for the great repton club but i think started at Dartford abc one of the old greats who today would have been a world champion train a girl who's great grandad is sammy mccarthy if you like to hear about old boxers and the sport youtube sammy mcarthy boxer. Rip Dave
  • Options
    A local hero with a worldwide name.

RIP Dave
  • Options
    Rumour has it that Dave lived on the corner of Thanet Road Bexley Village..... must admit I never saw him, and I have been here 30 years.
    If that was the case, his house backed onto the once promotor of Duke Mckenzie, that large detached house on the corner opposite Hurst Road by the memorial.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ken, all I can tell you is that he lived his young life on temple hill, at some time moved down to the lakes in Dartford just down the hill where the football club is now. Can't say if he lived in Bexley as our families went there own ways.
  • Options
    The only boxer I have ever been interested in as he came from my home town.

Have a photo with him when he opened our school gala one year at Oakfield Lane Juniors.

Used his hairdressing salon in Spital St regularly in the late 60's/early 70's and often saw him there. Very quiet, polite gent.

Very sad news.
  • Options
    RIP Dave
  • Options
    My dad used to go everywhere to watch him box. The Dartford Destroyer. I got my dad his biography for xmas. The old man will be gutted.
  • Options
    Told my da this morning, when I saw this thread. He loves his boxing and used to go to all the big title fights in Belfast and then here when he moved here in late 50s. Da remembered him well and started reeling off the fights he had and which da saw. Lovely to see my da when he thinks of those days, but very sad that it is as a result of a passing...RIP Mr Charnley.
  • Options
    I remember him well.

RIP
  • Options
    Found out last night that Dave Charnley was the boxer who stepped in to help the Orpington Club when Cooper dropped out. He done it free of charge and I have a picture taken with him at the time as he presented me with personality of the year trophy. Unfortunately, I wasn't good enough to get one that had anything to do with the noble art.
    RIP Dave -
  • Options
    lol Masicat i won 10 of my first 11 fights and my club presented me with the endeavour award which usually went to losers who never win a fight but are game
  • Options
    He was a true gentleman.
  • Options
    Couple of nice tribrutes in The Reporter (Dartford edition).