Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hong Kong

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
I'm moving out there in a few months. Anyone been before? Got any advice, things to see etc?

Cheers

Chunes

Comments

• Options
    I live out there for about 5 months per year. Will be great to have another Addick in Hong Kong.

Where will you be living?
  • Options
    Phooey!
  • Options
    Wheres Hong Kong Addick when you need him
  • Options
    I'll be staying with my mate in Sham Lui Po at first. May move elsewhere when I find a job. Could you recommend a good area?
  • Options
    Lived there for 3 years, not been back for 12 now.. which irks me greatly.
  • Options
    Misread thread title. Was expecting to read about a big hairy ape.
  • Options
    Try not to get chased out of the country by armed police is my advice.
  • Options
    Try not to get chased out of the country by armed police is my advice.
    Cheers pal. I think I learnt my lesson there.
  • Options
    I've been there many times, though never lived thre, and will be there at the end of this month for a couple of days. If you like walking/climbing, there's some great areas in the New Territories where you can feel miles from the hustle and bustle of HK city centre. As for the busier areas, I used to like Kowloon, but all my business is on HK Island nowadays, so I rarely escape the island. However, you can get away from it on the island, the walk along the Dragon's Back is great fun (assuming you like that sort of thing).
  • Options
    Best area to live in HK for ex-pats on a budget is Lamma Island. No cars, no-hi-rise, nice mixed community and 20 mins ferry ride from Central.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You know this website makes the world a very small place....

Does the guy wearing the Charlton shirt on the MTR yesterday post on here? He'll know what I mean if he does.
  • Options
    Will be over in May, planning on catching some Hong Kong PL games. Will also be there for the final game of the English Premier League season. Does anyone know of any good sports bars that will be open late at night showing the games?
  • Options
    edited March 22
    follett said:
    Will be over in May, planning on catching some Hong Kong PL games. Will also be there for the final game of the English Premier League season. Does anyone know of any good sports bars that will be open late at night showing the games?
    I’m four or five years out of touch, but you’ll be spoilt for choice in Wanchai area on/near Lockhart Road. Delaneys is a big pub with multiple screens although I preferred Old China Hand (where I saw us lose to Northwich Victoria). Plenty of choice though in that area.
  • Options
    follett said:
    Make sure you know the correct words to the Chinese national anthem or you could find yourself locked up. 

Probably not in Delaney's though to be fair. 
  • Options
    I would need evidence that shows people being locked up for not knowing the correct words to the Chinese National Anthem.
    The Chinese regime is reprehensible, but I need to understand how many anthem criminals are imprisoned in China.
  • Options
    edited March 22
    Thanks for the recommendations!

As for the national anthem there have been arrests for people booing. I think the famous one was after Hong Kong won only their second Olympic gold in history at the last Olympics and people watching in public back home booed as the anthem was played. Likewise there's been a couple of incidents at national team games.

I think the worry now is with the new security law being passed, crackdowns on such behaviour are likely to be more regular and severe.