Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northern Ireland - places to visit

Going to NI for a wedding in the summer, so me, LadyRomford and our daughter are going to spend a week or two over there as we've never been before.
Any advice for good places to visit, sights, nice walks (bearing in mind we've got a three year old with us) etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    What part ?
  • Options
    where are you going mate exactly?
  • Options
    Port Rush
  • Options
    Spent a bit of time there in a previous job, I would recommend Port Stuart or Port Rush as they were lovely spots, no rush to return to West Belfast or Bogside... Make sure you have an Ulster Fry for breakfast, they are superb, Bushmills for a distillery tour is a good day out
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    @Se10 and @Operationpig
    Thinking of just touring the place to be honest. Thought we'd book a few B&Bs on a route starting and finishing in Belfast and pootle around visiting nice places!
    So no plan yet!
  • Options
    Visit The Mournes. Fantastically beautiful.
  • Options
    I am a local . Portrush is on the Antrim coast . It's surrounded by miles of beautiful beaches and mountain ranges. It's five miles from the Giants Causeway / Bushmills Distillery. Make sure you visit Belfast . Belfast Zoo is a good spot for young children although it is all up hill. The views of the city are excellent. The shopping is plentiful. Odessy Arena for ice hockey , lady ga ga concerts etc opera house for theatre. I used to take my late brother in law Bobby Curtis round most of these locations. He cursed me with being a Charlton supporter although he was a Liverpool fan!

• Options
    Thanks all. I'll look into these suggestions.
    Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    Giants Causeway area great walking along the cliff tops. And Bushmills is close by. If you like whisky (what's not to like?) it's a must visit. Terrific hotel bar right in the village centre too.
  • Options
    Antrim Coast as suggested above - lots of lovely places to visit here - plus the areas around Strangford Lough and Lough Earne have much to offer. Strangford is quieter, with small villages and ancient sites. Castle Ward is great - should be good for a family visit. Lough Earne is a bit more developed with boat trips etc. The Titanic centre opens in Belfast in April - based at the shipyard where it was actually built. The Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh gives a fascinating social insight and has a special exhibition about emigration linked to the Titanic. You could also take a day trip to Rathlin Island off the North Coast - depending on exact time of year, you might see puffins (there till end July/early Aug).

Take a look at this website: www.seeirelanddifferently.co.uk if you wish - run by my husband, who is from Belfast, but now based in Scotland. These holidays are individually tailormade, based on small hotels and guest houses - may not be suitable depending on your budget, but feel free to use for ideas and give me a shout if we could be of any further help. "Giants, Saints and Titanic" on the home page is specifically Northern Ireland.

Hope this helps - sure you will have a wonderful time!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am a local . Portrush is on the Antrim coast . It's surrounded by miles of beautiful beaches and mountain ranges. It's five miles from the Giants Causeway / Bushmills Distillery. Make sure you visit Belfast . Belfast Zoo is a good spot for young children although it is all up hill. The views of the city are excellent. The shopping is plentiful. Odessy Arena for ice hockey , lady ga ga concerts etc opera house for theatre. I used to take my late brother in law Bobby Curtis round most of these locations. He cursed me with being a Charlton supporter although he was a Liverpool fan!

Nice one Paddy. There is a thread on here re your late brother in law, im not sure if you ever saw it?

• Options
    'Portrush is on the Antrim coast . It's surrounded by miles of beautiful beaches and mountain ranges. It's five miles from the Giants Causeway / Bushmills Distillery.'

I too can vouch for this. Visited all of the above when I stayed with friends in Cookstown.
  • Options
    'Portrush is on the Antrim coast . It's surrounded by miles of beautiful beaches and mountain ranges. It's five miles from the Giants Causeway / Bushmills Distillery.'

I too can vouch for this. Visited all of the above when I stayed with friends in Cookstown.
    This and if driving, take the Glens of Antrim route from Giants Causeway, visit Dunlee (sp.) castle and cross the rope bridge at Carrick a rede and then the truly amazing scenic route down the coast to Belfast... Really awesome when its sunny:-)
  • Options
    silent valley and the mourne mountains
  • Options
    The Aquarium at Newtownards is worth a visit.

As Weegie Addick mentioned a Day trip To Rathlin Island is woth a visit as well, A Boat goes to the island from Ballycastle.

Antrim and the causeway is a must.

Botanical gardens in Belfast is also worth a look.
  • Options
    Don't forget the rope bridge...!
  • Options
    Don't forget the rope bridge...!
    Carrick-a-rede rope bridge well worth doing...but probably not with a 3 year old! As said, the Antrim Coast road is fantastic and you'll find plenty of signs/tour maps to take in the Glens of Antrim. Some of the most beautiful scenery you can imagine.
  • Options
    Lovely country. If you get a chance do the taxi tour of Shankhill and Falls. Fascinating stuff.
  • Options
    The Antrim coast road is beautiful. One of my favourite all time things to do.
  • Options
    Lovely country. If you get a chance do the taxi tour of Shankhill and Falls. Fascinating stuff.
    Morts - a couple of work colleagues were over last week and had a couple of hours before their flight back and took the tour. The driver, an old boy with the gift of the gab, starts the tour outside the Europa Hotel and announces that it "is the most bombed hotel in the world...in fact, I once bombed it meself!!".

Not sure how many tourists make their excuses and get out again at that stage! My two, with no Irish affiliation at all, thoroughly enjoyed it and were amazed at some of the history which they had never been taught about in school here.