Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The best Charlton book?

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
A long time fan, but a new member on here. I was wondering what do you think is the best ever book written about CAFC. For me it's Rick Everitt's "Battle for the Valley" and Richard Redden's History "Valley of Tears, Valley of Joy".

I'd love to get hold of another copy of "Battle for The Valley" to pass on to someone, does anyone know where I can get a copy, I've tried Amazon and Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    Amazon actually have one at the moment.
  • Options
    Got mine on Amazon just before Crimbo
    Used but in great nick
  • Options
    Surely the best is yet to come?. Acworth's book isn't out yet.
  • Options
    Quite a few reasonable ones to choose from but I'd have Battle for The Valley at the top, followed by Garry Nelson's books, and Richard Redden not far behind.

Special mention to Colin Cameron for Home and Away and The Valiant 500 ... but we are definitely need updated versions.

Also love Many Miles ... by Charlie Connelly ... but then again all his books are great.
  • Options
    Did you not enjoy from porto cabins to Porto captains stonemuse? Mick Collins. That's a good one.
  • Options
    Did you not enjoy from porto cabins to Porto captains stonemuse? Mick Collins. That's a good one.
    strange, just before you posted that I noticed Mick's book on the shelf ... definitely should be included ... excellent
  • Options
    Life with then Millionaires - Eddie Fermani. How times have changed...
  • Options
    Life with then Millionaires - Eddie Fermani. How times have changed...
    Just had a quick look at my copy ... blimey 1956!
  • Options
    Best general history: Richard Redden - Valley of Tears Valley of Joy
    Best book about the ground and the politics behind the club: Rick Everitt - Battle for The Valley
    Best book about games: Colin Cameron - Home and Away
    Best book about players: Colin Cameron - Valiant 500
    Best book for giving a day to day insight: Garry Nelson - Left Foot Forward
    Most readily available/reasonably priced book on ebay: Paul Clayton - The Essential History
    One to avoid: Richard Redden - The Story of Charlton Athletic (Its the original version of Valley of Tears... better to get the updated version)
  • Options
    Best general history: Richard Redden - Valley of Tears Valley of Joy
    Best book about the ground and the politics behind the club: Rick Everitt - Battle for The Valley
    Best book about games: Colin Cameron - Home and Away
    Best book about players: Colin Cameron - Valiant 500
    Best book for giving a day to day insight: Garry Nelson - Left Foot Forward
    Most readily available/reasonably priced book on ebay: Paul Clayton - The Essential History
    One to avoid: Richard Redden - The Story of Charlton Athletic (Its the original version of Valley of Tears... better to get the updated version)
    Best book about one season - Many Miles ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2012
    All of Stig's list (excellent summation) plus

Many Miles = Charlie Connelly
    The Rise and Rise of - Mick Colliins

The three biogs (Seed, Firmain, Bartram) are worth getting as is Soccer from the inside by Seed.

The Bartram book in the club shop by Mike Blake is excellent. Really well illustrated.

Richard Redden's Addicks Cartoon is also worth getting as is "when the robbin stopped bobbin" if you want to re-live the past three or four years and it's written by a lifer.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Charlton Athletic football club, images of England by Dave Ramzan is pretty good. It has shots from Charlton Heights to the 98 play off final.
  • Options
    Ackworth's book is meant to be out this week. £6.99
  • Options
    Of the more recent autobiographies Curbs' 'Valley of Dreams' was disappointing, but the worst was easily 'Lennie': I almost sent it to the charity shop when we moved but couldn't spoil the collection. As said above, Garry Nelson's 'Left Foot' books are really interesting and KP's 'No Substitute' is enjoyable too.
    You might be inrerested to know that 'There's Only One Neil Redfearn' is available from Amazon for 1p. : a steal!
  • Options
    Where can we get it Henry? Will there be a launch in the club shop on Tuesday night?
  • Options
    Where can we get it Henry? Will there be a launch in the club shop on Tuesday night?
    Not sure TBH, just what he was saying on Not606

• Options
    I love all Charlton books, and fair play to all those who put the effort in to creating them. Battle for the Valley is obviously a good un, a terrific section in the updated Simon Inglis book 'football grounds....', really good. There is even Nolans Diary. Loved the Charlie Connelly, and the Garry Nelson, and all the historical info/stats based books.
    Funnily enough for me the Mick Collins book was a let down, and I found I didn't finish it, or want to. from memory the 80% I read was a bit disjointed, and perhaps cliche ridden with no sort of structure I could get to grips with. Others like it so I will say no more.
    What I'm really waiting for is the opera (or musical) 'The History of Charlton Athletic' to open soon at the Greenwich Theatre.

Jimmy Seed to be played (sung) by the excellent Bill Nighy to punish him for being a Palace fan...at least he was born local to them.
  • Options
    None of these on kindle, im assuming...
  • Options
    Left Foot Forward is one of the best football books ever published never mind the Charlton connection. Second only to the Tony Cascarino biography imo.
  • Options
    A mate of mine, an Arsenal fan, has read Gary Nelson's book and said it was the best footy book has read, and he has read a lot of those.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone read Curbs' book. My brother told me it's not a classic.
  • Options
    The best book isn't out yet, Killers autobiography.
  • Options
    I know it's not getting raves on here, but I thought it was ok, but really pretty bland from someone who I am sure had seen much more than he let on. Garry Nelson's books (Left Foot in the Grave is also well worth reading) I have read two or three times and really enjoyed them both.

• Options
    Understated like the man himself but an absorbing read for all that.

His recollection of Pierre Bolangi and his tragic death is particularly touching.
  • Options
    The best one has not been wrote yet

From tinpot league champions to champions league champions

By sir Chris Powell (aka englands 2nd world cup winning manger )
  • Options
    A mate of mine, an Arsenal fan, has read Gary Nelson's book and said it was the best footy book has read, and he has read a lot of those.
    Interesting, an old friend, an arsenal fan who is a lawyer spent an hour telling me about the best football book he ever read was Left Foot Forward and he got it down from his shelf and gave it to me. I still have it. This was years ago and he was well pleased when i told him that i had arranged Garry Nelson to come and speak at a City Addicks meet. I still must get Garry to sign my copy.

• Options
    Thanks for the tip off Half Nelson!

I completely forgot Garry's excellent Left Foot Forward, a great read!
  • Options
    Interesting, an old friend, an arsenal fan who is a lawyer spent an hour telling me about the best football book he ever read was Left Foot Forward and he got it down from his shelf and gave it to me. I still have it. This was years ago and he was well pleased when i told him that i had arranged Garry Nelson to come and speak at a City Addicks meet. I still must get Garry to sign my copy.

Got him to sign both of his books that night.
  • Options

Don't do that.....an unsigned copy is much rarer!
  • Options
    Garry Nelson - Left Foot Forward -- superb read