Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dab hand with a mastic gun?

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
I've got an urgent job in welling needing doing if interested?

(no fence gags or double entendres pls)

:D

oh go on then if you must..

Comments

• Options
    I feel for you Raz, I am hopeless when it comes to applying and smoothing mastic. I used a bloke for both our bathrooms and kitchen and it cost me a small fortune, he charged by the meter.
  • Options
    Razil, a cup of 50/50 diluted fairy liquid and a teaspoon for doing around the bath/worktops, the detergent keeps from sticking until your happy with the finish.
  • Options
    ta, might give it a go tomorrow night, can't be worse than the Father in laws effort
  • Options
    i saw something that suggested masking tape to get a nice line, its onto black tiles from the bath you see.

Views?
  • Options
    i saw something that suggested masking tape to get a nice line, its onto black tiles from the bath you see.

Views?
    Yep. My chosen method plus using the water/washing up liquid mix and my finger. Keep your finger as clean as you can in between each run though before wetting it. Found that the tools they sell you, spoons, dowel, etc just a bit fiddly for me.

• Options
    do you fill the bath up with water too? I think this is what went wrong the time before, bloke who did it bodged it and it split away very quickly..
  • Options
    Does anybody know someone who can fix banjo strings?
  • Options
    Ouch!!!
  • Options
    do you fill the bath up with water too? I think this is what went wrong the time before, bloke who did it bodged it and it split away very quickly..
    I do if it's plastic but wouldn't bother if it's enamelled as that shouldn't be moving anywhere.

Jeez this must be boring thread for non diyers :-D
  • Options
    it is plastic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it is plastic
    Fill it first, there will be a bit of give
  • Options
    As above
    Also if I were you, buy a finnishing tool kit. they are sold in screw fix, less than a tenner. They contain different size rads, makes a neat job
  • Options
    rads??
  • Options
    fill what with what? :)
  • Options
    fill what with what? :)
    Fill the bath with water so it is as heavy as possible before you apply the mastic, the theory is after the mastic has dried and you pull the plug the bath will rise as it gets lighter thus causing the mastic to compress.

If you apply the mastic to an empty bath you run the risk of it stretching and splitting when you fill the bath because plastic baths can move a little when filled.
  • Options
    oh yes sorry i thought you meant fill the gap with filler or something :)
  • Options
    No worries, fill the bath right up to the overflow because you have to take into account nobody is sitting in it which again is extra weight.
  • Options
    No worries, fill the bath right up to the overflow because you have to take into account nobody is sitting in it which again is extra weight.
    Archimedes ?

• Options
    get in the bath and then do it, to save water!
  • Options
    You then have to stay in the bath until the sealant cures!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rads??
    Different size radii on the on the corners of the tool, so you pick the radius that suits.
    http://www.dolphinsealants.co.uk/shop/fugi-kit-3.html

Or you could lick your finger and run it round the silicon bead, Ive done that plenty of times in the past.
  • Options
    i Know a company that were kicked off a site because one of their guys was seen licking his finger before smoothing silicon.
  • Options
    You can get a water based sealant from Screwfix, think it's called Evo Stick Smart Stuff or something like that. It works well and is easier to clean up if you make a mistake as you can wipe it with a damp cloth/sponge until it cures. You can also neaten the edges up with a damp kitchen sponge.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-shower-bath-kitchen-sealant-white-310ml/44138

This is the stuff. I've used it before and it worked well for me but it wasn't around a bath. Mixed reviews on the Screwfix website - seems you either love it or hate it.

I'm no DIY expert but I've done a little bit of mastic work. My advice is don't be tentative. I don't mean squeeze the gun as hard as you can and run it along the gap quickly but if you go in like you're expecting to screw it up, you will. Go in cofidently and try to keep a nice steady pace and even prssure on the gun, you want to just see a little 'bow wave' of sealent moving along in front of the nozzle.
  • Options
    rads??

Or you could lick your finger and run it round the silicon bead, Ive done that plenty of times in the past.
    Still talking about DIY?
  • Options
    i Know a company that were kicked off a site because one of their guys was seen licking his finger before smoothing silicon.
    If you do it for a living it is bad practice but in your own home round a bath or sink a wetted finger will do, the finger in the mouth is optional. Or a bit of 6mm dowel will do the job if you dont want to get your fingers mucky .