Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Manchester Utd Yth v Charlton Ath Yth - FA Youth Cup Quarter Final 29 February 2012 - Match Thread

Comments

• Did Man Utd score in extra time? If so what minute?
    90+7
  • Thanks for posting the stream an enjoyable match ,shame about the result.
  • Managed to watch most of the match, been said already but great performance from what look like some very promising players.

Shame they changed the number of subs back to 5.
  • Future looks good

I thought they looked fantastic tonight, unlucky lads, the futures bright...
  • I am not sure Messrs Avory and Hart will see it quite so sympathetically - they will feel that was very much an opportunity missed. The quality of the football we played though was first class. At this level you expect maximum effort and hard work but the level of skills, comfort on the ball, understanding and invention shown augurs well for the future of many of the participants.

Each of the chances spurned and the goals scored were quality pieces of play. It was even hard to fault them for the goals conceded - their 2nd was from a cracking cross - though you would perhaps have expected Barmby to have been closed down better for the first.

I sincerely hope the club can rise to the challenge of taking this talent (8 of the side tonight are on or due to be on professional contracts) to the senior game. With no decent standard of reserve football it is a big ask.

That is for the future. Tonight was a tough lesson but every one of those performing can take pride in the way they represented the club.

• Suspect we will be in a reserve league next season.
  • edited February 2012
    Suspect we will be in a reserve league next season.
    Not sure about that, bigger clubs have dropped out, the poor standard being one the reasons.
    Not sure about that, bigger clubs have dropped out, the poor standard being one the reasons.
    we should walk it then.
  • In a meeting at work so couldn't follow this live but just read this thread from the top. We seemed to be unlucky and 10 minutes added on. Like someone said - Fergies watch.
    We have a great future though with these youngsters. Heads high.
  • Just got home from the match.
    What a marvellous display of football from both sides. We were the better side In the first half but United stepped it up in the second. If we hadn't gone down to ten men then I doubt we would have lost. We had plenty of chances but they just wouldn't go in.
    I was very proud to be a Charlton supporter when surrounded by a load of Uniteds.

Congratulations to the team and their management, they are my champions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cue Utd Raiding our youngsters again....well done boys.
  • I was also at the game which was very entertaining to watch. Alongside our stars the number 7 and 9 for United also looked very good. We certainly deserved to win but going to ten men was the turning point and you could see that our guys were out on their feet towards the end.
  • Was 10 mins added justified or was it 'Fergie time'?
  • Was 10 mins added justified or was it 'Fergie time'?
    Justified. There had been a number of players, mainly ours, going down with cramp and then one cariied off after a bad Man U challenge.

• Ho hum Silva lining......!
  • I would just like to say well done to the U18s for a valiant effort.Drove up there to watch them after coming back from Chesterfield the previous night.Have clocked up the miles but it was worth it.I have been a regular watcher of the Under 18s for 20 years and this is definately the best squad of players i have seen.My only gripe is that Steve Avory does not get the credit he deserves.He was the under 16 coach for many years and the lads playing in the U18s at the moment have all been brought through by Steve.The Under 18s are now benefitting from Steve's coaching but it seems that Paul Hart gets the credit.That is not to say that Paul hasn't done a good job but we need to recognise other people at the academy.
  • Yes it is. Very honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never in four years have I been prouder of nor more gutted for the under 18s. Can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said, but I look forward to seeing them attempt to bounce back at Sparrows on Saturday and hope any of you lot who were as impressed as I was last night and also can't make Bournemouth will join me. The lads have four games in hand and will top their group if they win them all.
  • A fine effort by the boys
    I agree with the comments about Steve Avory, but Paul Hart has a great reputation for bringing though players, and his presence will help attract and keep decent talent.

Hopefully, 1 or 2 will get a chance on the bench before the end of the season.
  • Hopefully a fair few of the older ones go out on loan next season to Conf/League 1/2 clubs to get some match experience under their belts. Hi Ho Sho Silva looks the real deal...
    Agreed, we certainly need to be, low standard is surely better than not playing regular games.
    I'm sure that CP said at start of season that we had been too late to enter a team in a league. Anybody else confirm ?

• edited March 2012
    Never in four years have I been prouder of nor more gutted for the under 18s. Can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said, but I look forward to seeing them attempt to bounce back at Sparrows on Saturday and hope any of you lot who were as impressed as I was last night and also can't make Bournemouth will join me. The lads have four games in hand and will top their group if they win them all.
    I thought you weren't allowed down there anymore without a pass?
  • Valley gold
  • Always believe in your soul.
  • They did the club proud. Well done boys.

• Remember Charlton Life and Bromley Addicks have been raising money for the CAFC Academy all season. £2,000 already donated and over £3,000 raised.

Look out for the current and upcoming auctions. It all helps.

• Never in four years have I been prouder of nor more gutted for the under 18s. Can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said, but I look forward to seeing them attempt to bounce back at Sparrows on Saturday and hope any of you lot who were as impressed as I was last night and also can't make Bournemouth will join me. The lads have four games in hand and will top their group if they win them all.
    I thought you weren't allowed down there anymore without a pass?
    Good point actually, I forgot about that. Understand why they do it but still sucks.