Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Junior Reds Away Trips (1990's)

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Is there anyone on here that used to on the Junior Red away trips in the 1990's? Used to love the fact they organised games against the junior rivals from the other club in the morning before the CAFC game in the afternoon.

Some great memories of playing on the playing fields behind Port Vale's ground (the bleakest place in europe!)......at Portsmouth's training ground.......and the grudge matches with Watford!

Fun times!!

Comments

• Options
    i remember playing on the plastic pitch at LutonTown.
  • Options
    Used to go on quite a few of these, remember the Watford games, also some good matches with Bristol City. Always remember playing Millwall at 5 a side, on a Saturday in a leisure centre. We drew but I remember having a shot in the last few seconds that smashed against the bar! was gutted! The match at the old Den afterwards was called off
  • Options
    We used to make the kits for the junior reds in them days
  • Options
    Used to go on quite a few of these, remember the Watford games, also some good matches with Bristol City. Always remember playing Millwall at 5 a side, on a Saturday in a leisure centre. We drew but I remember having a shot in the last few seconds that smashed against the bar! was gutted! The match at the old Den afterwards was called off
    I played in the Bristol City games, I remember the now Sky News city editor scoring a screamer! And yes I played against Millwall...it was at Lewisham Shopping Centre in a gym that was above the shops!

• Options
    For £10 it was such a bargain
  • Options
    Used to go on the Junior Reds' coach with my daughter in the early 90's although of course she didn't play in the matches.

Met lots of lovely people and often wonder whether the kids are still supporting Charlton.

A lovely young lady served me at the ticketing window a couple of weeks ago and when she heard my name, introduced herself as Emily Perfect who used to travel regularly on the coach with her Mum. My, how she's grown !
  • Options
    i remember playing on the plastic pitch at LutonTown.
    funny you say that, i still got a tuft of that plastic pitch in a little zip tight bag.

• Options
    I used to love the away trips & the matches. Bob Petty & Jackie Moynihan made sure all us kids had a great fun day(& had the patience of saints).
    I used to go in the late 80's/early 90's. I remember playing against Forest, Luton(not at Kenilworth Road though), Sheffield MASSIVE, Aston Villa(at their training ground) & numerous more games. There was also matches at Sparrows Lane from time to time, & I remember a particularly niggly match against Millwall(88/89).

Great times, & certainly worth a tenner!
  • Options
    I remember these fondly - op right about Port Vale.

My son really enjoyed it and when he scored a goal at Fratton Park he was so thrilled.

I remember the trip to Birmingham for the tv game as well. Coach attacked by Brum morons, we rolled out of there lying down in the aisle as the coach was bricked.

One of the best things the club did to get the kids back in my opinion, don't know if they still do it but they should.

I also enjoyed watching the relay races around the Valley at half time that was organised for Jr Reds against the away kids.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I was a member of the Junior reds in the late 80's. Remember playing against teams like southampton, Watford, Luton, QPR ( played on the plastic pitch ), Nottingham Forest amongst others. We were one of the few away fans to get to watch a game at Luton when away fans were banned. I have a team picture somewhere of when we played against QPR. Those were the days!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved these. Loved playing the games before. Loved being mascot at Portsmouth.

Can't say I see many of the people that went on these around the Valley anymore.
  • Options
    Those were indeed great, great days.

We used to get the JR coach with Jackie (brown hair, glasses), Eve Waterman and a chap called Graham who had a real bugbear about Robert Lee, between about 1987-89.

We were the rowdy lot at the back of the coach always having bundles and driving the adults up the wall.

We played a couple of the training ground games at away grounds, including one at Norwich where I scored the only goal in our 1-0 win, and best of all at Sincil Bank, home of the mighty Lincoln City before a pre-season friendly where we won 6-0.

Brilliant days, great memories of some brilliant away wins in the old First Division under Lennie, probably one of the best was the 1-0 away win at Southampton in 1988 which helped keep us up that year.
  • Options
    Loved these. Loved playing the games before. Loved being mascot at Portsmouth.

Can't say I see many of the people that went on these around the Valley anymore.
    They're probably a bit taller now.

• Options
    My son is still a season ticket holder at 6ft 3 he is a bit bigger than he was then!
  • Options
    I'm a bit bigger but on the waistline but not in height
  • Options
    used to love these days..... if only for the chance to spend all day winding kleinman up....!!
  • Options
    I absolutely loved these days out. Started playing for the Junior Reds in late 80's, remember our first match away to the MASSIVE and getting spanked 9 nil. Remember playing at the likes of Luton on the plastic, Forest, Southampton, Derby Coventry Villa and Watford.

I remember the Southampton game, Garth Crooks scoring and coming straight over to the 50 or so of us in the corner. Also outsinging the Luton fans when no away support allowed.
  • Options
    Pleased so many of you remember with fondness!

I went from 89 onwards so the coach was headed up by Alan Smith, Peter Barratt and Ian.....my god these guys had patience with the rowdy lot at the back of the coach. Big shout out also to the poor coach driver Graham haha.

I remember one trip, again to Port Vale, but this time for an evening game where we actually spent the afternoon at Alton Towers! (Theme parks and football in the same day wow!) Big belated respect to the guys who organised these things :)
  • Options
    I remember us having a big old row playing footy away at Derby.... Oh and the fun at ther service stations!!
  • Options
    Ah, Ian! (Marsh - I Think?) I forgot about him. Me & my brother used to call him Roger Mellie - The Man On The Telly, as to us, he did bare a striking resemblance. :-D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ian Marsh, Ian Marsh... Ian Ian Marsh.... he's got no hair, but we don't care.... Ian Ian Marsh.... not sure he appreciated us singing that!

Happy days.