Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ion Hamilton Benn - DSO

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
One of our earliest club presidents was the Greenwich Conservative MP - Ion Hamilton Benn, he appears quite instrumental in the clubs move to turn professional and develop The Valley, (though at the time it was locally known as the Swamps and more officially as Charlton Enclosure).

Sir Ion, who had been linked to the club since its 1905 formation offered to be guarantor for £700 of the £1000 needed to prepare the area for football (this included "borrowing" a couple of Army Huts for changing rooms). I have looked into his war service and he is a fascinating character. Before the Great War he was the Honourary Colonel of the 20th (Woolwich & Blackheath) Battalion of the London Regiment. This Battalion contaned many players, officials and supporters of the club after it was agreed that the club should wind up for the duration of the war and fight the Greater Game overseas in 1915 (the first football club in the country to make this patriotic decision). Given Hamilton-Benns connections with the regiment and club he is likely to have been instrumental in this.

As a chairman of the Port of London Authority and given Greenwich's nautical links he was also a member of the Royal Naval Reserve and it was this side of his military life that he pursued during the war. As a commander of a Motor Launch fleet, part of the Dover Patrol he was awarded the French Croix de Guerre, three times Mentioned in Despatches for bravery and ultimately the Distinguished Service Order, (second only to the Victoria Cross in precedence).

The citation for the award "Cdr. (act. Capt.) Ion Hamilton Benn, D.S.O., M.P., R.N.V.R. This officer led the motor launches in M.L.105 with conspicuous ability and success. This is the third occasion Capt. Benn has led the inshore motor launch division off Ostend under a very heavy fire. Capt. Benn has set a very fine example of bravery and devotion to duty to the officers and men of the motor launches of the Dover Patrol, which he has commanded for nearly three years, and has thus contributed greatly to the success which has attended the gallant efforts of these small craft in carrying out the dangerous duties assigned to them during these operations off the Belgian coast." only hints at the "Boys Own" nature of his actions, he was also a key character in the incredible Zeebrugge Raid on St Georges Day 1918.

As far as I can find Sir Ion is the most highly decorated member of our grand old football club and a highly intersting bloke to boot, anyone know any more about him?

Comments

• Facinating stuff...........thanks matey!
  • Great stuff.

His son John also served in WWI.

Ion was a director of a timber firm. I wonder if there was a connection to the Glickstiens?
  • Hello. I was in Greenwich for the weekend just gone and bought a battered copy of 'INDEX OF MINUTES OF THE PROCEEDINGS OF THE COUNCIL - NOV 1904 - NOV 1905 from an antique shop. I haven't progressed very far but interestingly I've come across an entry from a special meeting of the Council on Wednesday 7th December 1904 in which it is noted: 'The Mayor on behalf of the council cordially welcomed Mr I Hamilton Benn, on his return from abroad and tendered to him the Council's best thanks for his valuable services in connection with the proposed public libraries'.

Since the Council had just received a contribution of £13000 from the American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, providing for the building of the library I wonder if IHB had been instrumental in persuading Mr Carnegie to 'splash the cash'. Perhaps that was the reason for his trip abroad ? Doubtless IHB will feature more in the book as I progress. Regards, David
  • Hi David, please do let me know if you get any more of Hamilton Benn in your book, he seems quite instrumental in so many areas, thanks for posting his
  • Fascinating stuff chaps. Carry on digging!
  • The original of that picture you've used is apparently in The Thurrock Museum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/captain-sir-ion-hamilton-benn-1st-bt-cb-dso-td-3051
  • That was a very good and interesting read.
  • very interesting that