Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Frank Carson dies aged 85

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
RIP

Comments

• Options
    Football man; used to be chairman of Colchester. RIP
  • Options
    Met him once in Bear & ragged Staff he was doing a Charity gig. He joined us at the bar in the interval and stood and told jokes for 20 minutes it was like he never came off the stage. A really genuine funny man. God Bless him.
  • Options
    Had a soft spot for Charlton as well. RIP funny man.
  • Options
    Remember him at the Valley a few years back, a gag a minute. Proper old school comedian. RIP Frank, you were a cracker.
  • Options
    Was doing a golf day I was at a few years ago. Got there at mid day and went to the bar.
    I played golf, showered, changed and we ate at 8 then frank came on

Absolutely hammered and unintelligible

Shame but a miracle he lived to 85
  • Options
    A bloke who, to me, always seemed funnier than the sum of his parts. That looks a bit odd, but what I mean is that his jokes weren't ever very funny, his act was a bit dated and he was very 'samey' - yet still somehow managed to make me laugh every time I saw him. Know a couple of people who met him at various events over the years - no-one had a bad word to say about him. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    "It's quieter down here now. God help them up there!!"

His family's statement.....it's a cracker!

RIP Frank
  • Options
    Helped fund raise for a childrens charity a good number of years ago at the Bee Hive in New Eltham which, from what I gather, was rather typical of the man.

RIP Frank
  • Options
    It was1985 AA that Frank played the Beehive. There is a photo of the night in the then publicans current establishment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Soundas said:

Well known to many Addicks of course due to several visits he made as guest of Steve Sutherland whilst at Smellhurst/Upton Park and The Valley. Remember him wandering around the various lounges keeping everyone in stitches cracking a stream of jokes wherever he went....a funny man both on and off the stage/TV.
    Steve knew him well and no doubt he'll have a tear or two today.
    RIP Frank RIP.........and thanks for the laughs mate.
  • Options
    It is of course said that he's died, but how nice it is to have someone on a RIP thread who everyone seemed to like and respect. Thanks for the comments from those that knew him, I never did but it's good to hear that he was as funny off screen as he was on it.
  • Options
    My step-father is from Northern Ireland and did a bit of stand-up in his time. He was once at a Frank Carson gig and was writing down key words from jokes to help remember them when Frank spotted him and the banter began when he realised they were both Ulstermen. Several months later, Frank bumped into my step-father at Shooters Hill Golf Club and immediately remembered him and made him feel a million dollars. Class Act.
  • Options
    Soundas said:

Well known to many Addicks of course due to several visits he made as guest of Steve Sutherland whilst at Smellhurst/Upton Park and The Valley. Remember him wandering around the various lounges keeping everyone in stitches cracking a stream of jokes wherever he went....a funny man both on and off the stage/TV.
    Steve knew him well and no doubt he'll have a tear or two today.
    RIP Frank RIP.........and thanks for the laughs mate.
    alot of those visits organised by my old man who knew him, I met him a couple of times, very funny man.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP xxx
  • Options
    Met him at a dinner many years ago, in the hotel bar after the event continued to tell jokes and tales until he was to drunk to remember the punch line then said it was time for bed, he loved his Jamesons if I remember rightly, good man RIP
  • Options
    met him at butlins when i was a kid lovely man had some photos done, he was so warm and friendly and just on funny mode all the time. RIP.

• Options
    I remember always enjoying his infectious humour as a kid. As i got older I realised that his jokes were not always the best but there was something about him that put a smile on your face and made you feel happier. He was a lot of people's favourite. Maybe it was the way he told 'em. RIP.
  • Options
    I get exactly what Leroy means. A lovely man, a scattergun approach to telling jokes, some awful, some where you knew exactly what was coming as a punchline, but always made me smile, laugh and just downright cry with laughter!! Must have been the way he told 'em! God bless Frank...RIP, but keep on telling the jokes up there :)
  • Options
    Done a few gigs down the Dartford Irish club and met him there. My parents loved him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Bumped into him a few years ago at the Valley, 2nd half Charlton V Newcastle FA cup, Mark Kinsella had just scored our equaliser. Very nice bloke, said his grandsons were Charlton Supporters. Seemed a great bloke. RIP Frank, you will be sadly missed!
  • Options
    Got his autograph as a kid in the 70s, and would agree he seemed exactly the same off-stage as on. RIP.
  • Options
    It WAS the way he told them.

He was a cracker.

RIP
  • Options
    It WAS the way he told them.

He was a cracker.

RIP
    But now a croaker.
    RIP.

• Options
    We were in the bar at Selhurst when we played Millwall. I had taken one of my customers, who was a Lions fan. We were chatting to Steve Sutherland when Frank came over and joined in the conversation, he cracked a joke and my mate said "it's the way he tells them" in a very good Ulster accent. Frank let out a laugh like machine gun paused and just said ( in that wonderful Northern Irish accent ) "C**t". We were laughing for about ten minutes.

RIP Frank.
  • Options
    You knew the punchline 'most everytime !
    Good clean fun.

RIP Mr Carson.
  • Options
    We were in the bar at Selhurst when we played Millwall. I had taken one of my customers, who was a Lions fan. We were chatting to Steve Sutherland when Frank came over and joined in the conversation, he cracked a joke and my mate said "it's the way he tells them" in a very good Ulster accent. Frank let out a laugh like machine gun paused and just said ( in that wonderful Northern Irish accent ) "C**t". We were laughing for about ten minutes.

RIP Frank.
    hahaha, now that would have been funny.
  • Options
    Loved the comedians when I was a kid. Top bloke. RIP big man.
  • Options
    RIP