Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell at number 10

Anyone else notice that Chris Powell was invited to the Prime Minister's seminar on football racism today? See the link from the Daily Mail - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104889/ITV-forced-apologise-reporter-PMs-football-racism-summit-calls-black-players-coloured.html
(Sorry about the link using this paper but can't find the story anywhere else)

An important issue undoubtedly. But after last night's disappointing performance I do wonder whether it might have been better for SCP to have been at the training ground this morning shoring things up for what looks a very tricky game on Saturday rather than at something that I suspect will just be a talking shop?

Comments

• Options
    Under the picture of powell it says he is a former England manager, does anyone remember when this was?
  • Options
    Under the picture of powell it says he is a former England manager, does anyone remember when this was?
    Yes most of us do
  • Options
    Yes most of us do
    They are writing this 5 years in the future

• Options
    Slightly misleading.He used to take the odd training session when Sven was busy banging Ulrika.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    To be fair, after the success we've had this season, I think we can allow him to go to Number 10 for the morning without being too annoyed.
  • Options
    Powell at number ten? Fair enough. But I always prefered him at number three...
  • Options
    No players in the day after a midweek match. It's his day off.
  • Options
    So who was No 1, pop pickers ?
  • Options
    Day off or not, you'd have thought he might have wanted to watch Cort, Wagstaff, Russell, Clarke, Hayes etc. playing for the reserves v Brighton today rather than being part of Call Me Dave's stunt.
  • Options
    Chris Powell has a day off?

Is that what he means by ONE AIM, a day off?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A DAY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? What the hell is he doing taking a day off when our season is falling apart by the hour? He needs to stop messing around thinking about his future career as Mayor of London and concentrate on saving our bacon...[rage, rage, rant, rant, whinge, kicks the cat and bursts into tears]

• Options

That's nowt, t' Prime Minista is eur massi' Wednesday fan li' orl t' top blokes 'cos wea'ar fookin' massi'. Megson pops aroun' everee Tuesday for barmcakes 'n ta advise dev on economic policy.
  • Options
    I was rather proud when I heard that our manager was part of a very powerful group of managers, politicians and administrators discussing important issues such as racism and homophobia in football in Downing St.

Also pleased that something is being done, albeit that like all politicians Cameron is milking the publicity.

Paul Elliot and Mark Bright were also there.

I'm sure Alex Dyer is capable enough to look after the reserves for a game and report back on Alonso etc performance
  • Options

Yes We Can...
  • Options
    But did Cameron grill Powell on why he played Green on the left and Wiggins at RB?
  • Options
    A smoke screen for Dave to discuss the knighthood for Chris. Thought it was obvious.
  • Options
    But did Cameron grill Powell on why he played Green on the left and Wiggins at RB?
    Cameron's a right winger anyway.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    A smoke screen for Dave to discuss the knighthood for Chris. Thought it was obvious.
    shhhhush. Don't want that to leak out : - )

• Options
    Or to persuade him to apply for the England job...

" Your country needs you !"
  • Options
    Did Cameron only invite people who agree with him, like his NHS summit meeting earlier this week?

It was a PR stunt. Was anything practical achieved, other than good publicity for the Tories? The issue of racism in football is an important one. But you'd have thought the PM would have had more pressing matters of state to attend to. Bu then that wouldn't have got him so many favourable column inches or a photo op with John Barnes...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heather Rabbats is a bit scary looking.
  • Options
    Was anything practical achieved, other than good publicity for the Tories?
    Mark Bright and Paul Elliot who we're both there think so. It's a starting point as, of course, such major problems will not be solved after one meeting regardless of which political party is hosting it. As a former Labour party press officer yourself you will be aware of the impetus that such high profile meetings can give to causes.

The real step forward is the people I was working with on the Tackling Homophobia group at the FA four or five years ago are now getting the ear of club managers, ministers and senior FA officials. The issue is being discussed in the general media as well.

Long way to go but good news regardless and especially that the Charlton manager, who was formally a trade union boss, was involved

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Mark Bright said on the radio last night that 8 or 9 gay footballers had spoken to Clarke Carlise about "coming out" and one in particular was very close to Graham LeSaux, why was he there?
  • Options
    I think there is a lot hot air around this subject. For me you have to get at the facts. Now we read that Cameron is worried about the lack of black managers in the English game but I bet if I asked him and others who voice concern, how many clubs have appointed black managers he wouldn't know the figure. In fact you always see the figure that there are only 2 Black managers at the moment but never the answer to that far more revealing question.

I mean, We know that Birmingham and us are likely not to be racist in our recruitment policies, but the same must apply to MK Dons, Lincoln, Macclesfield etc... We must remember that a club can only have one manager at a time and every club who has appointed a black one in recent times needs to be removed from the accusations.

Ok, then you do need to ask the question to the other clubs. The fact that they haven't appointed a black manager doesn't mean they are racist of course, but some of them could be - knowingly or more likely unwittingly. Try to positively challenge and help these clubs by all means.

But there are other factors too - You don't get many English managers in the Premiership. And if you are going to have a foreign manager he is unlikely to be black, look at the African national teams and see how many non black managers they have. It is something to do with the football caoching infrastructure in these countries.

Then you have a proportion of clubs who try to bring in a manager who has shown he can bring success, so these managers will come from the existing pool which isn't full of proven black managers. So Paul Ince who had some success and some failures- as many managers do was seen as appealing to clubs because he has shown he can be successful and is still linked to jobs and will no doubt get offered one shortly. He has got noticed and his foot in teh door. It is harder for any inexperienced manager- black or white to get a job or a manager who has not had success with his chance and these managers tend to have to start down the ladder and try to get noticed. If Chrissy keeps his current levels of success up, he will be in demand- I believe, the overhelming motivation for clubs appointing a manager is success and nothing else.

I suspect we think, thank heavens Chrissy loves the club so will be more likely to resist approaches should he continue to be successful. I doubt many of us are thinking, fortunately he is black so no clubs will be interested in him if he does well for us. That is telling, it means we don't really believe that the manager's race is the key factor.

Personally, I think over the next 10 years or so we will see a significant increase in the numbers of black managers but these things can take time.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Was anything practical achieved, other than good publicity for the Tories?
    ... As a former Labour party press officer yourself you will be aware of the impetus that such high profile meetings can give to causes.
    Well I remember setting up a photo-call in Nottingham during the 1987 general election between Kinnock and Clough. And bloody Clough didn't turn up. We kept getting messages that he was delayed, but that he was on his way. In the end he never showed, and Kinnock (and me) were left looking like total prats, as I had about 20 journos and 30 phtographers present, waiting to capture the moment.

BC later rang Kinnock to apologise, claiming he was detained by transfer negotiations. I can't even remember who he was trying to sign. But I lost all respect for him after that.

What was more important, FFS - defeating Thatcher or a new Forest reserve keeper,or whatever the poxy signing was...

• Options
    Don't get me started on labour.. Good to see Powell there.. Good publicity for the club...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    @ Muttley Now we read that Cameron is worried about the lack of black managers in the English game

The only thing Cameron is worried about is pulling in the 'Black' and 'gay' vote .. like most politicos, he'll say, promise and then renege on ANYthing to get a few more months in the driving seat