Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton need a competitive Reserve Team. Discuss

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Now we are not peasants - and we have a fabulous group of youngsters - would it not be a great time to reinstate our reserve side

As we saw last night with Evina - the players on the fringes are not match fit and need time to get their touch back. All last night will have done is wreck his confidence when, in fairness, he's barely kicked a ball in anger for 4 months so I don't really blame him.

It just seems a no brainer for me

Comments

• Options
    No.

Virtually no one plays reserves team football now.
  • Options
    Would be great but who would we play?

To have competitive reserve team games we need a competitive reserve league and there isn't one due to most other teams having done the same as us.
  • Options
    Agree. Was obvious from last night that Waggy and Evina were unable to make the step from training ground to first team and hit the ground running and stake a claim. It's a lot to ask of anyone without any real game time.
  • Options
    Just because no one is doing it makes it beneficial.
  • Options
    Would be sensible to continue to enter the Kent Cup every year to be used for a reserve team despite the small number of games.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just because no one is doing it makes it beneficial.
    But that's the problem. Hardly any one else is doing it so there are no other teams to play. If there was a league the other teams would also get the benefit.
  • Options
    Why is no one else doing it? Even premiership sides?
  • Options
    Would be great but who would we play?

To have competitive reserve team games we need a competitive reserve league and there isn't one due to most other teams having done the same as us.
    This, few years ago we were playing the likes of Lewes reserves - surely reserve friendlies against Prem and Champ sides is better. Until a new reserve league system is set up of course.
  • Options
    Was clear that there were two or three very rusty looking players out there last night....in an ideal world I'd say yes......but unfortunatley it would prove to be a very expensive exercise for so few opponents available.
  • Options
    I think the prem have some sort of U21 reserve league but that is national so West Ham fly their reserve side to a midweek game at Newcastle.

The old leagues collapsed for a number of reasons. Cost, smaller overall squads but bigger match day squads, not competitive (as Scoham said playing Lewes reserves), red and yellow cards counting in league games, the need for games to be played at a stadium rather than a training ground
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was clear that there were two or three very rusty looking players out there last night....in an ideal world I'd say yes......but unfortunatley it would prove to be a very expensive exercise for so few opponents available.
    But some of the "unrusty" players also played poorly. Just having a reserve league wouldn't have made a difference to them.

• Options
    But some of the "unrusty" players also played poorly. Just having a reserve league wouldn't have made a difference to them.

True.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Ressies beat Brighton 3-1 today
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Say we're top of the League,
    well, anyway, top of the Charlton & Brighton Combination Reserve Football League.