Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The league is ours to throw away

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
& that is exactly what we appear to be doing. Sheff Utd are relentless in the same way that we were earlier in the season. Now we seem to have no direction, no system other than hoofing it up the field & a manager who has just made the worst positional change since curbishley played konch at right back. Even though almost everyone in the ground knew that it was a huge mistake (quite simply because i'm sure that Wiggy has a wooden right leg used only for standing on) it took him 82 minutes to do anything about it & then shoved Morrison to RB when we all know he doesn't seem able to play there either.
While we laugh at the wendies falling away, Sheff utd are now only 4 points behind if they win their game in hand. All of a sudden we no longer seem able to grind out results & the title that I thought was definately ours appears to be slipping away. I've been positive & optimistic all season but we haven't been great for a couple of months or more & I see no signs of powell being able to return us to the confident, passing team that we know that we're capable of being. Apart from being over reliant on a hoof upfield & the strikers not scoring at least from open play, what has happened ?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Hear hear.
  • Options
    theres just no creativity anymore. Not sure why. We didn't have a decent shot on target in open play tonight till about 65minutes.
  • Options
    Time for bed I think.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think with the ball falling right and a bit of luck BWP could have a hattrick tonight no probs. It is not going smoothly currently I agree but we did have chances to win that game.
  • Options
    Cedric Evna was poor last night, I dont rate Waggy at all prefer Green instead see what happens with all these games coming up!
  • Options
    Not able to grind out results?

Isn't that exactly what we've been doing whilst not playing with the fluency we enjoyed before Christmas? Perhaps we've been having a prolonged "blip", but rather that wobble and slip into the pack, we've relentlessly picked up enough points to open a huge gap to third place and give ourselves a very good chance of promotion.

It'd be a real shame not to win it now but if Sheff Utd. can maintain their own exceptional form for an even more prolonged period than we have, we might just have to accept it. Alternatively, we might just put four past someone and see the confidence flow again, or see Sheff. Utd. falter themselves. Huddersfield , then Weds were each seen as the big threat during their own purple patches, but fell away while we pushed on & on, losing only twice to date.

Isn't that exactly what "grinding out results" is all about?
  • Options

Isn't that exactly what we've been doing whilst not playing with the fluency we enjoyed before Christmas? Perhaps we've been having a prolonged "blip", but rather that wobble and slip into the pack, we've relentlessly picked up enough points to open a huge gap to third place and give ourselves a very good chance of promotion.

It'd be a real shame not to win it now but if Sheff Utd. can maintain their own exceptional form for an even more prolonged period than we have, we might just have to accept it. Alternatively, we might just put four past someone and see the confidence flow again, or see Sheff. Utd. falter themselves. Huddersfield , then Weds were each seen as the big threat during their own purple patches, but fell away while we pushed on & on, losing only twice to date.

Agree with this post. We have only lost two league games this season and are picking up points. By the general attitude displayed on cl since the game finish you would think we had lost. We didn't. 3 points would have been nice but we are one point closer to promotion. If we win on sat then all this will be forgotten.
  • Options
    Personally if we come 2nd on goal difference from Sheff Weds/Hudds/Dons/Stevanage/Brentford etc I wouldn't care less as the only thing that counts is promotion.

However, as a betting man, I think a lay of us to win the title on betfair is a smart bet as Sheff U have all the form and momentum at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My son put a tenner on us to win the league at the start of the season - I've told him to stop making plans for that money. ;-)
  • Options

Even before Christmas we were grinding out results, difference was they resulted in wins, that's what grinding out a result is about. Now we are struggling to get a draw against relegation candidates. Rochdale tried to attack us & thoroughly deserved their draw as did Bury & MK may consider themselves a bit unlucky. I know that we can't win every game & that we've had a fantastic season so far. I just don't think that we're doing it anymore & last nights team selection & substitutions suggest that CP has also gone off the boil.
  • Options
    Let's see how many games Sheff U continue to win when Ched Evans stops scoring or gets injured. Same with Huddersfield who put too much emphasis on Jordan Rhodes and have a deluded chairman who believes that they should be in the top two because they have 'the best squad in the division'. Or our 'massive' promotion rivals from Hillsborough who have collapsed now Ben Marshall's loan spell with them has finished. For my money we're sitting comfortably top because we have quality scattered evenly throughout our side and haven't put all our eggs in one basket.

Last night we faced a decent side who have been galvanised under a new manager who has got them well drilled and playing decent football when they have the ball. Teams will come to The Valley this season now and make it difficult for us to break them down. It's a combination of fear and respect.

My prediction is that Rochdale won't be anywhere near the bottom four come the end of the season and that both Sheffield teams, Huddersfield and MK will be scrapping over second place about 8 or 9 points behind us on the final day.

A massive gate on Saturday against Stevenage getting behind the team, a game I think we'll win and a game I think our players have been particularly waiting for since we got kicked off the park at their place.
  • Options
    I'm doing my bit - got a car full for Saturday. Took the same 4 people to the game last night!
  • Options
    Also not so confiedent of picking up my cash from william hill now! Maybee they knew somthing when they gave me 20-1
  • Options
    Just getting a little jittery now! We've all seen various Charlton teams in the past start their Summer holidays early! A bit concerned though as I thought our squad was deep and well thought out enough to still be the dogs doodahs when we were missing a few as always happens at this time of the year.I think this "Think the worse" syndrome just comes from the emotional damage our beloved Charlton have done to us all over the years!
    Having said that I still reckon we will still win the title.COYR!
  • Options
    great idea mate ;)
  • Options
    You people worry too much. Even if Sheff.United win their derby (unlikely) and we get beaten by Stevenage (also unlikely), the others are too
    far away behind us. It won't happen. Keep smiling, we're going up. I'm convinced it'll happen either at Boundary Park or when we host Walsall.
  • Options
    Every team in that leaque would love 2 b where we are cos were top and going up champions
  • Options
    I still believe that we're going up & I'm not knocking the team who have been brilliant for most of the season whether playing brilliant football or as in recent months having enough to grab 3 points when not playing the free flowing style that we were earlier in the season. I just think that we've hit a blip & we're struggling to get one point let alone three. It would be great to see us play the ball around on saturday, make stevenage work & tire them out instead of the aimless hoof upfront which will play right into their hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Winston had it .. (or was it FDR?) .. 'we have nothing to fear, except fear itself'