Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The positive thinking thread

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
We are top of the league near the end if February. 7 points clear OF SECOND! Many more clear of third. We are unbeaten at home this season and have a great squad, manager and board who all want the same thing. PROMOTION!

Stop complaining and look at the table!

Comments

• Options
    I agree, stop moaning and get behind the team...
  • Options
    What worries us is that all the teams behind the team will not be behind the team come April !
  • Options
    I listened to the commentary and it sounded as if Yann had a very good game.

We are 12 points clear and a game in hand of 3rd, if we win on Saturday we shall be 15 points clear.

CP tried something different tonight and by all accounts it did not work, he has time to learn before Saturday.

If I had choice I'd rather take 3 points off Stevenage than Rochdale

Solly and Jackson might be fit by Saturday.

• Options
    If you'd seen tonight you would be very concerned about their ability to take 3 points off Steveange on saturday. Sorry, but the last few performances are very like the sort of stuff we watch when CP saw us through 13 games without a win.
  • Options
    Well. At least we aren't losing! I strongly believe that we are in our blip and ate about to come out of it and finish the season strongly. So, in my view our blip had been quite good including just the one game without taking home a point.

Saturday will be a big game. BWP will score and Cafc get a good win with a convincing performance.
  • Options
    I think i prefer the title of this thread than some of the others on here at the moment!
  • Options
    Positive thoughts:
    1) Midweek games mean I actually leave work on time rather than staying till 9pm.
    2) Great free kick again
    3) We avoided defeat against the worst team I have seen at The Valley this season
    4) We now know Wiggins is a crap RB so won't make that mistake again
    5) We are well clear of third so have some breathing space if we have a sticky patch.
    6) Games like that show the board we will need investment in the summer if we are promoted.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It's another point in the bag, and a useful reality check. We're in a great position, but we're not invincible, and we've got a heavy schedule of games coming up. Even if we lose to Stevenage, and all the other teams in the top six win however many games they need to get to played 32 games, the table's still going to look like this:

Charlton P32 Pts69
    Sheff Utd P32 Pts68
    Huddersfield P32 Pts61
    Stevenage P32 Pts60
    MK Dons P32 Pts58
    Sheff Wed P32 Pts57

Not much of a gap to second, but 8 points clear of 3rd! Yes, wining the title would be good, but promotion is the important thing, and we're still in a pretty damn awesome position.
  • Options

Charlton P32 Pts69
    Sheff Utd P32 Pts68
    Huddersfield P32 Pts61
    Stevenage P32 Pts60
    MK Dons P32 Pts58
    Sheff Wed P32 Pts57
    Looks worse for the massives then it does for us!

• Options
    honestly dont know what has gone wrong though this past month. Yes we've still been picking up points but the performances have been ones that we expected to see last season. Its all gone a bit stale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you'd seen tonight you would be very concerned about their ability to take 3 points off Steveange on saturday. Sorry, but the last few performances are very like the sort of stuff we watch when CP saw us through 13 games without a win.
    Yes, but we have a lot better players now. This is a temporary blip. I fully expect us to come back and beat Stevenage.

• Options
    We are going up, the gap might close a bit and then open up again, true were struggling midweek at home against lower positioned sides but Saturday will be different, look at our performances when we have needed them against the top clubs.

CP will know he got it wrong tonight with some of his choices but two fantastic saves from their keeper kept them in it at times. we do need to improve against some of the sides happy to nick a point at the Valley but seriously some of the doom and gloom among us is desperate. It is unlikely to ever get mutch better than this with regards to points on the board and a lead so big.

The bloke at the end of my row tonight twice tried kicking the empty seat off its hinges in raw rage at substitutions and I cant believe he wasnt thrown out, cursing every touch and you would have thought we had never won at home as opposed to remaining unbeaten. He didnt even see the irony of his attitude whe he shouted "this will go 6ft over, useless French T!!t" when YK stepped up.

I am remaining positive as the thread suggests and will only panic when the gap to 3rd is 3 points which is at least another three games away.
  • Options
    Its easy to be a pessimist, can say told you so when it goes wrong, and not mind when it goes right.
  • Options
    12 points clear of 3rd place - what's not to be positive about?
  • Options
    i'm still 90% we will go up and i dont wear rose tinted everything is always wonderful in charlton land glasses

• Options
    i'm still 90% we will go up and i dont wear rose tinted everything is always wonderful in charlton land glasses

You still wearing your SCP boxer shorts?

• Options
    Really don't understand this. CP is in his first full season as Manager so will make mistakes. It is a learning curve for him and the fact that we are top and assured of the play offs at the very least with a totally new squad is, frankly, unbelievable.

Ask the fans of any of the other 23 clubs in our division where they'd like to be right now.
  • Options
    Positive thoughts:
    1) Midweek games mean I actually leave work on time rather than staying till 9pm.
    2) Great free kick again
    3) We avoided defeat against the worst team I have seen at The Valley this season
    4) We now know Wiggins is a crap RB so won't make that mistake again
    5) We are well clear of third so have some breathing space if we have a sticky patch.
    6) Games like that show the board we will need investment in the summer if we are promoted.
    No 3....certainly didn't think they were that bad a side really, their CH had a good game as did the bald No 8, thought they knocked the ball about quite nicely at times.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Really don't understand this. CP is in his first full season as Manager so will make mistakes. It is a learning curve for him and the fact that we are top and assured of the play offs at the very least with a totally new squad is, frankly, unbelievable.

Ask the fans of any of the other 23 clubs in our division where they'd like to be right now.
    You will always get a few but the vast majority are not doubting the overall state of affairs. Of course SCP is the best thing since sliced bread for us but last night he majorly contributed to the disjointed display of a group of players we have come to expect so much more from all season. In keeping with the title of this thread hopefully lessons will have been learnt, some serious rectifying work will be put in at the training ground and a good performance plus 3 points will follow on Saturday as we move ever closer to the title. COYR

• Options
    12 points clear of 3rd place - what's not to be positive about?
    Plus an extra point for the vastly superior goal average!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally agree with you BensonFC. Top of table.170 comments on the post match review, nearly all negative and only 21 on the Positive thinking thread.
    People have short memories.
    This team has lost only 2 games.
    They have shown guts and determination to get this far. Do people really believe that we are that far superior to the other teams in this division?
    I just don't get the negativity. It must be really disappointig for the players and manager to read the negative comments on some of the other threads considering the improvement from last season.
    I for one am on cloud nine and I haven't even seen a game ( I live in Australia)
    COYR
  • Options

I for one am on cloud nine and I haven't even seen a game
    Coincidence?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Totally agree with you BensonFC. Top of table.170 comments on the post match review, nearly all negative and only 21 on the Positive thinking thread.
    People have short memories.
    This team has lost only 2 games.
    They have shown guts and determination to get this far. Do people really believe that we are that far superior to the other teams in this division?
    I just don't get the negativity. It must be really disappointig for the players and manager to read the negative comments on some of the other threads considering the improvement from last season.
    I for one am on cloud nine and I haven't even seen a game ( I live in Australia)
    COYR
    Apart from Yann last night's performance was ominously like last season in many ways.

The difference being that these players do seem to give a toss ,unlike some in the last few seasons, and that is why we drew rather than lost.
  • Options

I for one am on cloud nine and I haven't even seen a game
    Coincidence?

I'm stuck on cloud 13, how do you get to nine ?
  • Options
    I'm on cloud 8 and that's quite nice too.
  • Options
    Well I've just found out that 3 of my Millwall supporting friends backed us in their 10 game accumulators last night and we were the only team to let them down. That's cheered me up no end!

Charlton Athletic. Laughing at Millwall since 1905.
  • Options
    The last six games have been against the two Sheffields , MK , Bury ,Rochdale and Tranmere .If we had beaten the last three and only got draws against the promotion contenders then no one would have complained.

As it happens beating our main rivals has put us in a much stronger position as we have won the preverbial six pointers . Three draws equates to one win.

Fifteen games to go . Four wins and eleven draws would see us over the line. A fifth or sixth win would mean we could lose a few .

It is the mark of a sucessful side that we still pick up points when things go badly.
  • Options
    The last six games have been against the two Sheffields , MK , Bury ,Rochdale and Tranmere .If we had beaten the last three and only got draws against the promotion contenders then no one would have complained.

As it happens beating our main rivals has put us in a much stronger position as we have won the preverbial six pointers . Three draws equates to one win.

Fifteen games to go . Four wins and eleven draws would see us over the line. A fifth or sixth win would mean we could lose a few .

It is the mark of a sucessful side that we still pick up points when things go badly.
    Absolutely. Brilliant post couldn't have put it better myself. I had a bet with my husband on boxing day that the same time next season we will be higher than millwall in the league. I don't think I am going to lose that bet. COYR!!!
  • Options

Brilliant way of looking at the "problem"!
  • Options
    Come on, treat it as it is, a game, I was annoyed when the final whistle went, but ok by the time I was walking down Floyd Road, be like this girl, be annoyed, but smile, it ain't that bad